Driver Door Handle Problem

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jjeff said:
mmmike said:
When I had this problem last year I took these pictures of the repair process I did using JB Weld.

Used screwdriver to hold assembly out where it can be accessed.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgDkM0Iv4V-sipwUM06VzK6ASCwS5g?e=bVC1X6

Apply JB Weld to seams so as to join the outer shell to the inner part.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgDkM0Iv4V-sipwV2TX-JC-EtJatnA?e=UkFH9U

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgDkM0Iv4V-sipwWZDQrFDXigk83IQ?e=8wfUvf

I left tie wraps on for the night and removed the next day.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgDkM0Iv4V-sipwXvnMN1NtTzKmGhw?e=tS8yrb
Thanks for sharing :)
And the tie wraps are to hold the handle together until the glue drys?

Yes thats correct.

Mike

I didn’t know there was so many kinds! I used the original

https://www.jbweld.com/collections/epoxy-adhesives/products/j-b-weld-twin-tube

Mike

I used the original JB Weld because it is the strongest and allows the most working time. I was careful to put the epoxy between the plastic and metal handle parts only toward the front of the car from the button to avoid risk of jamming the button. The JB Weld is still holding, but the plastic is flexing more which makes it seem like it is starting to come loose. Thanks to Mike's photos I now see how the back of the handle can be glued for additional strength so I will add some more JB Weld soon.

Hello, My first post, I have a 2012 Leaf which runs great - except recently I pulled the drivers door handle apparently too aggressively, and the chrome trim has started to separate from the rest of the handle. Very annoying, a really poor design, and I see I am not the first to have this problem.

A couple of Youtube videos show dismantling the door including trim to replace the whole handle, then maybe reprogramming the lock is necessary - all which I would rather not do. Another video shows tightening the T25 bolt through the access hole in the side of the door to tighten a wobbly lock bezel part of the handle. i see others have had success with super glue or JB weld behind the chrome piece - I fear I would glue the switch also, and make a mess.

My question is has anyone had luck with going in through the side access with a T25 bit, loosen the cylinder part of the lock, then remove the handle enough so it can be carefully glued or replaced ?. Or maybe this is not possible ?, and purchasing from a Nissan dealer a whole new handle assembly (part number 80640-1AA0A if I have it right) and dismantling the door and trim to install the only solution - thanks.

My 2013 is separating too, and not from pulling too often; just normal wear. Agree with your solution, but haven’t tried yet. Stay tuned.

civicwithacord said:
My 2013 is separating too, and not from pulling too often; just normal wear. Agree with your solution, but haven’t tried yet. Stay tuned.

It's really sad IMO that Nissan figures simple double-faced tape(the thin clear 3M type) is good enough to hold the outer trim piece of the door handle to the actual door handle :roll: I mean I suppose it's probably good enough to make it past the 3 year warranty but really, double-faced tape :x
On the bright side, my repair using glue(epoxy not JB Weld as I didn't have any) has been working fine for coming up on 1 year and I expect it to last many years more.

jjeff said:
civicwithacord said:

It's really sad IMO that Nissan figures simple double-faced tape(the thin clear 3M type) is good enough to hold the outer trim piece of the door handle to the actual door handle :roll: I mean I suppose it's probably good enough to make it past the 3 year warranty but really, double-faced tape :x
On the bright side, my repair using glue(epoxy not JB Weld as I didn't have any) has been working fine for coming up on 1 year and I expect it to last many years more.
Well only 6 months past this post and my "epoxy" repair has failed, the chrome is now pulling out past the handle :x
F'ing Nissan! guess I should purchase some "JB Weld"

I hope the JB WELD holds.. I think that it is very hard when it dries. I don't know that over time it may separate from the smooth plastic parts.

I also have this problem, and have been keeping the handle on with a tight zip tie until I decide what to do.

I think I will use a glue that I have used with good results for keeping my door edge trim on all doors and trunk lids..

It is called "Shoe Goo", which is sold at ACE hardware for gluing on shoe and sneaker soles that separate.

It is very sticky and holds well. I think I will try this on my car...

powersurge said:
I hope the JB WELD holds.. I think that it is very hard when it dries. I don't know that over time it may separate from the smooth plastic parts.

I also have this problem, and have been keeping the handle on with a tight zip tie until I decide what to do.

I think I will use a glue that I have used with good results for keeping my door edge trim on all doors and trunk lids..

It is called "Shoe Goo", which is sold at ACE hardware for gluing on shoe and sneaker soles that separate.

I have "Shoe Goo" also and it works wonders for shoes, hadn't thought to use it on my door handle.....maybe worth a try. If you do it, let us know how it went.

powersurge said:

Shoe Goo is good stuff, but smells like a rotting corpse for days. Good thing this is on the OUTSIDE of the car!

Nubo said:
Shoe Goo is good stuff, but smells like a rotting corpse for days. Good thing this is on the OUTSIDE of the car!
In my experience, the smell goes away in well under an hour. I've use the stuff on lots of things, including the handle of our toaster oven and the round knob/handle on a Revere Ware pop lid (Shoe Goo is remarkably heat tolerant). The smell was never present after the stuff set.

jlv said:
Nubo said:
In my experience, the smell goes away in well under an hour. I've use the stuff on lots of things, including the handle of our toaster oven and the round knob/handle on a Revere Ware pop lid (Shoe Goo is remarkably heat tolerant). The smell was never present after the stuff set.

Maybe I'm just very sensitive to that stinkflower smell. It is very useful stuff though.

So I've been having this problem on my driver's door. Used some double sided tape (because my chrome trim can peel out way further), and then stuck it back together

Still had the problem, but when I looked at the gap, my tape wasn't there, (black piece was still stuck to the chrome trim), so I think it's actually 3 pieces held together with some weak double sided tape.

I added another piece of double sided tape between the black piece and the bottom, and now the whole contraption is a little bit too thick. Whoops.

Back