HELP deciding whether to buy a Leaf Plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
This may just be the immense imprecision of the current version of the language at work. It's why we need to be able to communicate clearly and with reasonable precision. Please drop the argument about the argument, folks. Both sides' positions are clear enough.

Yes, sorry. Thank you

I decided to price out the SR+ today in Pearl White, and then add in @DanRjones cost reductions and taxes/fees:

Car cost is $39k+$1k delivery = $40k
Taxes/fees are ~ $4k
Fed credit is (I think) ($2k)
Other cost reductions he received = ($6.5k)

---
Out of pocket would be $35.5k
The SR is ~ $4k less. It gives up some driver assist features (most notably DRCC), 20 miles of battery range, and some infotainment features.

I think the fed tax credit is currently 1875 for tesla.

Where I live we also had the CA rebate, 2500, an air district rebate of 3000 and electric rebate of 1000. Obviously the fed rebate various by brand and time you bought.

YMMV on credits. Some states are even better.

What would be nice is if more rebates applied to used vehicles. Even a smaller fed and state rebate for used EVs would be very helpful. Only the 1k electric company rebate was good for new or used.

SR+ is a good buy with 20 extra miles of unlocked range and other unlocked features.

The SR in white is $35k (+$1200 in destination and documentation fees). But it won't show up at the online store, one has to go to a physical Tesla store.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28691921/tesla-model-3-standard-range-price-change/

Tesla is currently in the last phase of its federal tax credit phase out from July-Dec this year where it is worth 1/4 x $7,500 = $1,875.

Some great local incentives in a few parts of CA and state rebates like in CO for plug-ins.

DougWantsALeaf said:
The Electric company rebates only appear to apply to Leaf's?

Do you think this is for the coming V2G trials, or a deal Nissan cut with the power companies?

Good question - for SCE, southern CA edison, it was 1k for ANY EV. Even used.
But SCE also had a deal with Nissan where you could get X amount off a Leaf or Y amount off a Leaf plus, separate from the rebate. I had a flyer for it at the time.

BUT it was a bit of a scam / promotion BS. It turned out it was "X amount off MSRP". Well since I was WAY below MSRP, the dealers would not take it. Honestly it was an amount off MSRP that you should easily have been able to hit with moderate negotiation anyway. Maybe ploy is better word than scam. I suppose it would have been nice when the plus first came out, you could have walked in and gotten Y under MSRP without any negotiation. That's my problem with the Kia, dealers still think they deserve full MSRP (or more at some!!) which I personally think its insane. I refuse to ever pay MSRP. That's just me maybe.

Cheers

danrjones said:
I refuse to ever pay MSRP. That's just me maybe.
The marketers have long ago figured out how to deal with the likes of you. They start with an even higher MSRP than they want and then "discount" (under duress, naturally.)

SageBrush said:
danrjones said:
I refuse to ever pay MSRP. That's just me maybe.
The marketers have long ago figured out how to deal with the likes of you. They start with an even higher MSRP than they want and then "discount" (under duress, naturally.)

No kidding. When I was doing the leaf deal they salesman was remarking what an amazing deal i got over and over. When I said what was really amazing was that they were screwing everyone else, he stopped talking. It is a big game. Something to be said for flat pricing like Tesla.

danrjones said:
When I was doing the leaf deal they salesman was remarking what an amazing deal i got over and over. When I said what was really amazing was that they were screwing everyone else, he stopped talking. It is a big game. Something to be said for flat pricing like Tesla.
EXACTLY

Sagebrush,

I agree as well. Flat pricing/Tesla (and Saturn from long ago) is a more efficient model. As dealers make most of their money in service now, I think they would actually do better in the long run as well moving to a fixed price model (via fewer sales people). The haggle method only works well for non-standard goods with limited supply and difficult value propositions (like antiques).

My sadness is that Dealers have largely missed their opportunity to become the electric gas stations of the future, moving away from heavy sales teams to service and concessions/retail while the customers charge up. As they are good (but not perfectly) distributed across the country, it could have made an overnight supercharger equivalent.

