Nissan LEAF Reservations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today we announced that so far, we've secured 6,635 US reservations- in only three days!

A couple of other interesting tidbits:
• We had 2,700 reservations in the first 3 hours that reservations opened.
• 75% of reservations are for the upper trim level (includes fog lights, automatic headlights, rear-view monitor & solar panel spoiler)
• About 75% are from our primary launch markets where we have working partnerships (California, Washington, Oregon, Arizona and Tennessee)
• Most popular colors: blue and silver (other colors are red, black and white)

Here are a few articles -
Wired: http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/04/strong-demand-nissan-leaf/
LATIMES: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/money_co/2010/04/nissan-says-reservations-for-electric-leaf-brisk.html
Gas 2.0 - http://gas2.org/2010/04/23/6635-nissan-leaf-reservations-in-just-over-two-days/

Who on this forum has registered?! What color and features did you choose?

If you are still having a problem processing your Priority Reservation, you can manually reserve through our helpline at 1-877-NO GAS EV (664-2738). If you hadn't signed up on the website ahead of time, reservations will open to the general public on May 15.

I certainly reserved n the first day. Blue with SL trim level. Would have gone for green if offered. I am on of the 25% outside of the launch geographies. (Pennsylvania)

Jessica...a quick question.

Let's say somebody put down a deposit in the first hours, has a low reservation number, but doesn't live in an early release city/state.

Could a person that lives in let's say Albuquerque, New Mexico (not an early release city) drive down to Phoenix, AZ (which is an early release city) and get their LEAF in the early roll out cars?

Some people would like an electric car ASAP :)

Thanks

Gavin

JesswithNissan said:
Today we announced that so far, we've secured 6,635 US reservations- in only three days!

A couple of other interesting tidbits:
• We had 2,700 reservations in the first 3 hours that reservations opened.
• 75% of reservations are for the upper trim level (includes fog lights, automatic headlights, rear-view monitor & solar panel spoiler)
• About 75% are from our primary launch markets where we have working partnerships (California, Washington, Oregon, Arizona and Tennessee)
• Most popular colors: blue and silver (other colors are red, black and white)

Here are a few articles -
Wired: http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/04/strong-demand-nissan-leaf/
LATIMES: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/money_co/2010/04/nissan-says-reservations-for-electric-leaf-brisk.html
Gas 2.0 - http://gas2.org/2010/04/23/6635-nissan-leaf-reservations-in-just-over-two-days/

Who on this forum has registered?! What color and features did you choose?

If you are still having a problem processing your Priority Reservation, you can manually reserve through our helpline at 1-877-NO GAS EV (664-2738). If you hadn't signed up on the website ahead of time, reservations will open to the general public on May 15.

Hi Jessica! Welcome to the forum! :) I reserved a Silver SL around 3:15 PM on the 20th (signed up on your website in Nov.).

Gavin said:
Jessica...a quick question.

Let's say somebody put down a deposit in the first hours, has a low reservation number, but doesn't live in an early release city/state.

Could a person that lives in let's say Albuquerque, New Mexico (not an early release city) drive down to Phoenix, AZ (which is an early release city) and get their LEAF in the early roll out cars?

Some people would like an electric car ASAP :)

Thanks

Gavin

I'm not Jessica, but I can answer this one for ya...No, for many reasons: There will be no dealer repair support in NM, they want to closely monitor the early rollout cars, there will be no charging stations there like in the rollout cities, and you MAY have to show proof of residency for the intial rollout.

And then the other side of that coin is that Nissan has said you can buy it from any Leaf Certified Nissan dealer you want to. Does not have to be local to you. They may not even have specified a certified dealer, they may have said any Nissan dealer.

Gavin said:

I wouldn't go to AZ. They may start demanding Passports & Visas ;-)

A related question, very important to many of us:

Nissan has specified I think five (???) states that are early roll-out markets. Will they sell the Leaf throughout those states, or only in one or a few of the principal cities in those states?

Of particular interest to me, living in Spokane, is whether the leaf will be sold here, or only in the Seattle area, where charging stations are being installed. I do not need charging stations away from home. I'll never drive the car farther than 80 miles in a day, and very seldom farther than 40 or 50.

So, will I be able to buy one? Or will I have to wait until the national roll-out?

My guess is that the first 4700 (or 5000, or so) Leafs go just to the 10 (or 11) rollout cities that the NissanUsa site shows.

In CA, that is only one city, the San Diego area.

Question is, how big is the "area" around San Diego's "center" that Nissan is "supporting" for the rollout?

daniel, I really do think the December rollout is only for the 10 cities on the "EV Project" map list... it was supposed to be a year before they where available in other areas originally, but maybe Nissan will move that up, since there are not a lot more initial hand raisers than the orignal 4700 max number for the rollout area, they could probably get them to the customers who want them much sooner, as long as we probably sign some type of waiver that "public" charging is not yet availble in your area. As you said, many of us are fine with just home charging (even with just the 120V trickle charging setup that comes with the Leaf, as they won't even have the electrician networks setup in other areas yet), and we are looking at the Leaf as a "commuter" vehicle, and our roundtrip to/from work is well below the range of the Leaf (mine is only 34 miles rountrip, for example)

EV Project initial rollout: http://www.theevproject.com/overview.php

I've generally referred to them as regions rather than cities or states. I don't think it will be a set number of miles from "ground zero". I think it will be based on infrastructure and will look like early cell coverage maps.

Areas within a few miles of planned charging stations will receive preference over those in more rural areas. Simply my guess.

