2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aug update. 337 GID's 73.81AH SOH=92.87% Hx=78.57% 65250 total mi. 20321 mi on new battery. 17 DCFC and 387 l2 charges on the new battery. The new battery is still doing better than the first one. I'm down 7% from new in just over 13 months. That would put me down around 20% at 100K miles and 2 1/2 more years of operation. I would expect this battery to last about 5 years before it hits 8 bars. Although the range is adequate for now, I just put new tires on and took a small hit in mileage (5%). Doesn't seem like much but it adds up and cuts the range by 4-5 miles overall. I get uncomfortable when I have to run extra errands. I just need a bigger battery overall or one that doesn't degrade over time. 80% of original capacity is about as low as I can practically use without resorting to DCFC a couple of times a week while out in town. My expectation at this point is that I'll trade the Leaf in a couple of years for something with more range and better electronics.

@SageBrush

SageBrush said:
Does your heater have any TOU controls ?

“iplug” said:
No, wish it did. Hoping they will add a firmware update some day...We have one of the latest Rheem 65 gallon units. For about $49 we added a WiFi module (EcoNet) that lets you adjust some of the settings that you can right on the water heater like on/off, temperature, mode (heat pump only, hybrid, electric resistance only, etc), vacation mode, etc...
Update:

EcoNet 2.0 software just installed today on my iPhone with TOU controls. Looks like we now have the ability. I have the water heater set now only to act as a thermal battery and run the heat pump during lowest TOU timeframes.

It’s an updated reply from a post 1.5 years ago in this same thread. Agree not right thread to start, but was already there

Feel free to relocate. Maybe to a home energy/efficiency thread.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nissan.leaf.owners.group/permalink/2932274950176660/ - (initials MW) in the DFW area reports 1 bar down on his '16 and the update has been applied already. Unfortunately, it's a closed group.

From his GOM report, I assume he's got a 30 kWh Leaf.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/437741293059829/permalink/1293804870786796/ has a pic of a '17 SL down 1 capacity bar at 133K miles. They said "2 years 5 months later from new".

I don't know where they're located but from their profile, I'm guessing Missouri.

At 133k miles I'd say they can't complain too much. How much maintenance would an ICE car have in that time-frame? :shock:

I'm amazed at how much some folks drive...

goldbrick said:
At 133k miles I'd say they can't complain too much. How much maintenance would an ICE car have in that time-frame? :shock:

I'm amazed at how much some folks drive...

He drove a healthy amount, BUT... We have a Northwesterner who has 105,000 miles on his 40 kwh LEAF still 12 bars but sadly, his roadtripping will be on hold for a while. His PDM quit working.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nissan.leaf.owners.group/permalink/2950515318352623/ is a report of a '17 SL with 20K miles in Florida down a bar. He says he got the update applied 6 months ago which caused his capacity bar to reappear but now it's gone again.

Chalk it up to normal capacity loss in Florida. Unclear about his charging and parking/storage habits.

Sept update. 333 GID's 72.97AH SOH=91.82% Hx=76.52% 66772 total mi. 24843 mi on new battery. 18 DCFC and 416 l2 charges on the new battery. The new battery is still doing better than the first one. I'm down just over 8% from new in just over 14 months. That still puts me down around 20% at 100K miles and 2 more years of operation. This battery may last 4 more years before it hits 8 bars. Range is adequate for now but I get uncomfortable when I have to run extra errands. I find that I'm hitting the low battery warning once or twice a month now. At 80% usable capacity that's going to be happening every other day and I'll be hitting the chargers out in town regularly.

While this new battery may last for a 100,000 miles, it will still be down to 63% of it's nominal 30 KWH value. NOT ACCEPTABLE! It will meet the warranty conditions but not the "Typical 80% at 100K" that Nissan promised. My next EV will not come from Nissan.

2016 SV, 29000 miles. Chicagoland area. 4 months left on lease.

SOH 86%. 24 kWh remaining at 100%

Anticipate 1 bar loss prior to turn in. Proof that even in partial warm weather, the battery prematurely degrades.

The POS '17 LEAF that I am leasing lost the second capacity bar today.
At 28400 miles.
The first capacity bar dropped at 19400 miles.
I have as much available energy with my '12 with it's warranty replaced traction battery as I now have with this piece of crap '17.
I leased as a stop-gap for what I had hoped would be the arrival of the E NV200.
Well we all know that will never happen.
I am so looking forward to turning this crap car in at the end of the lease in April 2020.
I hope VW has the E-Van available sometime in 2020. They should really appreciate my business as I continue to tell folks not to buy a LEAF.
We are guinea pigs for Nissan.
Once again Nissan bites me on the backside like it did with my 2011.
Beware the LEAF.

