Porsche Taycan - A 300 mile EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It must be fun to be an automotive engineer at Porsche. The mentality seems to be "don't worry about cost, just make the most advanced and most fun to drive car you can". Of course, that leads to high sticker prices and high maintenance costs but they are really a hoot to drive if you like to push the envelope. It will be interesting to see how their EV's pan out.

GRA said:
But can you imagine what it will be like when Porsche decides that batteries have advanced far enough to make a BEV 911? :eek: :shock:

If they can figure out how to make the batteries lighter and handle the heat better during continuous high intensity use then the sky is the limit in terms of a weekend track car/ fun daily driver. I'm excited to see the tech progress, with 11 manufacturers participating in Formula E (now including Porsche, Mercedes Benz, and Nissan) I expect we'll see some great innovations in the next 5-10 years...

https://www.thedrive.com/accelerato...ticipating-manufacturers-for-2019-2020-season

Quote: “the Taycan will begin its production life as two variants: the Taycan Turbo and the Taycan Turbo S, which run a staggering $150,900 and $185,000, respectively... Porsche has said it wants to offer versions of the Taycan that cost under $100,000. But even if or when that happens, the car is never going to be a mass-market sensation.”

No it is not a 300 mile EV and it is not a competitor to a Model S or Model 3. Let's see how many deposits hold since a base model is $150K with no added options and the real world range on a huge pack. This is a niche car for Porsche buyers and there is no way they will sell in the projected range with pretty much a price of double what was anticipated. No surprise here.

^^ It is a competitor to the Tesla on price.
Tesla Roadster 2.0, that is.

Porsche has a problem

I configured one just for fun and the price got over $230k. I'm sure I can remove a few options and be happy, but its over $200k for sure with any reasonable number of options. Heck the DCFC charging is an option. Also the portable charger is an option as well as any home wall chargers. It appears that you can buy the car with no way to charge except AC public charging. So the base price of $185 is really not realistic, and they nickel and dime you for options more than Tesla ever did. So sad. I really like the car, but its just not affordable. I can get a P3D for way less and it will beat the Porsche on every spec.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Turbo is a funny name. Are their customers that stupid?

Electronic electron injection would have been better.

If you pay $200K for that car you may be. Another Tesla Killer. Just buy a performance S and a 3 for the same price.

palmermd said:
I really like the car, but its just not affordable. I can get a P3D for way less and it will beat the Porsche on every spec.
Who ever expected Porsche to be affordable?

Which car can go round the 'ring faster?

WetEV said:
palmermd said:
I really like the car, but its just not affordable. I can get a P3D for way less and it will beat the Porsche on every spec.
Who ever expected Porsche to be affordable?
The people who think the car has nothing more than a cheaper car already offers.

Four thoughts come to mind:
1. Better performance on the 'ring or the Autobahn or the track
2. Car dynamics
3. The nameplate
4. The Look

SageBrush said:
^^ It is a competitor to the Tesla on price.
Tesla Roadster 2.0, that is.

Porsche has a problem

Finally some sense in this discussion. Instead of comparing an "existing" passenger sedan with a "nonexisting" sports car, we can now compare two nonexisting sports cars.

Via IEVS:
2020 Porsche Taycan Ride Along
https://www.motor1.com/features/368833/2020-porsche-taycan-review-ride/

Completely undramatic, except for all the drama.

There has never been an electric vehicle like the 2020 Porsche Taycan. I write this not just based on what the automaker has revealed of its first EV, but with first-hand experience from the passenger seat of the Taycan with a German hot shoe at the wheel. The Tesla Model S might offer more range, a more affordable price, or an ever-so-slightly quicker sprint to 60 miles per hour (I have a feeling independent testing will prove the Porsche quicker), but the sum of the Taycan's dynamic parts are leaps and bounds beyond anything Tesla has to offer. . . .

Another perspective on how the Taycan will affect Tesla:

First the basics;

The standard of measurement here is not whether the Porsche Taycan will (almost) eliminate Tesla's Model S sales numbers.
It won't. Rather, the standard of measrement is whether The Porsche Taycan will do either of two things:
1. Take away material sales at all from Tesla.
2. Reduce the investor's willingness to pay a high multiple on Tesla's future estimated earnings.
If either of those two things happen, all other things equal, the Porsche Taycan will end up having a negative impact on Tesla’s stock price.

Then the Tesla profitability effect:

Porsche expects to sell 20,000 Taycan units per year initially, doubling to 40,000 annualized by the end of 2020. Even if only 5,000 to 10,000 of these cars will come from Tesla’s sales numbers, that is a hit that Tesla can ill afford. Tesla is on track to sell not much more than 60,000 combined Model X and S in 2019. It is per definition a very bad thing for Tesla if it were to lose 6,000 would-be Tesla Model X and S buyers to Porsche. That would be 10% of Tesla’s 60,000 combined Model X and S units at the 2019 estimated sales level.

