No more Rapidgate!! I traded my 2018 Leaf in on a 2019 Niro EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carroll D. Wright said:
The old saying is that “figures will not lie,” but a new saying is “liars will figure.” It is our duty, as practical statisticians, to prevent the liar from figuring; in other words, to prevent him from perverting the truth, in the interest of some theory he wishes to establish. We can only do this by being absolutely fair ourselves.

TexasLeaf said:
The down side is that I have to pay the $/minute for 125 kW rate at the Electrify America stations
Have you confirmed this through experience ? If so, it is steep pricing at $4 a month + $1 a session + ~ 42 cents a kWh for ~ 70 kW power.
I paid under 11 cents a kWh to charge at ~ 140 kW at a Supercharger recently. It was a 7 minute charging stop to collect about 75 EPA rated miles of range for $1.75

SageBrush said:
I paid under 11 cents a kWh to charge at ~ 140 kW at a Supercharger recently. It was a 7 minute charging stop to collect about 75 EPA rated miles of range for $1.75

So you are a Tesla Troll. The price you paid for Supercharging is irrelevant considering the high price you paid for the Tesla subsidized the Superchargers and the charging. If you paid anything at all for Supercharging you paid too much considering a lot of Tesla owners get their Supercharging for free.

TexasLeaf said:
SageBrush said:
The price you paid for Supercharging is irrelevant considering the high price you paid for the Tesla subsidized the Superchargers and the charging. If you paid anything at all for Supercharging you paid too much considering a lot of Tesla owners get their Supercharging for free.
Funny. You don't want to know how much more you paid for your hobbled LEAF and Kia econobox than I paid for my Tesla.

I'm not judging your choices; I am saying they are expensive.

SageBrush said:
Funny. You don't want to know how much more you paid for your hobbled LEAF and Kia econobox than I paid for my Tesla.

Typical Tesla Troll rhetoric. Neither my Leaf SL nor my Niro EV EX Premium were econoboxes, they were both top of the line; power everything, leather seats and level 2 autonomous systems (something many Teslas don't have). The Niro EV is the fastest production Kia and it has faster 0 to 60 mph times than MOST production vehicles.

TexasLeaf said:
SageBrush said:

Typical Tesla Troll rhetoric. Neither my Leaf SL nor my Niro EV EX Premium were econoboxes, they were both top of the line; power everything, leather seats and level 2 autonomous systems (something many Teslas don't have). The Niro EV is the fastest production Kia and it has faster 0 to 60 mph times than MOST production vehicles.
Rhetoric ? Nah, this is just you attacking me because you do not like to face reality. You paid about $11,000 more than I did for a Tesla Model 3 LR, to lease a LEAF for 18 months followed by a Kia.

Congratulations on your new Niro EV! The car has great reviews and gets fantastic range and efficiency, so I'm sure you'll enjoy it for a long time.

Rapidgate also prompted me to trade in my 2018 Leaf, but in my case I gambled on another Nissan with an SL Plus. It worked out to $10k cheaper for us than the Niro (at least, at the time), and we knew the Leaf size and features matched what we wanted in a car.

The gamble has so far worked out for us: we have taken three long trips in the Plus this summer that we also did with the 30kWh and 40kWh versions, and so far haven't seen a hot battery or seen any charging sessions with less than the maximum charge rate. For our return trip yesterday, we started with a 35% charge and drove 300 miles from Lincoln City to Seattle by way of Astoria, and got home with 22 miles left on the dash. We stopped to charge twice, and after the second charge still only 8 temperature bars (sorry, I forgot to check LeafSpy). The outside temperatures were in the low 70s, so things might not have worked out as well for us in Arizona or Texas in the summer, but in the 2018 Leaf I would have expected temperatures in the mid 120s after that much fast charging. When we did this exact same trip last year, our final charge was at a painfully slow 16kW.

Wish we had Niros in the Midwest to compare against.

Actually even Leafs are not in short supply. I don’t know if it’s due to all the new markets they are sending the car (Latam, South East Asia, etc) but dealers that normally have dozens And maybe one or two. Even the discounts are reducing.

Some of the Tesla service issues reported (whether overblown in the media or not is a different question) has been sending some potential buyers into the other brands.

SageBrush said:
TexasLeaf said:
SageBrush said:

Rhetoric ? Nah, this is just you attacking me because you do not like to face reality. You paid about $11,000 more than I did for a Tesla Model 3 LR, to lease a LEAF for 18 months followed by a Kia.

To be fair, you can't really compare. Not because Tesla is a luxury brand, but because they are different segments.
I like Tesla, my brother has an S and a 3. I park my leaf next to a white model 3 at work. But the model 3 is not an SUV nor a hatchback nor a crossover. If you want a crossover like the Niro EV, then your only Tesla option is the X, and that's a lot MORE pricey. (Model Y coming soon...)

I like the hatchback style. So does my wife. We have an outback, which was our newest until the leaf. My wife got the outback as her car but now she wants to drive the leaf whenever I'm not using it. She loves the hatchback style. When I am parked next to the model 3, there is no comparison. They are different styles completely. My point is that not everyone wants a sedan. Some people even want minivans....

I have had my Niro EV for a little over a year and I thought I would post an update. I don't regret trading my 2018 Leaf for the 2019 Niro EV in the slightest. I have had my Niro EV for about as long as I had my Leaf, at the end I was comping at the bit to get rid of the Leaf but I really have no interest in getting out of the Niro EV.

The longest single day trip I have made in the Niro EV is 806 miles. That many miles in a single day would have been nearly impossible in the 2018 Leaf. I looks like Nissan finally learned their lesson and the new Ariya appears to address all the issues that drove me from the Leaf.

I still think the Leaf is a fine car under the right circumstances but it just wasn't for me. I wish all the best to all of you that decided to hang on to your Leafs.

^^^
Good to hear! Sounds like multiple DC FCs in a day on the Niro EV were no issue. I'm guessing thermal management kicked in during your charges...

TexasLeaf, thanks for the update. Of all the PEVs currently available, the Niro appeals most to me, whether BEV or PHEV. But the lack of AWD has kept me from getting one, as I'm a skier and hate having to put chains on when I don't need them - 4/AWD with snow tires avoids that.

I've driven the BEV and liked it, and now that the 2020 PHEVs have paddles to control Regen like the BEVs I'm thinking about them again. I'd also prefer that the Niro's cargo area was 3-4" longer behind the rear seats, making the car about the same length as my Forester, but could live with the shorter length. I'm also concerned about the lack of a capacity warranty as I keep cars a long time (17.5 years and counting on my current one). What kind of degradation are you seeing?

I do wish that they offered the Niro in at least one bright color like the Soul, as even the red seems to be pretty toned down. I'm tired of driving silver metallic cars! I'd probably opt for the blue as the best of an uninspiring bunch of choices.

I was very interested to read that you managed 800+ miles in a day. Do you know how much time you spent charging and your total time enroute, at what speeds? The ability to drive at least 750 miles/day while getting 8 hours of sleep is a requirement for me. [Edit: read your post in the Niro forum that had some more detail. Seems like you take road trips of similar length to mine].

Now that EA has made the rates for Kia/Hyundai BEVs more reasonable, what's it costing you to QC at one?

Back