I made a transparent CAN bus bridge with logging, requesting input

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, just a heads up for anyone who's looking to buy some soon: I've run out of them already serving my testing group, so it'll take until next week before I have stock.

Hey there, just curious what progress was made so far? I did quite a bit of CAN bus hacking with my BMW, and integrated a DIY Android tablet interface so that I could retain my factory integrations and more. While attaining accurate readings for battery upgrades are important, I think the larger target audience will be aftermarket head unit upgrades. On my BMW android integration, I was also able to build a custom alarm system, with included camera, motion sensor, and text alerts. I made it into a full TCU of sorts and much more. I was also able to remotely control all functionality such as lighting, windows, convertible top, etc. all through powerful software known as Droidscript, which has native USB FTDI OTG to serial support. Definitely consider Android, since power saving features (including built in battery) is an option. Once the floodgates are open here, I think you’d be surprised how many would want to upgrade their factory head units.

Here’s a simple video of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVbacAOghNM

I have them, but can't really be selling them at this moment because of a simple lack of time. However, lots of people have beena sking so I may just have a couple hundred assembled in China and do it that way.

Hi all,
about 6 months ago I replaced the battery cells in my 2012 Leaf with 2014 cells and the range improved!
I retained the original BMS so the car would work ok.
The only thing that has differed is the GID and the GOM reads slightly differently..

The reason is its a PITA to open the later battery cases and all the necessary labour in swapping all the old cells out etc.. It took me about a week to do it all!

I did dissect an old Leaf BMS and read the contents of the 93C86 chip, the only thing I could read was the chassis number...

What I'm wondering is will your CAN bridge be able to 'translate' the info from a completely different battery pack that has in the original BMS into an earlier/different car and act as a gateway to stop the limp mode etc coming on?

Regards
Mark

That's more or less what I'm investigating right now to do direct battery swaps. Probably going to take another 2-3 weeks before it actually works though.

I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind, but I know that more and more people are sourcing wrecked Leafs to use for conversion projects, because the parts are incredibly cheap if you can find a complete, working car (they go for about $6k in a lot of the US)...

For a 3.3kW aftermarket charger, you're looking at almost a thousand bucks. Same for a BMS that can handle 96 (paralleled) cells of the Leaf. The Leaf components are damn near free...but hard to get working in other cars.

If there were a simple way to repurpose these otherwise pricey components without having to get the entire Leaf system up and running around them, it would simplify quite a few Leaf conversions, now and forever...

Hi Mux, so where are you at with the Can Bus Bridge, I would like to get one to support my work in developing a Leaf battery/charger conversion for the Gen 1 Toyota Rav4 EV. Let me know your status and availability of the bridge. Ihave gone to the tindy store and can not find your device.

Still been too busy to put it up, but it's basically for sale. €99, shipping not included. I'll see if I can throw it up quickly on my Tindie store tomorrow, makes it easier to pay and choose shipping.

Thanks I just checked the store don't see it yet is this the right one location

tindie.com/stores/mux/

Sorry to bug you I know exactly what it's like to be toooo busy.
I am trying to hack the charger in a 2015 leaf. Not much info out there.

mux said:
Still been too busy to put it up, but it's basically for sale. €99, shipping not included. I'll see if I can throw it up quickly on my Tindie store tomorrow, makes it easier to pay and choose shipping.

Hi ,I would be interested in buying one , Need it for some leaf charger hacking and fluence ze mods.

The CAN bridge is now officially for sale. I have reserved 25 units for public sale from our stock. NOTE: these are NOT Leaf-specific CAN bridges. You have to program these yourself using the supplied source code, Atmel Studio 7 and a compatible programmer to do what you want

https://www.tindie.com/products/muxsan/can-mitm-bridge-3-port-rev-25/

Hardware files are included in the source code link.

I ordered a few on release day. Really looking forward to what wonders the release of this will bring to the Leaf community. The possibilities are limitless!

Thanks again for an excellent product Mux!

mux said:
The CAN bridge is now officially for sale. I have reserved 25 units for public sale from our stock. NOTE: these are NOT Leaf-specific CAN bridges. You have to program these yourself using the supplied source code, Atmel Studio 7 and a compatible programmer to do what you want

mux,

Thank you for sharing this! I've looked in the source repo, but I can't find either a LICENSE or any "TinyCAD schematic and FreePCB layout" files in there. If you plan on actually open-sourcing this adapter, you might consider using the CERN OHL.

Thank you !!

mux said:

Back