Recommended replacement tire

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Semi-long-term update:

On my original (almost bald) Ecopias I was getting about 5.1 mi/kWh on the dashboard average (which I reset only every couple of months). When I replaced those with new Ecopia+, that dropped to 4.7, then recovered at least a couple of tenths after they wore in. I kept them at 44 PSI

Early last winter, I replaced those with Conti PureContact EcoPlus, which are now showing 4.5 on the latest reset, running at 47 PSI. It seems fair to say that those cost a little over 10% in range, but they are a bit better for traction on wet pavement (which I can't quantify, but I notice less wheelspin), so I am willing to take the range hit for now.

The new Ecopias are stacked under my deck and may go back on when the Contis wear out. I'll probably have barely 10 bars or just dropped to 9 bars then (currently mid-way through bar 11, I think: SOH is averaging 82.5 of late), if the Contis live up to their treadwear rating..

The dealer informed me at my annual battery check that my OEM Ecopias are at 4mm after 13k miles. Just another data point showing how crappy those tires are. I had a flat that was non-repairable on one so I've found a complete set of Ecopia + tires to replace them. I have 2 mounted now and will replace the other 2 this fall probably, before winter sets in. I imagine by then I'll have around 15-16k miles on them and they will be about done. I run 40ish PSI.

lutefisk said:
My '15 SL has only 18k miles on the original Ecopias and 3 of the 4 have 3/32" tread left.

Sheesh.

Costco's picks are all Michelins at $700+ for a set of four.

Whoa.

Price the aftermarket Ecopias that CostCo likely sells. They are much better tires than the crappy OEM down-rated version.

LeftieBiker said:
lutefisk said:
My '15 SL has only 18k miles on the original Ecopias and 3 of the 4 have 3/32" tread left.

Sheesh.

Costco's picks are all Michelins at $700+ for a set of four.

Whoa.

Price the aftermarket Ecopias that CostCo likely sells. They are much better tires than the crappy OEM down-rated version.
They are and should be closer to $500 or less if you happen to catch the deal for $70-100 off when you purchase 4 Bridgestones(they also, although not at the same time) have the $70 off when you purchase 4 Michelines(which I personally would have preferred but at the time I really needed them Costco had the special on Bridgestones) and yes the Ecopia+'s are worlds better than the CRAP OEM Ecopia's.

Hi all,

Just bought some tires (for 16" steel wheels) that were a pretty good deal so I thought I would pass it along.

Kumho Solus TA31 All- Season Radial Tire-205/55R16. 60k mile tire. Consumer Reports ratings are pretty good, especially the rolling resistance which is an "excellent". Same as the OEM Bridgestone Ecopias. These are $48 each, free prime shipping, no tax for me. The tires that arrived for me were made in early 2019 and were made in the USA. Not the best in the ice, but I live in Florida. Seemed like a particularly good deal. Enjoy!

https://www.amazon.com/Kumho-Solus-Season-Radial-Tire-205/dp/B07HBBXQKB/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

http://www.kumhotireusa.com/tire-category-sub-detail/passenger/high-performance/51/solus-ta31

*update*
Nice and quiet. We'll see if there is a range difference. The previous owner of my car had a random mix of tires on on it.

Well, just goes to show that one should best look. Turns out I have Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires original on my '15 SL.

Same tires that Costco has for $842 installed.

Pass.

For once, I won't be getting tires at Costco.

I’ve been looking at a second set of wheels and winter tires to fit our needs for the new Leaf. I’ve posted before that we take tire selection seriously. We run dedicated winter tires on all of our year-round drivers.

Have settled on MB Wynter 17x7 wheels and Conti Wintercontact SI tires in 205/50R17. But we’ll move the stock all-seasons to the new wheels since they’re wider and presumably less aerodynamic. Winters will go on the stock wheels. The new wheels weigh 20# and have a 40mm offset. A sculpted split 5-spoke design.

The Contis are a new tire that tests well, comparable to the x-Ice3s at 40% savings. Same weight. Similar tread pattern.

We’ll have opportunity to compare wheel design and weight with the remount. The stock setup has been running consistently at 4.2 mi/kWh with my driving cycle and habits. I drive in B around town. Very little highway, just suburbs, errands etc. I’ve been driving the leaf like any other car to see how it does, which is to say not like a baby carriage, but not too aggressively either. :)

So first we can try the same driving style on stock tires with new wheels under similar conditions. This winter we’ll see the new tires on the stock wheels in colder conditions.

