2018 Nissan Leaf does not charge at Eaton POW-R-STATION

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took a picture but cannot upload it, if someone can show me how, that would be great, happy to share the decal on the side of the charger.
Here is some info off the decal:

Eaton Vehicle Supply Equipment
GO: SLAU04174F-003
Style: SAR3BN000000
Serial#: 135980013

Input Rating:
Current 30A
Voltage: 208/240V
Phase: Single
Freq: 60Hz

Output Rating:

same values as Input Rating

Certified to: CSA C22.2 No. 107

http://www.eaton.com
91C3262 Rev 2

Intertek

Automatic CCID reset provided

Conforms to:
UL Subject 2594
UL2231-1
UL2231-2
UL 1998

NEMA Type: 3R

OK
I am not a techie guru, so the numbers above will have to suffice for now, but that is all the info from the decal. Hope that helps.

Baltneu said:
I took a picture but cannot upload it, if someone can show me how, that would be great, happy to share the decal on the side of the charger.
Here is some info off the decal:

Eaton Vehicle Supply Equipment
GO: SLAU04174F-003 SEAS90767
Style: SAR3BN000000 EVSEL230HLAP
Serial#: 135980013 41261302297

Input Rating:
Current 30A
Voltage: 208/240V
Phase: Single
Freq: 60Hz

Output Rating:

same values as Input Rating

Certified to: CSA C22.2 No. 107

http://www.eaton.com
91C3262 Rev 2

Intertek

Automatic CCID reset provided

Conforms to:
UL Subject 2594
UL2231-1
UL2231-2
UL 1998

NEMA Type: 3R
My info added in bold in the appropriate places when different. If nothing added by me means same.

Notes;
Quite the difference in SN...

My style number is quite easy to decipher

Also on mine;

Warning
Automatic CCID reset provided.

877-ETN-CARE (guessing that number might be a waste of time... :) )

My personal bank is green which is where this free Eaton station is located... *sigh*

For the actual pix, you can access them at my personal photo storage site. ;)

https://www.facebook.com/DaveinOlyWA/posts/10218760923962112

xhaltsalute said:
Unfortunately, I have the same problem with my 2018 Leaf SL when attempting to use the Eaton Level 2 chargers at work. I continually get the "fault" icon coming up on the charger regardless of how many times I hit the reset button. I haven't had a problem with non-Eaton chargers. It's very frustrating since charging at work for free was one of my buying decision points. I really like the Leaf but having it not be compatible with certain chargers is definitely a problem. I see older Leafs using the same chargers with no problem, so it seems like the 2018s have an issue.

Update:
So on a whim last week, because I had recently noticed that all 4 chargers were working (one had been non-functional for years), I plugged in my 2018 Leaf and it charged without the fault icon activating! I was very happy and thought that perhaps the units (or my car) had received some sort of update. The next day, the fault icon came up right away on 3 of them; I don't even know what made me try the fourth one but, lo and behold, when I did, it worked - charged to 100% with no problem! This morning, the first one I tried worked fine - charged to 100%.

I called the guy in charge of the EVSEs and he told me there had been no upgrades and there won't be since Eaton is no longer in the EVSE business. It turns out the unit that had stopped working was replaced by a unit from another location (the other location got Clipper Creek models). So, bottom line is I don't know why sometimes the Eaton chargers work with the 2018 Leaf and sometimes they don't. My advice would be not to rely on them for your charging needs, but be pleasantly surprised if you're able to top off at an Eaton.

Free chargers at work was the main driver for my decision to buy 2019 Leaf. All of the chargers are Eaton and none are working. Took them to dealer and they tried it on their L2 chargers (non-Eaton) and refused that there is nothing wrong with the car... even after I told them I see at least 8 Leafs (older models) at my work that are charging fine. They told me to contact Eaton!!
I am stuck now. Did I get a lemon? :cry:

ramsgoms said:
Free chargers at work was the main driver for my decision to buy 2019 Leaf. All of the chargers are Eaton and none are working. Took them to dealer and they tried it on their L2 chargers (non-Eaton) and refused that there is nothing wrong with the car... even after I told them I see at least 8 Leafs (older models) at my work that are charging fine. They told me to contact Eaton!!