None of the old line manufacturers could see their way through how Tesla has changed the business model. Sadly now I think its almost too late.

EA, EVgo, and maybe Chargepoint will take over (in the US) for BP, Shell, etc.. but in a more limited capacity than the historic stations. Most with home charging only get 10-20% of their juice off of public chargers. Often less. So we only need a quarter of the stalls that were needed in the fossil fuel era.

danrjones said:
But SCE also had a deal with Nissan where you could get X amount off a Leaf or Y amount off a Leaf plus, separate from the rebate. I had a flyer for it at the time.

BUT it was a bit of a scam / promotion BS. It turned out it was "X amount off MSRP". Well since I was WAY below MSRP, the dealers would not take it.

To clarify, the utility company rebate may be a promotion, but it's not a scam. It's a legit rebate offered by Nissan to qualifying customers (meaning customers of those partnered utilities). What is a scam is the dealer telling you that they can't discount any more because you're using the rebate.

It's true that the Nissan rebate can't be combined with any other incentives out of Nissan's pocket, since they want to limit what they are forking out to the dealer, but the dealer's pricing is completely independent of anything Nissan may or may not do. The same protectionist laws that keep manufacturers from selling directly also prohibit manufacturers from dictating the price that the dealer is selling at. If the dealer only wants to sell every car at MSRP or above, they can, and if the dealer wants to sell every car at only $1 more than their actual cost and make it up in volume, they can do that as well.

Now, in your case, if the dealer was already discounting their sales price significantly and couldn't use any other Nissan incentives to get it lower since you had the utility rebate, then what they said might make sense. But otherwise, it sounds like them trying to trick you into thinking there's no other room to move when the dealer's sitting on a huge potential profit on the sale. Good on you for walking. It's better that they learn that it's more profitable in the long run to be honest for a decent profit than to be deceptive for the occasional fat one.

I just purchased a Leaf last month with the $3500 utility rebate and a nice healthy dealer discount. Dealer was happy with the sale, as was I, so there's definitely better dealers out there.

Nice clarification, thank you

So the SCE / Nissan discount is still in effect? Anyone in SCE territory should definitely try and use it.

adavidw said:
danrjones said:

BUT it was a bit of a scam / promotion BS. It turned out it was "X amount off MSRP". Well since I was WAY below MSRP, the dealers would not take it.

To clarify, the utility company rebate may be a promotion, but it's not a scam. It's a legit rebate offered by Nissan to qualifying customers (meaning customers of those partnered utilities). What is a scam is the dealer telling you that they can't discount any more because you're using the rebate.

It's true that the Nissan rebate can't be combined with any other incentives out of Nissan's pocket, since they want to limit what they are forking out to the dealer, but the dealer's pricing is completely independent of anything Nissan may or may not do. The same protectionist laws that keep manufacturers from selling directly also prohibit manufacturers from dictating the price that the dealer is selling at. If the dealer only wants to sell every car at MSRP or above, they can, and if the dealer wants to sell every car at only $1 more than their actual cost and make it up in volume, they can do that as well.

Now, in your case, if the dealer was already discounting their sales price significantly and couldn't use any other Nissan incentives to get it lower since you had the utility rebate, then what they said might make sense. But otherwise, it sounds like them trying to trick you into thinking there's no other room to move when the dealer's sitting on a huge potential profit on the sale. Good on you for walking. It's better that they learn that it's more profitable in the long run to be honest for a decent profit than to be deceptive for the occasional fat one.

I just purchased a Leaf last month with the $3500 utility rebate and a nice healthy dealer discount. Dealer was happy with the sale, as was I, so there's definitely better dealers out there.
There is one thing I know: Manufacturer discounts do not come out of the dealer's pocket. So every bargain hunter should try and drive the dealer profit down to as low as they can and THEN apply every other non-dealer discount.

Back