2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another good review. This one speaks highly of the quality.

https://m.heise.de/autos/artikel/Test-Nissan-Leaf-e-mit-62-kWh-4500147.html?wt_ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&wt_t=1566471190286

DougWantsALeaf said:
Another good review. This one speaks highly of the quality.

https://m.heise.de/autos/artikel/Test-Nissan-Leaf-e-mit-62-kWh-4500147.html?wt_ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&wt_t=1566471190286

Ugh. Learned some new vocabulary on that one. Still. Reassuring to see others like the car for being just what it is. A solid good car. Looking forward to ours next spring.

DougWantsALeaf said:
While small, the number of Leaf sales in Germany is growing.

Doug a while back I seem to recall you (maybe you) making a comment on an experience you had or heard about with reserve km or miles left when battery was low. If that was you can you tell me how it presented itself. Eg? 10 percent on the GOM and then X amount of km left etc. How many kilometres travelled at that point. Total including reserve range etc. Just a curiousity thing.

Thanks Doug.

I don’t know if this is what you were looking for but as I rolled in from traveling back from Bloomington IN to north of Chicago, my gom was —- and showing 1% for miles on the GOM (at least 4-5) yet I had not yet hit very low battery, and Leaf spy was still showing 4+ kWh remaining.

I need to take the car to Turtle, just haven’t had the time.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I don’t know if this is what you were looking for but as I rolled in from traveling back from Bloomington IN to north of Chicago, my gom was —- and showing 1% for miles on the GOM (at least 4-5) yet I had not yet hit very low battery, and Leaf spy was still showing 4+ kWh remaining.

So informed speculation on range at 1 percent. 15 - 20 km????

Likely more. You have probably 12 careful miles or nearly 20km at very low battery. So at the point it hits 1% I would guess 25-30km.

I have been curious to understand why more posters have not tried the very low end of the battery to test available range.

When I am bored next and have a lower battery I will try to do slow circles around our library lot and charger, it just takes a long long time. When I did my 120 mile run in my 2013 Leaf it took hours to run off the last 30 miles.

In a Plus...so long to do the test, unless riding in on empty.

webeleafowners said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

So informed speculation on range at 1 percent. 15 - 20 km????

Well, we can speculate. As packs have grown, reserve range has grown but % has been relatively static. I went to "below zero" the other day (for lack of a better term) when SOC meter went to "_ _ _" and had 11.7% SOC according to LEAF Spy. Now how much of that is usable is dependent on

1) How fast you are driving. Turtle is voltage triggered so an abrupt and heavy demand for power could likely trigger Turtle early if a single cell hits that voltage threshold.

2) Pack balance. I don't really charge to 100% unless I need it and haven't needed it more than twice in the past 5 months but my pack is very much in line so the idea of charging to full once a month to balance is probably not a good one.

3) Although not the time mentioned, I have gone to as low as 1.3% and a handful of times below 2%

Now, my foray into "below zero" was not all that exciting. I went to Chehalis planning to charge but there was a abandoned Bolt sitting there at 60% that had been charging over 30 minutes. Not willing to wait, I decided on Centralia which was only 4½ miles away.

There are side streets 40 mph with only ½ of freeway (VERY long on/off ramp actually) at 60 mph so an easy drive on the battery. I made it with 5-6 miles to spare.

When I went to "_ _ _" on the SOC meter, it said I had 12 miles of range and up to that time, it had been all freeway at 70 mph

To be clear I am not suggesting frequent trips down below 0, rather that you are far from stranded when gauge hits 1%. From what I have seen online, the other cars (ex Tesla) leave a much smaller buffer at the bottom, maybe 1%, so would be more careful if driving those cars at extent of range. Even with the smart guesstimate of range on arrival, one unforeseen detour or rainstorm/snow storm could foil the best laid plans.

Happened to me by my dealer and they said they cannot get Plus inventory. Demand (at least in Midwest) is higher than supply.

He mentioned a pattern where consumers price shop the Plus vs. a Tesla 3 then eventually come back once they realize the all in price difference is still 10K or more all discounts included.

Still a NIssan Plus Squared with 300 epa miles would be great! Guessing it would carry a 40K starting price though.

We're going to drive just under 500 miles in our Leaf Plus this Friday, going from Seattle to Ashland, OR. We've previously done this trip in a 30kWh and a 40kWh Leaf, and in both cases we were charging at ~16kW by the last leg of the trip, making the whole drive take over 12 hours. This year we have errands to run in the morning and can't leave before 9am, but have tickets for a play in Ashland at 8pm that night. From our shorter 300-400 mile trips earlier this summer I think we should be able to make it with an hour to spare, but I'm a little nervous. I'll try to record charging rates and temperatures from LeafSpy, and we'll see if we make it.

