wheel locks ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyShackleford

Weird rattling sound coming from front-right wheel of our new (slightly-used) Leaf. I jack it up to pull the wheel off to see if I see anything weird, and apparently there is a lock on one of the lug nuts. It's round and prevents the socket from getting onto the hex flats, and it has a indentation in the face of it that's five-sided and each side has a kink in it (so it's kind of a "flowery" shape); I assume there's a special wrench to remove it.

I guess this is either a factory option, or an after-market thing, and the seller forgot to give us the key ? I guess I'll contact the seller, but the pattern looks like it might be kinda generic for all locks of this specific type, if I knew where to look.

Looks very much like the attached link, but the description of the item states " Its design allows for an unlimited number of different computer generated lock and key patterns." That makes me a bit worried about being able to find a key if the previous owner does not have it.

https://www.amazon.com/McGard-24215-Chrome-Thread-Wheel/dp/B004UARNHO/ref=zg_bs_15706751_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=A37NVTPWY4AZKFET7XZ1

I'd say aftermarket since I've never seen that on any Leaf's around here.

Do try to get the key from the OP. If that doesn't pan out then maybe try some tire shops as they may have a bunch of various keys lying around. Worst case, weld or epoxy a bolt head onto it so you can extract it that way.

Ok, did a little research - here is info for posterity:

Yes, that cute five-sided indentation is one of a number of distinct patterns, so the keys aren't one-size-fits-all. Our options are:

1. Contact previous owner and hope he has the key. Failing that, order a new key from McGard using the key ID code, by ...
2. Search glove compartment for a little card (or hope previous owner has) which has the key ID code.
3. Go to Nissan dealer. They should be able to discern the code using a master key they should have.
4. Failing all that, send McGard a photo of the face of the lock, along with some other info (call them at 800.444.5847 for full details).

http://www.mcgard.com/customer-service/faqs/

My car came with locking Nissan lug nuts. I have to remember that, but I do keep the removal tool in the car. The mobile tire service has never asked me to borrow it.

Dealer gave me the removal key as well as the 4 original (non-locking) lugs, which I promptly replaced as I didn't consider the LEAF wheels to be a high theft risk.

Give a thorough search in all of the car's possible storage areas; the key may still be in the car. Might be stored with the lug wrench or tire kit.

Worse come to worst, I think garages and tire shops have a tool they pound onto the offending lug that allows removal, but of course destroys the lug in the process. Or you can buy such a tool yourself. https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-M980-Emergency-Removal/dp/B000FTN3KK/ref=asc_df_B000FTN3KK

Yep, I have an S so I didn't realize the locking lug nuts were available on a Leaf. I've had something similar on other cars and I remove them as well. I mean....do people steal wheels off cars? :shock: If someone had the desire to do that I'd think they would have one of those emergency things in their pocket as well.

I found the thing after a brief search in the glovebox. (Reminds me of the list of funny pilot-mechanic interactions from USAF: "Number two engine missing". "Number two engine found after brief search").

I believe I'll remove 'em too. Previous owner might've been a bit paranoid, but dunno where he came from. Had thing set to lock the charging cord in place too.

I got the wheel locks on my 2018 SL. I immediately ordered another set from McGard, now one in the car, one at home because sometimes tire dealers forget to give them back to you.

goldbrick said:
I mean....do people steal wheels off cars? :shock:
We had a case where someone came onto campus (an office park of 4 buildings and 2000+ employees) and drove through one of our garages. They stopped at a newer Odyssey, jacked it up and put it on blocks, and stole all 4 wheels. In the middle of the afternoon! Thankfully security video helped identify the license plate of the thieves.

Back