MY2014 no more 80% charge option?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomT said:
I am absolutely convinced that the one and only reason that Nissan eliminated the 80% option was to artificially increase the EPA range estimate. Period.
Yep. :( I wish this test were changed so that it's uniform for all vehicles: either force everyone or no vehicles to have their ranges be averages of 80% and 100% charge, so we don't have this crap.
abasile said:
As far back as late 2011 or so, the LEAF community specifically asked Nissan to support a user-settable charge percentage. Nissan, please learn from Tesla in this area.
Agree. And, it was a request from a guy at the Phoenix meeting (by Jim Stack?).

Using the charging timers to limit charge is kludgy and inconvenient, even more so for S trim level.

Another bad thing about always going to 100% is lack of regen.
I like using 80% so I don't have to wait for the battery to run down enough to have room to accept regen charge. The friction brakes will probably wear more because of this change. It would hurt efficiency if you do stop & go driving soon after getting a full charge.

TEG said:
Another bad thing about always going to 100% is lack of regen.
I like using 80% so I don't have to wait for the battery to run down enough to have room to accept regen charge. The friction brakes will probably wear more because of this change. It would hurt efficiency if you do stop & go driving soon after getting a full charge.
Yes - this is the reason I use 80% charging as well.

Nissan should give a "full regen charge" option.

smkettner said:
What level is used to give Tesla the EPA rating?

Since Tesla allows 50-100% SOC rating they just use 100%. Tesla used to have standard and range charges and the EPA would have probably used an average of standard and range. Quickly Tesla changed to the slider and avoided the new EPA rule. One advantage of being a small company able to make quick decisions and also to make software changes over the air.

The EPA rule just shows how even well intentioned people in government can make completely stupid decisions that are counter productive.

There's an excellent LEAF battery degradation model available:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Battery_Capacity_Loss#Battery_Aging_Model" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

that has shown to be very accurate for a reasonably large number of cars. This model *does not use* whether the car was 100% or 80% charged as an input at all, which strongly suggests that the degradation is insignificantly different based on charge level.

I can anecdotally support this, as we have a group of LEAF drivers at my office, and all of their cars fit the degradation model quite well, and just over half of us leave the car charged at 100% all the time.

What you mean that there is no 80% recharge option? We saw that menu option on our new (May 2015) Leaf while using a CHAdeMO, thought it sounded good, and set it . Two weeks later, we thought we'd charge up to 100% just to practice toggling the switch, and SURPRISE SURPRISE SURPRISE! There was no longer such an option anywhere in the menu. Now we are stuck with only the 80% option. Very mysterious. Somehow we accessed what must be old, inactivated but residual code.

We spent half an hour looking for a way to reset it to 100%, then we gave up.

bedtimeforbonzo said:
What you mean that there is no 80% recharge option? We saw that menu option on our new (May 2015) Leaf while using a CHAdeMO, thought it sounded good, and set it .
The end-of-recharge criteria for a CHAdeMO fast charging session are functions of the particular CHAdeMO station, not the car (except that the car does seem to protect itself against overcharging). At least, that's the impression I've gotten from the four or five different types of CHAdeMO stations I've ever used. I always leave my 2012 charge timer set for "80% charging, ending at 07:00". In order to use a public L1 or L2 charger at reasonable hours, I have to hit the LEAF's "timer override" button, but that isn't necessary when fast-charging. Another observation is that the Aerovironment CHAdeMO stations don't have ANY user-selectable "stop charging at" criteria; they'll keep charging until the car indicates full or the operator presses their "Stop" button. A Blink CHAdeMO session, however, can be set to stop charging at any multiple of 10% state-of-charge from 40 to 100 (or maybe lower, but I've never been interested in anything less than 60%, particularly as the Blink stations also sense the LEAFs charge level as being about 20% higher than it actually is)

^^^
Yep. It stuck around in some regions for longer (IIRC, model year 2015 in Ireland had it).

If someone wants it, get an EV that has a limiter (e.g. all Teslas, '19+ Bolt, Kona Electric) or get an EVSE that can make educated guesses to limit for you (e.g. JuiceBox). Otherwise, one will have to muck w/timers or unplugging early.

(thread resurrection)
So, '13 Leafs besides mentioning in the manual all sorts of precautions about not going beyond 80% unless needed also came with a disclosure form like https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/ManualsAndGuides/NissanLEAF/2013/2013-NissanLEAF-Customer-Disclosure-Form.pdf. Latter half of page 2 there also discusses them.

Since the '14 US manual seems to have most of the precautions, did anyone receive a similar disclosure form with their '14? Can you post a pic of the gradual capacity loss section or confirm whether it has the same verbiage as the above in that section? What version and date are at the bottom of that page?

Back