Not exactly a lemon. If you read through this thread you'll see that there's an incompatibility issue with Eaton EVSEs and 2018 and newer Leafs. The main problem seems to be that the Eaton EVSEs are no longer reveiving software updates because the manufacturer is no longer in the EVSE business. Basically, the car and the EVSE aren't communicating well sometimes because software needs to be updated in the EVSE.

xhaltsalute said:
ramsgoms said:

Not exactly a lemon. If you read through this thread you'll see that there's an incompatibility issue with Eaton EVSEs and 2018 and newer Leafs. The main problem seems to be that the Eaton EVSEs are no longer reveiving software updates because the manufacturer is no longer in the EVSE business. Basically, the car and the EVSE aren't communicating well sometimes because software needs to be updated in the EVSE.

Not sure about that. Posted earlier that my 2018 does not have any problem with the 3 Eaton chargers at my local train station so maybe some 2018's not working with Eaton charging stations.

ramsgoms said:

I am sorry that your car is not charging on the Eaton chargers. My 2018 SL seems to do OK on them.
Somehow I remember some time ago setting the charging speed in my car to 6.6KWH, I seem to remember their were some choices, is it possible yours is not set up to take that delivery speed/

Baltneu said:
ramsgoms said:

I am sorry that your car is not charging on the Eaton chargers. My 2018 SL seems to do OK on them.
Somehow I remember some time ago setting the charging speed in my car to 6.6KWH, I seem to remember their were some choices, is it possible yours is not set up to take that delivery speed/

there is no way to adjust the level 2 charging speed. What you saw was probably the estimated time to charge at various speeds. Nissan in its infinitely questionable wisdom, also added the now non existent 3.8 KW charging time.

Baltneu said:
ramsgoms said:

Charging rate is measured in kW, not "KWH".

It would be bizarre if Nissan offered UI to adjust charging speeds. Most non-Teslas EVs and PHEVs don't give a choice. Doing so can only cause confusion and can even encourage bad wiring practices.

As for Dave's comment about 3.8 kW, perhaps it vestigial code for other regions? Or, maybe it's meant for 16 amp EVSEs?

Baltneu said:
xhaltsalute said:
ramsgoms said:

Not sure about that. Posted earlier that my 2018 does not have any problem with the 3 Eaton chargers at my local train station so maybe some 2018's not working with Eaton charging stations.

Great that your n=1 experience is working out for you. Seems to me that the fact this thread and others, not to mention other sources on the web, points to incompatibility issues between 2018 and newer Leafs and Eaton charging stations. Incompatibility was apparently due to software changes Nissan made in 2018 in anticipation of new protocols among EVSE manufacturers and since Eaton EVSEs are no longer getting software upgrades, it's a problem. Eatons work with my 2018 sometimes but not always. I have no problems with any other brand of EVSE and I've used several. I suppose you could argue that it *is* the car since Nissan did apparently make software changes, but the actual problem is old, almost obsolete EVSEs. At least that's my read of the situation.

cwerdna said:
Baltneu said:
ramsgoms said:

Charging rate is measured in kW, not "KWH".

It would be bizarre if Nissan offered UI to adjust charging speeds. Most non-Teslas EVs and PHEVs don't give a choice. Doing so can only cause confusion and can even encourage bad wiring practices.

As for Dave's comment about 3.8 kW, perhaps it vestigial code for other regions? Or, maybe it's meant for 16 amp EVSEs?