Should be interesting.

Edit: I suppose I should mention that the package ran ~$1k after taxes and rebates, including TPMS sensors and labor. Discount Tire. Not unhappy with that price. Also fixed some typos and added bits for clarity.

I'll just throw in my 0.02. I had to brake hard because a box truck turned into my lane without looking. If I could have stopped 3 feet sooner, he probably wouldn't have hit my Leaf. I have had experience with summer and performance tires, and I think that 'low rolling resistance' tires do have less traction. I think my next set of tires will be dedicated summer tires, to match with the dedicated set of winter tires I have.

If you don't need every single km in the battery each day, I'd probably recommend just a normal set of tires.

If you need to save range, perhaps try a set of performance wheels. The stock wheels are about 21 pounds each. I have a set of aftermarket ones (and there are others) that are in the 12-pound range. Saves rotational and unsprung mass.

danowpg said:
If you don't need every single km in the battery each day, I'd probably recommend just a normal set of tires.

If you need to save range, perhaps try a set of performance wheels. The stock wheels are about 21 pounds each. I have a set of aftermarket ones (and there are others) that are in the 12-pound range. Saves rotational and unsprung mass.

Agree. Except that the stock 17" wheels appear to be a good bit heavier. I haven't been able to confirm yet, but will do so after tomorrow, when we mount the stock Michelins to our new wheels. The stock wheel + tire assembly weighs about 46#, implying a wheel weight closer to 25# if the specs on the Michelins is accurate.

When the Michelins have worn out, I'll be looking for a different energy efficient tire that also has some grip. I had a stoplight change unexpectedly the other day, and got into the brakes hard for the first time under ideal conditions - the car immediately dropped into ABS, and I had to threshold brake to stop in time. Not confidence inspiring. They're really nothing to write home about.

frontrangeleaf said:
danowpg said:

Agree. Except that the stock 17" wheels appear to be a good bit heavier. I haven't been able to confirm yet, but will do so after tomorrow, when we mount the stock Michelins to our new wheels. The stock wheel + tire assembly weighs about 46#, implying a wheel weight closer to 25# if the specs on the Michelins is accurate.

When the Michelins have worn out, I'll be looking for a different energy efficient tire that also has some grip. I had a stoplight change unexpectedly the other day, and got into the brakes hard for the first time under ideal conditions - the car immediately dropped into ABS, and I had to threshold brake to stop in time. Not confidence inspiring. They're really nothing to write home about.
And if anyone's interested, I have a set of SSR Type F's that I still haven't sold from 3 years ago that match the stock 16" wheel specs:
https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=22027

The 17-inch OEM Michelins that came on the 2015 were the worst radial tires I have owned. I now have another set and will be replacing the ones that came on the 2019 with something better when they wear out (which won't be long).

GerryAZ said:
The 17-inch OEM Michelins that came on the 2015 were the worst radial tires I have owned. I now have another set and will be replacing the ones that came on the 2019 with something better when they wear out (which won't be long).

Were the Michelins Energy Savers? I have them on our 2017 Fusion Energi, and the slightest bit of spit on the road will cause them to slide...at 29k miles, about 1/2 tread remaining.

I've been extremely happy with the Bridgestone Ecopia PLUS...in the OEM 17" size, on OEM steel wheels.

I can confirm that the stock 17” wheels weigh more like 25#, not 20 like the 16s.

New wheels look great. No noticeable impact on range (about 5# lighter presumably less aero though).

When the Michelin’s wear out, we may try the Conti Pure Contact LS tires for our all-seasons.

Seem to test well.

gncndad said:
GerryAZ said:

Were the Michelins Energy Savers? I have them on our 2017 Fusion Energi, and the slightest bit of spit on the road will cause them to slide...at 29k miles, about 1/2 tread remaining.

I've been extremely happy with the Bridgestone Ecopia PLUS...in the OEM 17" size, on OEM steel wheels.

Yes, the OEM tires on the 2015 were Energy Savers and the 2019 has the same tires. Let's just say wet traction is marginal with the Energy Savers even with almost new tread. I put Bridgestone Ecopia PLUS tires on the 2015 the last time I replaced tires and I was happy with them. I may use those on the 2019 when the Michelins wear out, but I may try some sport performance tires since range (rolling resistance) is not an issue.

Back