Why would anyone buy a nissan leaf right now???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jerryr said:
valem said:
rogersleaf said:
Large amounts of data isn't needed. You answered the main question... The car is native to hot & sunny central Florida. It's no secret that heat destroys a LEAF battery, and it doesn't make much difference if driving vs. parked in the heat. Last time I was through the area, traffic was running at least 75 mph, and at times was getting passed by everything when running 80. That heat and workload was fine for my Ridgeline, but would never want to subject a LEAF battery to those conditions. Would expect consistently hot battery temps without much opportunity to cool off and not the slightest bit surprised your battery is loosing capacity quickly. Remember once having an air-cooled VW Bug, those machines also didn't do so well in the heat especially when run hard. Suggest paying a little more for an EV with liquid cooling.

In my data I also keep track of highest cell temp. and even when really warm out it's in the mid 80s. Battery has been on average in the mid 70s betwen November and April, and in mid 80s betwen may and October. Few sporadic peaks in the high 90s due to DC charging.
I avoid highways, avoid driving in the hot times of day and will go out of my way to park in the shade.
Because I rarely drive during the hot times, I also rarely use the A/C. That is correct, in central FL, in the summer, I very rarely use the AC... I suffer to maximize range. Also I avoid highways to maximize range, and when I go on the highways I set cruise to speed limit up to 65. Everyone passes me, but besides working the battery hard, if I go above 65, the Leaf won't go very far.
So I mostly do city driving when it's not hot out, without AC.
I drive very little 5 to 6k mi /year.
I can count on my fingers the charges to 100%, I usually charge with home L2 from 30% to 60% at most.
Extremely shallow charge cycles, and even with temps in the 60s of the FL winter I was experiencing an SOH drop of about 1%/1000.

Hot or cold weather, this car is losing 1% SOH per 1000 miles.
Which is consistent with the first battery... the original battery was replaced at 29k miles (previous owner)
I don't know what the SOH was, but it has to drop at least 4 bars to be replaced, which is about a 34% loss correct? 15% first bar and 6.25% the other 3?

I bought it with 35800mi, 6k miles later and SOH when I bought it was 94%. Dead spot on with 1% per 1000mi!
I now have 41616, about 12k miles after replacement, lo and behold SOH is 88.74, down 11.26% ... incredibly accurate!
So I drove 5800mi and SOH dropped from 94.08 to 88.74 or 1% every 1089mi to be exact.

Just like clockwork

Valem,

Your 1%l loss/1000 miles in Florida when driving 6000 miles/yr works out to 0.5%/month. I have found that about 0.4%-0.5%/month loss no matter how many miles I drive here in Florida.

With my 2015, my 2018 and now my 2019 Plus I was loosing 0.5%/month no matter how many miles I drove. In fact when I bought my 2015 it only has 200 miles on it but it sat on dealer lot for 11 months. It had 94% SOH when I bought it.

My Excel spreadsheet chart indicates otherwise... I do not have a regular commute 9-5 job, I travel a lot (by plane) and my car sits a lot in between... I'll be home for a couple of weeks and drive, then I'll fly out and the car sits in the airport parking garage for a couple of weeks.

The SOH drops in my experience are miles related and not time related... once I was gone for 3-4 weeks and SOH was flat lined, when I came back and started driving it resumed it's normal drop as I drove and added miles.

Very, very consistent with mileage, in my experience.

Not at all consistent with miles in mine. I just sold a 2017 with 49k miles on it, 12 bars, no firmware update. I honestly think these cars like to be driven as long as you can keep the temperature in a good range.

eatsleafsandshoots said:
Not at all consistent with miles in mine. I just sold a 2017 with 49k miles on it, 12 bars, no firmware update. I honestly think these cars like to be driven as long as you can keep the temperature in a good range.

WOW... and my wow is about driving 25k mi a year... with a Leaf.

Working weekday only would be 95.8mi /day

If you drive everyday that is 68.5mi /day.... still a lot for this car. well, I have the 24kW you have the 30kW

What was your charging schedule? 100% daily?
Did you charge multiple times a day? partially home, partially at work.