Bolt has charge rate options but only on Level 1 and that is due to the rarity of a dedicated circuit or when you are plugging at a friends and you aren't sure, you can dial the 120 volt charging to 8 amps instead of the standard 12

^^^
Thanks for that. I should've qualified that with 208/240 volt charging.

The BMW i3 does and boy, can that cause confusion and discussion of bad wiring practices rather than doing things right w/the EVSE, wiring, breaker, etc.

2019 LEAF SL PLUS WILL NOT CHARGE AT ALL STATIONS...Bought this $42K car to support the sustainable technology theme at my college. Much to my surprise, the EV chargers (Eaton) available did not charge my 2019 Leaf...thus no free charging at my work...no available software upgrades from Eaton (out of the EV business). My dealer did not know this information either...supposedly. Nissan needs to explore this in more detail and let potential buyers know that it will not charge at every Level 2 charging station. I suppose I am partly to blame for not exploring this unnecessary phenomenon. When someone buys a 110 v toaster at Walmart and gets it home only to find that it does not work on their 110 v kitchen receptacle...I guess that's the buyers fault. At least at Walmart, they allow returns... Just sayin'...

cobbr66 said:
2019 LEAF SL PLUS WILL NOT CHARGE AT ALL STATIONS...Bought this $42K car to support the sustainable technology theme at my college. Much to my surprise, the EV chargers (Eaton) available did not charge my 2019 Leaf...thus no free charging at my work...no available software upgrades from Eaton (out of the EV business). My dealer did not know this information either...supposedly. Nissan needs to explore this in more detail and let potential buyers know that it will not charge at every Level 2 charging station. I suppose I am partly to blame for not exploring this unnecessary phenomenon. When someone buys a 110 v toaster at Walmart and get it home only to find that it does not work on your 110 v kitchen receptacle...I guess that's the buyers fault. Just sayin'...

I am sorry for your problem. This problem about Eaton chargers not charging all EV cars is known. I see you are new to this forum and had you seen this thread in the past, it started March 2018. I have a 2018 SL and my car does charge on an Eaton charger at my local train station.
However, 1 of the 3 chargers is broken, and has been out of service for at least a month (Tarrytown, NY train station), so I am not holding my breath it will be fixed anytime soon or even at all.

cobbr66 said:
2019 LEAF SL PLUS WILL NOT CHARGE AT ALL STATIONS...Bought this $42K car to support the sustainable technology theme at my college. Much to my surprise, the EV chargers (Eaton) available did not charge my 2019 Leaf...thus no free charging at my work...no available software upgrades from Eaton (out of the EV business). My dealer did not know this information either...supposedly. Nissan needs to explore this in more detail and let potential buyers know that it will not charge at every Level 2 charging station. I suppose I am partly to blame for not exploring this unnecessary phenomenon. When someone buys a 110 v toaster at Walmart and get it home only to find that it does not work on your 110 v kitchen receptacle...I guess that's the buyers fault. Just sayin'...

I feel your pain - I was in the same boat a year ago. A new EV driver doesn't understand all of the ins-and-outs of this stuff - a Level 2 charger should be a Level 2 charger! I would suggest trying to lobby your college to change out the EVSEs to newer units. There are grants out there for institutions/businesses to do this sort of thing. I successfully convinced the sustainability guy at my work that this is a problem for anyone driving a 2018 and newer Leaf and he was recently successful in obtaining grant funding to upgrade the EVSEs to a brand that is maintained (Clipper Creek) and compatible with all current EVs. The changeout will happen in the next couple of months.

That said, I am able to get my 2018 Leaf charging on some Eaton EVSEs but not others. And I almost always have to do a reset or even a hard-reset to get the car and the EVSE talking nicely to each other. Knowing this, I make sure that I don't have to rely on an Eaton EVSE to get me where I need to go.

Good luck!

Thankfully my home installed Eaton EVSE had no problem charging my 2015 Leaf, my 2018 Leaf or my current 2019 Leaf Plus.

CyMKUKMl.jpg

Back