Volkswagen Group Massive Emissions Fraud Scheme

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WetEV said:
SageBrush said:
WetEV said:
Air cooled battery.
Luckily they have weeks between use to let it cool down :lol:

The VW ID R does multiple runs per day.
A Tesla Model S can't do one full speed lap without overheating.

The Tesla Model S is a production car with thermal limits set to preserve battery longevity. The VW ID R is anything but.

Keep on trolling

WetEV said:
VW's Pike's Peak car did a lap around Nürburgring.

Volkswagen I.D. R

6:05.336

Air cooled battery.

919 Evo Porsche is the only car faster, at an amazing 5:19.546

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iZY5IMn0wg

Thanks for the post.

SageBrush said:
WetEV said:
SageBrush said:
Luckily they have weeks between use to let it cool down :lol:

The VW ID R does multiple runs per day.
A Tesla Model S can't do one full speed lap without overheating.

The Tesla Model S is a production car with thermal limits set to preserve battery longevity. The VW ID R is anything but.

Keep on trolling
The ID R manages heat by producing less heat.

ABG:
New documents show how Audi and U.S. marketing issues fostered dieselgate
Audi used emissions-cheating software since at least 2003
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...ftware-tricks-led-to-dirty-dieselgate-scandal

We're nearly four years beyond the black cloud of Volkswagen's dieselgate, and the revelations as to how it happened are still being served like all-you-can eat tapas — small plates, so you're never satisfied from a single helping, but the meal just won't end. The New York Times was privy to a new cache of documents uncovered by Germany's Bayerische Rundufunk station and the newspaper Handelsblatt. They illuminate Aud's cognizant, and perhaps leading, role in propagating the emissions cheating software. Remember, Volkswagen's official line from the beginning was about "rogue employees," and Audi has played up being shell-shocked at this travesty of environmentalism. However, according to the documents, an e-mail from an Audi engineer to his colleagues in 2008 prepared everyone for what was to come with the line, "We don't make it without a few dirty tricks. . . ."

Seems the American luxury buyer's insistence on convenience turned into a key point leading to the saga here. Audi bosses insisted that Americans wouldn't put up with needing to fill the AdBlue supplement tank. Engineers, therefore, were ordered to come up with a solution so that an Audi held enough AdBlue to last for the 10,000-mile dealer service intervals. When the bosses nixed a larger tank because that would impinge on interior space, and nixed installing a second tank because of cost concerns, well, voila. Call the cheat-code guys. . . .

All ABG:
VW's top officers charged in Germany over diesel scandal
Current CEO and chairman, ex-CEO
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/09/24/vws-top-officers-charged-in-germany-over-diesel-scandal/

Fiat Chrysler senior manager charged in U.S. diesel emissions probe
This in the same day VW top officials were charged in Germany.
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/09/24/fca-manager-charged-diesel-emissions/

German prosecutors fine Daimler almost $1 billion for breaking diesel rules
Finishing off the day's trifecta of diesel legal developments
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/09/24/daimler-mercedes-benz-diesel-emissions-fine/

GRA said:
ABG:
470,000 German consumers participate in diesel court case against VW
'A settlement is very difficult, but possible'
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/09/30/vw-german-court-case-consumer-settlement/
I suspect that this case is *really* important to whether VW survives. Not so much the case itself or the 500,000 participants but the possibility that a VW loss will open the flood-gates to litigation in the other countries in Europe. I think I read that over 20 million cars were produced for Europe with the defeat devices.

The solution I'd support would be for VW to be taken over by the German Government, and used to produce EVs and PHEVs. I find I can't shed a tear for a company started by Nazis and that kept much of that mindset for most (all?) of its existence.

VW would have already collapsed under the weight of the 30+ billion USD fines and penalties if not for credit lines arranged for them by the German govt. I cannot say if another $30 billion .... or more ... is possible. I presume it would require the German government to guarantee repayment and a loan payment scheme that stretches out a **long** time at sub-inflation rates.

coulomb said:
LeftieBiker said:
I find I can't shed a tear for a company started by Nazis and that kept much of that mindset for most (all?) of its existence.
Is that perhaps a little harsh? :eek:
How much do you know of VW history from WWII onwards ?

I'm more inclined to view VW in the same way I view the Catholic Church: Extremely hierarchal, with an organizational certainly that corporate success justifies and cleanses just about any immorality.

coulomb said:
LeftieBiker said:
I find I can't shed a tear for a company started by Nazis and that kept much of that mindset for most (all?) of its existence.
Is that perhaps a little harsh? :eek:

Funny (true) story: when VW was trying to combat the sensible bias against stinking diesel engines, they proposed a study to come up with some positive data for PR purposes. They would subject a group of human test subjects to diesel exhaust, pumped in from a diesel engine in the test facility. When American partners strenuously objected to this, they seemed genuinely surprised, and then proposed, reluctantly, that they supposed they could do it with monkeys (IIRC) instead.

I guess that you do have to know a bit about WWII, Nazis, and the Final Solution to fully appreciate the above.

LeftieBiker said:
Funny (true) story: when VW was trying to combat the sensible bias against stinking diesel engines, they proposed a study to come up with some positive data for PR purposes. They would subject a group of human test subjects to diesel exhaust, pumped in from a diesel engine in the test facility. When American partners strenuously objected to this, they seemed genuinely surprised, and then proposed, reluctantly, that they supposed they could do it with monkeys (IIRC) instead.

I guess that you do have to know a bit about WWII, Nazis, and the Final Solution to fully appreciate the above.
That sounds like a fine PR move to me ... using the VW board of directors and senior management. They can eat their own dogfood, as it were.

LeftieBiker said:
Funny (true) story: when VW ... proposed a study... They would subject a group of human test subjects to diesel exhaust...
I have to admit I had to fact check that one. You were none too harsh, it seems. Thanks for the reality check.

Back