Astros said:
We're going to drive just under 500 miles in our Leaf Plus this Friday, going from Seattle to Ashland, OR. We've previously done this trip in a 30kWh and a 40kWh Leaf, and in both cases we were charging at ~16kW by the last leg of the trip, making the whole drive take over 12 hours. This year we have errands to run in the morning and can't leave before 9am, but have tickets for a play in Ashland at 8pm that night. From our shorter 300-400 mile trips earlier this summer I think we should be able to make it with an hour to spare, but I'm a little nervous. I'll try to record charging rates and temperatures from LeafSpy, and we'll see if we make it.

Looking forward to your report. Thank you.

Very exciting trip indeed.

My son has been pushing me to have us try the 500KM in 5 hour challenge. With the faster EA chargers, I think its possible will a well placed charger.

I would like to also try doing the 1K Km challenge, as I think the time Bjorn recorded can be easily bested...but again its finding the time and route to give that a run.

In my trip to Door County and back, total mileage was only about 480 total miles. Total travel time was about 4.5 hours one direction for the 240 miles, as not all of it was 70mph, and I had a 30 minute top (plus 5 minutes on either side to get to the station) up stop to give me a shorter amount of charging time in Door County (I rolled in at 20% on the dash vs. what would have been 1%).

So 11 hours for 500 miles should certainly be doable with all fast charging. As long as its <60 degrees out, you likely won't hit rapid gate issues. At 51F outside, my battery temperature was declining even when driving aggressively. My temp started in low 70's and peaked at 88 after 45 minutes of rapid charging on the way home (I left Door county at 80%, so had to get a top up on the way back to Chicago). Between that charge and getting home, the temperature declined about 5-6 degrees. This suggests that you need 30F difference between battery and outside before expecting to see cooling when driving hard.

Please report back after the journey.

Astros said:
We're going to drive just under 500 miles in our Leaf Plus this Friday, going from Seattle to Ashland, OR. ... From our shorter 300-400 mile trips earlier this summer I think we should be able to make it with an hour to spare, but I'm a little nervous. I'll try to record charging rates and temperatures from LeafSpy, and we'll see if we make it.
Will be interesting ! My guess is that you juuust make it if the DCFCs are well spaced. Expect a more 'scenic' drive back home.

Bjorn Nyland has done a series of tests this summer in Norway driving 1000 km (620 miles) in different EVs. His 62 kWh LEAF test on a 30C (86F) day took 15:30 hours for an average speed of 40 mph

Astros said:

Wow that is a tough challenge. Even a gasser wouldn't have much cushion. A single traffic issue could be enough to derail you. Not sure I would have planned it that way.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Wow that is a tough challenge. Even a gasser wouldn't have much cushion. A single traffic issue could be enough to derail you. Not sure I would have planned it that way.

It looks like the weather will be favorable for this trip, since it should be 40-60F and sunny during the day. That should help keep the pack cool, though last year with our 40kWh Leaf it was only a little warmer out and the pack got up to ~128F. Leaving this time of the day tends to avoid the worst traffic, but if there's an accident on I-5 anywhere before Portland then we'll hit traffic there. I wouldn't normally cut it this close, but we bought the tickets nearly a year ago and only last month discovered that we'd also have to be running this errand in the morning.

Astros said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

It looks like the weather will be favorable for this trip, since it should be 40-60F and sunny during the day. That should help keep the pack cool, though last year with our 40kWh Leaf it was only a little warmer out and the pack got up to ~128F. Leaving this time of the day tends to avoid the worst traffic, but if there's an accident on I-5 anywhere before Portland then we'll hit traffic there. I wouldn't normally cut it this close, but we bought the tickets nearly a year ago and only last month discovered that we'd also have to be running this errand in the morning.

I am guessing you have noticed that "rush hour" is COMPLETELY redefined on Friday? Its my guess its due to a significant # of people working 4 day weeks (I am one of them) or taking half days off. Track your trip and report back. I would be interested in seeing how you do.

Best bet; shorter charging stints taking advantage of max power of station before knee. I am guessing 2 meal breaks? That alone should be more than enough to get you the range you need as long as the starting SOC is low enough. I would avoid charging past 75% SOC unless unavoidable while taking a meal and finally; a 10 minute charge for potty break is better than no charge at all.

A LEAF charging optimization thought I have been mulling over that I think Bjorn Nyland has also mentioned is to drive faster during the first part of a leg and slower for the 30 - 45 minutes before you reach your next charging stop. Perhaps 65 and 55 mph as a WAG. Your goal is to not be hobbled by rapid-gate. It will help you to monitor battery temps throughout your drive to help plan driving speeds.

Two other thoughts:
At long stops (e.g. a meal) do not start charging until the battery temp is below rapid-gate level

You can "speed" during the final leg to your destination if needed

Back