And then there's the consumer's latest "image need" effect;

If “the new cool car” to park in front of the country club or fancy restaurant no longer is a Tesla, but the Porsche Taycan, it will sting. It will tell the investor the direction in which the market is going. It won’t matter that Tesla’s sales of the Model 3 will remain good at around 300,000 units per year for another year or so. Call it the “second derivative” effect if you like. It’s a sign of trouble somewhere ahead, perhaps not until the second half of 2020 or 2021.Tesla has enjoyed a very special status in the automotive investing world because its product was so unique, so differentiated. It will remain different - just not as different as before. And it may not be considered the “coolest car to own” among the most techno-status seeking crowds largely in the major coastal cities.

And finally, we have the consumer rationalization factor;

People bought the iPhone for reasons such as perceived quality and uptime, including the Apple stores. Let’s take the automotive analogy here: Acceleration and range. Does a Tesla have longer range than Porsche Taycan? Yes, when it’s not in the shop. Does a Tesla accelerate ever-so-slightly faster than a Porsche Taycan, in a straight line, at least once? Yes, it does - when it’s not in the shop. Because when a Tesla is in the shop, its 0-60 MPH time may be 60 or 90 days, not 2.5 seconds. Its range will be zero - not 370 miles.

Maybe, just maybe, the luxury car buyer with no significant budget limitation, will prioritize reliability and service, compared to a 2.6 second vs 2.4 second
0-60 MPH time?

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4289884-tesla-vs-porsche-taycan-like-iphone-vs-android?dr=1

There're always some who discount the effect of the intangibles and others that conclude outcomes solely based on deterministic relationships, indicative of some recent posts in this thread with regard to how the Taycan will not affect Tesla.

So they spent $6.6 billion on development of their EV program, and Tesla has lost $6.3 billion in their existence... :lol: I see VW is beating the competition here. :lol:

Durandal said:
So they spent $6.6 billion on development of their EV program, and Tesla has lost $6.3 billion in their existence... :lol: I see VW is beating the competition here. :lol:

You do realize that:
1) Tesla has spent far more than $6.3B, since that loss includes revenue from sales
and
2) VW's EV program is looking like it could ramp up to multiple vehicles in very short order (ID3, Crozz, Buzz, Roomz, etc, not to mention their partnership with Ford)

I think VW intends to be competition in the EV space. We will see in the next year or two how well they can pull it off.

Apparently Tesla is sending a "Raven" version Model S to Germany to try to beat the Taycan's time on their famous brutal track, whose name already escapes me.

Can not wait for this fiasco to unravel, hopefully they do not kill anybody while at it. Tesla can not compete, just a few 0-60 jerks and off it goes to limp mode. Fake performance it is. May be their boss "submarine" would have a better chances. Auto Pilot is not really what you think it is, right? Dissing another EV car entering the market, this would come from a real jerk.

GetOffYourGas said:
You do realize that:
1) Tesla has spent far more than $6.3B, since that loss includes revenue from sales
and
2) VW's EV program is looking like it could ramp up to multiple vehicles in very short order (ID3, Crozz, Buzz, Roomz, etc, not to mention their partnership with Ford)

I think VW intends to be competition in the EV space. We will see in the next year or two how well they can pull it off.

Along that line, via GCC:
Series production of Volkswagen ID.3 starts at Zwickau in November; complete conversion of plant from ICEV to EV
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/09/20190908-zwickau.html

You might say this is what you'd expect from a driving enthusiast's review of the Taycan, and you'd be right. ABG:
2020 Porsche Taycan First Drive | Way more than 'Wooo!'
It's more than 0-60 times, electric range and a high price. It's a real Porsche.
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/09/24/2020-porsche-taycan-first-drive/

Love that green color.

Tom Moloughney's review at IEVS (I wouldn't be surprised if he was sharing the car with the above reviewer):
2020 Porsche Taycan First Drive: Proudly And Properly Electric
Ferdinand Porsche would be proud.
https://insideevs.com/reviews/372410/2020-porsche-taycan-first-drive/

. . . I can honestly say had more fun driving the Taycan than I've had in any car since driving an original Tesla Roadster back in 2009. The driving experience is top notch; the suspension is stiff, but not so stiff that you feel like your bumping around while driving over uneven road surfaces. It corners like it's on rails, and does so with amazing authority. . . .

Moloughney's a former Boxster owner, and as long-time readers know has owned several BMW BEVs (and has a M3 LR AWD now) and driven many other BEVs, including the S P100D.

Back