Do you care to share more details?

valem said:
eatsleafsandshoots said:

If you drive everyday that is 68.5mi /day.... still a lot for this car. well, I have the 24kW you have the 30kW

It’s not unrealistic to run that much on a 24 KWh leaf. My ‘14 was leased at 15k mi/yr so I budgeted my usage to the time of year when the range worked. Peak of the year (Spring-Fall) ran 2000 mi/month, then mostly parked it over the Winter. My commute is 76 mi/day on the shortest route, 70% expressway. Only charged at home, no DCFC port and no workplace charging. Turned it in at 3 yrs and 45k mi used up. Had @ 88% SOH at turn-in. Hated to give it up but struggled with range in the last year, the usable season was getting shorter, and the buyout was way more than it was worth.

On my ‘19 40KWh, have 11k miles in 5 months, able to run the longer (and faster) commute routes, and then using 55-60% capacity daily. Even considering a set of dedicated winter tires on steel wheels because think it might be possible to make this commute in the winter.

Flyct said:
cwerdna said:
valem said:
You mean 24 kWh and 30 kWh?

Improper english. Do you mean, “Do you mean” instead of “You mean” ?

What I see is a completely wrong statement using invalid terms in your case verses cwerdna using "accepted" colloquialism which maybe "improper" but at least well understood.

In your head, you may think your statement is well understood but until you can elevate it to "acceptable" expect to be called out when you can't get it right

DaveinOlyWA said:
Flyct said:
cwerdna said:
You mean 24 kWh and 30 kWh?

What I see is a completely wrong statement using invalid terms in your case verses cwerdna using "accepted" colloquialism which maybe "improper" but at least well understood.

In your head, you may think your statement is well understood but until you can elevate it to "acceptable" expect to be called out when you can't get it right
Flyct: How is it improper? Have some references explaining why? I agree with Dave that it's an "accepted" colloquialism. It also had a subject and a verb vs. your sentence fragment w/incorrect capitalization. The below imply what I said is okay.

https://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/dictionary/american/do-you-mean
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mean

My point was to correct incorrect unit usage, which isn't a grammatical error.

cwerdna said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Flyct said:

Flyct: How is it improper? Have some references explaining why? I agree with Dave that it's an "accepted" colloquialism. It also had a subject and a verb vs. your sentence fragment w/incorrect capitalization. The below imply what I said is okay.

https://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/dictionary/american/do-you-mean
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mean

My point was to correct incorrect unit usage, which isn't a grammatical error.

Boy you’re touchy. :)

I wonder if your sentence “Have some references explaining why?” Is proper or not. Would that be considered a sentence fragment?

Your sentence “The below imply what I said is okay?” is also grammatically incorrect. You never said anything, If you “said” something I would have heard it, not read it.

My point is everyone knows what someone means when they incorrectly state kW instead of kWh. There’s no need to constantly point out the error.

Flyct said:
Boy you’re touchy. :)

I wonder if your sentence “Have some references explaining why?” Is proper or not. Would that be considered a sentence fragment?
There's an implied you. (https://socratic.org/questions/what-is-an-implied-subject)
Flyct said:
My point is everyone knows what someone means when they incorrectly state kW instead of kWh. There’s no need to constantly point out the error.
No, we can't always tell. What's the point of encouraging incorrect unit usage? People who don't know the difference should learn it.

How would you feel about a car "expert" who answered questions like this?
Q: How fast did you go?
A: 80 miles

Q: How far did you go?
A: 80 miles per hour

Q: How much fuel did you put in?
A: 11 gallons per minute

See example below of a total cluster%#$%4 when someone didn't know what the heck they were talking about:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=565905#p565905

K-MTG who I quoted at https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/anyone-tested-s-x-chademo-adapter-on-model-3.104109/#post-2470307 also didn't know what the heck he was talking about. He deleted his own post or something. We couldn't tell if he meant the power level got up to 50 kW or if 50 kWh was dispensed. He was also WAY off. The CHAdeMO adapter didn't work on the Model 3 until almost 2 years later.

There was this garbage involving nerys that I pointed to at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=566027#p566027.

valem said:
eatsleafsandshoots said:

100 percent daily, sometimes charging again during the day (like when I commuted and then wanted to go back downtown on Friday nights), plus all weekend local driving. Infrequent DCFC while my free membership was active. I live in a beautiful exurb that requires 20 minutes to get anywhere, plus I like to drive, so it added up!

Flyct said:
My point is everyone knows what someone means when they incorrectly state kW instead of kWh.
You have been a busy boy, knowing what everyone knows.

My car did 192 yesterday.

Back