I'm hoping (as are many others) that the EV Project complements, but does not define, the initial roll-out. They never said Seattle was the market. They said Washington. You could very well be right. But they have never clarified that, and if after all it's only Seattle, I will feel that they were dishonest with us. Why say "Washington" if they meant only Seattle?

I gather that Nissan is one of the sponsors of the EV Project, but has never committed to limiting its initial roll-out to EV Project areas. The EV Project makes EVs in its regions more versatile, but there is no logical reason why Nissan must limit itself to the areas chosen by the EV Project.

I sure wish Jessica would come on here and clarify that.

HOW ABOUT IT, JESSICA???

Her presence on this board is the reason I signed up. If she's going to hide, I won't have much reason to come here. Sorry if that sounds petty. But Nissan is being awfully stingy with information, and that does not reflect well on them, or inspire a lot of good will.

daniel said:
I'm hoping (as are many others) that the EV Project complements, but does not define, the initial roll-out. They never said Seattle was the market. They said Washington. You could very well be right. But they have never clarified that, and if after all it's only Seattle, I will feel that they were dishonest with us. Why say "Washington" if they meant only Seattle?

I gather that Nissan is one of the sponsors of the EV Project, but has never committed to limiting its initial roll-out to EV Project areas. The EV Project makes EVs in its regions more versatile, but there is no logical reason why Nissan must limit itself to the areas chosen by the EV Project.

I sure wish Jessica would come on here and clarify that.

HOW ABOUT IT, JESSICA???

Her presence on this board is the reason I signed up. If she's going to hide, I won't have much reason to come here. Sorry if that sounds petty. But Nissan is being awfully stingy with information, and that does not reflect well on them, or inspire a lot of good will.
Daniel,
I think Jessica probably gets paid by Nissan and works a 9-5 M-F job with weekends, holidays and 2 weeks paid vacation a year. I also suspect her job entails other duties besides hanging out at this little forum answering all of our random questions.

I think it's great that she's participating, but we have to be appreciative of the limits of both her time and on what she is allowed by Nissan to say.

The city-regions are listed for each of the 5 states.

Only San Diego in CA
Seattle in WA
3 (or 4) in Oregon
2 in AZ
3 in TN

I have not seen anything that would imply that any whole state would be allowed to buy anytime soon.

Sorry.

garygid said:

Only San Diego in CA
Seattle in WA
3 (or 4) in Oregon
2 in AZ
3 in TN

I have not seen anything that would imply that any whole state would be allowed to buy anytime soon.

Sorry.

Oh its spelled out EXACTLY what the 10 cities are:

"In the summer of 2010, charging infrastructure will be deployed in the following major population areas: Phoenix (AZ), Tucson (AZ), San Diego (CA), Portland (OR), Eugene (OR), Corvallis (OR), Seattle (WA), Nashville (TN), Knoxville (TN) and Chattanooga (TN). The Nissan LEAF will be available in those same areas in the fall of 2010 to consumers and fleets"

http://www.theevproject.com/overview.php

and I really do believe the December 2010 initial deployment will just be the 10 listed, this is a very large bet for Nissan, I don't think they want to take any chances on it not being succesful, even though many of us would be fine with just home charging in areas without public charging... It's also that their dealer network isn't fully trained accross all states yet either, so it's more than just public charging that is the issue.

As for communication, heck Nissan has done a very good job for a car that is not yet available. The have a website they update quite often. They have Live Chat at that site (unheard of in my experience).

We know a price. We know an approximate release date. We know specs and...well we have a lot still to learn, but we know more about the LEAF than about any other car that isn't for sale yet.

We will likely get much more information over the next few months.

Maybe I'm just easy, but I was waiting for a different electric car for over 2 years. Waiting less than a year for a LEAF seems like nothing to me :).

Though of course I would like one yesterday. ;)

Gavin

mitch672 said:
garygid said:

Only San Diego in CA
Seattle in WA
3 (or 4) in Oregon
2 in AZ
3 in TN

Sorry.

Oh its spelled out EXACTLY what the 10 cities are:

"In the summer of 2010, charging infrastructure will be deployed in the following major population areas: Phoenix (AZ), Tucson (AZ), San Diego (CA), Portland (OR), Eugene (OR), Corvallis (OR), Seattle (WA), Nashville (TN), Knoxville (TN) and Chattanooga (TN). The Nissan LEAF will be available in those same areas in the fall of 2010 to consumers and fleets"

http://www.theevproject.com/overview.php

and I really do believe the December 2010 initial deployment will just be the 10 listed, this is a very large bet for Nissan, I don't think they want to take any chances on it not being succesful, even though many of us would be fine with just home charging in areas without public charging... It's also that their dealer network isn't fully trained accross all states yet either, so it's more than just public charging that is the issue.

Actually, regions would be a better description because a lot of people outside of AZ don't realize that when people say Phoenix (when they refer to population for instance, it really means ALL of the surrounding cities, including Phoenix proper), it doesn't necessarily mean JUST the city of Phoenix. There are several cities surrounding Phoenix, so I'm sure these are included in the initial rollout. For instance, I live in a fairly large city, but I'm ONLY about 4-5 miles from the Phoenix border, and our dealer said his dealership is going to be part of the initial rollout as Nissan is training two salespeople to handle the LEAF, plus the technicians to do the warranty work. I saw someone on here from Scottsale, AZ and that is the same thing...they are really close to Phoenix and I'm sure they will be included.

Back