Won't charge on Type 1 plug after Lighnting

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunderstruck

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a second hand 2011 Leaf. I was very happy with it, and everyting always worked flawlessly, but then last week there was a lighting stike nearby while my car was charging through J1772 on a charging station. The strike was a few hundred meters away, and did not hit directly the car nor the charging station, but after that the car won't charge anymore. It would beep but won't show any blue light. I tried another charging station and also a couple of the Nissan Level 1 EVSEs but no luck. I took it to the dealer, they have a Chademo station, and Chademo does work. They had it inspected for error codes, but the scan gave no errors. They said it's probably due to the OBC and it needs to be replaced. I asked them whether they can thoubleshoot it just to be sure, and they said no. Replacing that looks like a lot of money, and they're not even sure it will solve the problem, so I'm hesitant. We're currently not in a good financial situation (my wifeand I just had 2 babies and we both have been fired) so if replacing the charger is the only solution, I'd rather consider tring to sell the car for spare parts, and get a cheap gasoline car.

So before replacing the OBC or selling the car, is there any other troubleshooting we can do? I looked in older topics, but usually the problem is the car doen't charge but the blue lights still flash, which is not the case here. Or is there any cheap Chademo charging station that I could install at home, or any other way to survive without the J1772 socket? Any other option?

Thank you everyone!

Thank you for your quick reply. I saw some topics regarding this diode, but from my understanding, the original Nissan evse doesn't check the diode when charging, so it is still possible to charge with Nissan evse even if the diode is blown. Am I getting it wrong?

Thunderstruck said:
Thank you for your quick reply. I saw some topics regarding this diode, but from my understanding, the original Nissan evse doesn't check the diode when charging, so it is still possible to charge with Nissan evse even if the diode is blown. Am I getting it wrong?

I should know this, but I'm tired and my memory is acting up. I seem to recall cases in which only the DCFC system will charge the car. I may also recall cases like you mention in which L-1 charging works, but not L-2. Let's give this a few hours and see who else can help. I'm sorry I'm not at my best right now.

I think you mean lightning, and it is not clear that is the cause.

I suggest you pull DTC codes with LeafSpy for a start, and clear any codes **after** you write them down
And report here in detail *which* light is flashing and its pattern
See if this thread
https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=20359
is helpful.

Unfortunately the dealership you went to is worthless.

Thunderstruck said:
...there was a lighting stike nearby while my car was charging through J1772 on a charging station. The strike was a few hundred meters away, and did not hit directly the car nor the charging station, but after that the car won't charge anymore.

Did it continue charging at the charging station, or was the charging interrupted?

There is a specific issue with GE Wattstations (or at least older ones) and the Leaf. The kind of scenario mentioned can cause the Leaf's OBC to get fried. It is apparently a flaw in the Leaf's programming.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

LeftieBiker said:
You can check the diode in the OBC pilot circuit. Let's see if I can find you a thread... try this thread. Was it a GE Wattstation your car was connected to? There is a known issue with those and Leafs, when charging is interrupted...
https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=24560
I'm not sure about the brand of the station, but it wasn't a GE Wattstation.
I checked the OBC pilot circuit. I got very high resistance in both direction: 2.2 MOhm in the correct direction and out of scale (open circuit) in the opposite direction). According to the link you posted, this points to the diode on the charger. If it's only the diode, or something else was damaged, is still unclear.
I got 4.3 V on the proximity detection pin, which should be OK.

SageBrush said:
I think you mean lightning, and it is not clear that is the cause.
I suggest you pull DTC codes with LeafSpy for a start, and clear any codes **after** you write them down
And report here in detail *which* light is flashing and its pattern
Yes, I meant lightning, sorry for my english.
I'll have to get an OBD dongle. I have an OBD scanner but it's useless, from what I understand. Even the dealership's reader gives no error.
No light is flashing at all.

Nubo said:
Did it continue charging at the charging station, or was the charging interrupted?
The charging was interrupted.

davewill said:
You could try to source a used OBC and have a third party EV shop install it for you. It would probably be much cheaper.
I found something on Ebay, used but still expensive. I'm also looking for used Chademo home charging station, the way that I can bypass the charger, but that's even more expensive. I'd like to find a low power one, so that I don't overload the battery, but Chademo and low power don't get along well together.

I'll sleep on that one more night, I guess. Too many thoughts currently going on on my head, I'm unable to focus on this one...

I found this one used: https://twincar.sk/chargerdownload/UserManual10kw.pdf
It looks like you can limit the current, that's what I was looking for. But it's 3'000 USD for a used model...

Sorry for negative info, but Ingineer's post on this old thread is not encouraging:

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11605&p=474454#p474454

Back