62kwh Leaf Plus Efficiency Posting

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Off Topic Note; I have a spreadsheet where I have recorded my expenses and charging. I using a formula with fast charging efficiency at 96%, L 2 efficiency at 89% (5.8 KW) A few months ago, I got a meter that I put on the EVSE outlet and there is a growing discrepancy that suggests my L2 efficiency is higher than the 89% I am tracking. This would be a change from previous LEAFs as the 89% was derived from values when I had the utility grade meter hooked up. I took the meter out due to space issues but now am contemplating putting it back in to verify the accuracy of the meter I added.

I am now going back thru my data entries to check for any discrepancies that might have caused this?

My wife and I must drive much faster than most people posting here, because we average a solid 3.7 miles/kWh with our SL Plus on the freeway. For comparison, with our previous-generation Leafs we averaged 3.8 miles/kWh with a 2018 SV, and 3.9 miles/kWh with a 2017 SV. Almost all of our driving is on the freeway, and we try to stay with the flow of traffic with ProPilot on, so ~65-70 mph.

I can say that we drive about the same speed for most of our trips but we do not use the ProPilot feature(set the cruise control).

Same here. On the highway I only use propilot to eat/drink so I can take my hands off the wheel for spells. Else I don’t think I get quite the efficiency, and manual as you can prevent unnecessary regen and smooth the power draw a bit.

If you have the SV or SL keep the tires at 44 psi (max as permitted on sidewall).

Stay with packs of cars to limit drag a bit as the leaf is a bit chunkier then the 3 or Ionic.

Keep air on Auto as it lowers the draw on the battery.

Use Eco mode.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Same here. On the highway I only use propilot to eat/drink so I can take my hands off the wheel for spells. Else I don’t think I get quite the efficiency, and manual as you can prevent unnecessary regen and smooth the power draw a bit.

If you have the SV or SL keep the tires at 44 psi (max as permitted on sidewall).

Stay with packs of cars to limit drag a bit as the leaf is a bit chunkier then the 3 or Ionic.

Use Eco mode.

Yeah, that doesn't work. Unless you are within a few feet of the car in front of you, you are actually hurting your efficiency. Cars ahead of you create turbulence that hurts you. Depending on the size of the car in front of you, the "bad" zone is 10-30 feet behind them so you are much better off increasing your following distance.

DaveinOlyWA said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

Use Eco mode.

Yeah, that doesn't work. Unless you are within a few feet of the car in front of you, you are actually hurting your efficiency. Cars ahead of you create turbulence that hurts you. Depending on the size of the car in front of you, the "bad" zone is 10-30 feet behind them so you are much better off increasing your following distance.

I'm sure we can find articles and information to support either side of this debate. As an example, this https://www.treehugger.com/cars/drafting-behind-trucks-does-it-work.html article suggests following a semi at 100 feet would gain you some improved efficiency. I know someone shared an article earlier that proposed using the cruise control with three lines distance set to save on energy as well. Although I wouldn't recommend that because drivers can be rather erratic in their driving, and I would instead suggest maintaining a safe distance yourself.

I often see articles that claim cruise control is better for fuel efficiency but I believe they're making quite a few assumptions on the terrain, drivers around you, traffic, etc that are likely more "ideal" than "realistic" in my opinion.

Leftiebiker

Admittedly my comment is experience based not scientific, but it does seem if I am with a group of cars (say 10) across both lanes, at 3 bars of distance (which feels safe at 65mph) there feels to be an incremental improvement in efficiency. A couple tenths of a mile or so. If thick’s are part of the group, it certainly helps more. Again, no hard science in those statements.

As for auto setting, I usually keep my AC and 76-77F so the fan hardly runs after initial cooling,
Even on hot days. What it does do is keep the humidity out of the air (at temp equilibrium only using 1 or 2 bars of power on the power usage center screen). That bit makes it quite comfortable. If you leave it off of auto, the fan will run at a constant higher speed, driving up AC power usage, and ultimately use more power. It could be different if you keep the ac at 68, which for me is too cold.

As always, I appreciate the dialogue

NotATesla said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

Use Eco mode.

I'm sure we can find articles and information to support either side of this debate. As an example, this https://www.treehugger.com/cars/drafting-behind-trucks-does-it-work.html article suggests following a semi at 100 feet would gain you some improved efficiency. I know someone shared an article earlier that proposed using the cruise control with three lines distance set to save on energy as well. Although I wouldn't recommend that because drivers can be rather erratic in their driving, and I would instead suggest maintaining a safe distance yourself.

I often see articles that claim cruise control is better for fuel efficiency but I believe they're making quite a few assumptions on the terrain, drivers around you, traffic, etc that are likely more "ideal" than "realistic" in my opinion.

Mythbusters tested this scenario with a big-rig during one of their seasons long ago.

Their finding was that yes, following a big rig boosted your mpg. I see no reason why this wouldn't translate. You can dig up the episode but I recall they got a modest boost starting out at safe distances and then they pushed it to thoroughly unsafe distances and got a hell of a boost. You'd have to go watch the episode to get the actual numbers. But their finding was that it does indeed work.

SageBrush said:
danrjones said:
I recall they got a modest boost starting out at safe distances.
I think you mean less unsafe distances

LOL

I don't remember, I'd have to go back to watch it again. With a computer driving, things would probably be perfectly safe. Unless it was HAL

Well, have to say the response was quite predictable. Its like a different version of the "kw = kwh" circle jerk. I won't even mention your use of "ionic"

Exhausting to say the least.

In any case, I have exceeded 240 miles on a charge on the highway at 55-70 for most (maybe save 10-15 miles of traffic and construction) of the route. Trucks, cars, tire pressure, phantom range below 1%, magic, whatever. It worked without any real stress and with out hitting VLB. If you face headwinds without some help, you will get less range or have to slow down dramatically. North-South routes have been more favorable than going west (east was fine) as wind is often in your face going west.

Make of it what you will.

I am inclined to brick my car one time just to end the controversy.

Hi, new to this forum, just doing some pre-reading before my probable Leaf purchase. Currently I have a Volt but I suffer psychological harm every time the ICE kicks in.
I've seen it proposed that lower acceleration getting up to highway speed will improve efficiency. From an kinetic energy perspective it should not matter. Is there some inefficiency in energy used when there is a higher power draw from the battery?

October 972 miles 4.2 miles/kWh

We had snow in final week of October, so with heat kicking in, guessing we are going to continue to go down from here efficiency wise. (Chicago Area)

Birillo said:
Is there some inefficiency in energy used when there is a higher power draw from the battery?
Yes, but it is a very minor contribution to the overall result

City: reduce brake use
Highway: reduce speed

Birillo said:
Hi, new to this forum, just doing some pre-reading before my probable Leaf purchase. Currently I have a Volt but I suffer psychological harm every time the ICE kicks in.
I've seen it proposed that lower acceleration getting up to highway speed will improve efficiency. From an kinetic energy perspective it should not matter. Is there some inefficiency in energy used when there is a higher power draw from the battery?

Gentler acceleration will reduce degradation of the pack. We have a LEAFer who has 135,000 miles on his 2015 and LESS than halfway to losing his first capacity bar. He shuns the freeway to take country roads with speed limits of 50-55 mph. He charges to 100% and QC's twice daily to make his commute.

There is a higher resistance factor for higher power but from what I can tell, its pretty negligible. DK how regen works in Volt but I drive in B mode which is high regen and try to anticipate traffic and usually never touch my brakes unless I come to a full stop.

Back