Have you gotten https://insideevs.com/news/338528/update-nissan-has-software-fix-for-2016-17-leaf-30-kwh-battery-reporting-issues/ applied yet?

No need to start a new thread to report a capacity bar gone. If everyone did that, things would get WAY out of hand. Mods, can you merge this thread with https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23606?

Too bad Federal tax credit on GM EVs/PHEVs goes from $3750 to $1875 on 10/1.

I've never dealt with this dealer but I see some decent discounting at https://www.concordchevrolet.com/VehicleSearchResults?make=Chevrolet&model=Bolt%20EV&year=2019&sort=salePrice%7Casc. I bought mine from Fremont at end of Jan 2019 when the tax credit was $7500. From this guy's observations (https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/battery-conditioning.33279/#post-512173), at least if plugged in and allowed to draw power (not inhibited by timer/delayed charging, Bolt will cool the battery to ~27 C (80.6 F). And, if not plugged in but driving, it can cool it to ~31 C (87.8 F).

electromotive said:
The POS '17 LEAF that I am leasing lost the second capacity bar today.
At 28400 miles.
The first capacity bar dropped at 19400 miles.
I have as much available energy with my '12 with it's warranty replaced traction battery as I now have with this piece of crap '17.
I leased as a stop-gap for what I had hoped would be the arrival of the E NV200.
Well we all know that will never happen.
I am so looking forward to turning this crap car in at the end of the lease in April 2020.
I hope VW has the E-Van available sometime in 2020. They should really appreciate my business as I continue to tell folks not to buy a LEAF.
We are guinea pigs for Nissan.
Once again Nissan bites me on the backside like it did with my 2011.
Beware the LEAF.

Sorry for your poor Leaf experience. Good luck with VW. I, too, am looking forward to VW's EV offerings, tempered by a vivid memory of their questionable past reliability.

VW is legendary for dismissing serious flaws until provoked with massive lawsuits: (earlier) TDI camshaft premature wear, caused by poor lubrication mgmt, HighPressureFuelPump failures (2012>>>) which destroy the ENTIRE fuel system circuit ($5-6k repair), DieselEmissionsFluid system failures, now water pump failures...to name a few.

My experience wasn't horrible, partly, I believe, because I always get "up close and personal" with any dealership Service DIRECTOR at the time of purchase, and maintain a good relationship with them...oil changes, [discounted] tire purchases, all maintenance. Countless other VW owners have been left with massive repair bills on relatively new cars, just outside of warranty.

I'm a longtime VW/Audi devotee, who chose to finally bail from VW, because of the "clean diesel" disaster. They built an amazing engine, excellent MPG, solid core reliability, surrounded by a poorly executed electronic/fuel/emissions systems that are prone to failure.

(Ironically, my 2015 LeafS has been flawless in the 3 1/2 years of ownership [tires, cabin filter, wiper blades], from 6500 miles to almost 34k miles (we bought it used). I've not visited the Nissan dealership to even KNOW any of the service techs, or the service director.)

Every manufacturer has its issues. All cars have myriad sensors, which are prone to glitches. I often joke, "My car's sensors have sensors!"

Again, sorry for your experience, but be careful for what you wish. VW might not be your best choice! ;)

electromotive said:
Check your arithmetic

Oct update. 326 GID's 71.24AH, SOH=89.63%, Hx=71.99%, 68500 total mi. 23571 mi on new battery. 18 DCFC and 450 l2 charges on the new battery. Okay, the good news is that the new battery is holding up better than the old one, the bad news is that it's not a whole lot better. I have 15 months use on the new battery and am down by 10%. The old battery was down 10% after just 10 months of use and was down by 14% at 15 months. The cumulative mileage on both batteries was similar so my usage habits haven't changed. As it stands now I expect to be able to get 70000-80000 miles out of this battery before it hits 8 bars. That puts the car over the warranty limit so no third battery for me. Current trade-in value is around $7K according to several dealers so there's no point in buying a new battery. I might be able to get $10K from a private sale but still not much better.

I've looked at a Tesla III and at a Nissan Leaf +. Top end Leaf SV+ is pretty similar to a Standard + III and the costs are similar. The Leaf gets a bigger Rebate but there's no TMS and DCFC problems. The Leaf fits like an old shoe and I feel very comfortable in it but the battery worries me. The III is all whizzbang and sleek. It's a different idea of what a car is or could be. I find that I'm not entirely comfortable with just a touch screen. I like it mechanically and I might be able to get used to the lack of physical controls. Problem is neither car wows me and makes me say "I got to have one". The VW ID 4 is still a year out and I don't know if I want to wait for it.

Back