Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guy,

CEC staff is saying that the stalled EA stations in California should resume activity after fire season. The utilities are focused on fire prevention and not EVs. Translation: year end or early next year.

Paul

DougWantsALeaf said:
Any confirmed installs of EA with 2 Chademo handles yet?

Why would anyone expect this?

VW is not building and very likely will not build cars with Chademo, excluding for Japan. Expect exactly what the court settlement requires, and not one more. I'd also expect EA/VW to eventually stop building any Chademo stations, and sometime after that removing the Chademo plugs EA has installed.

Paul, thanks for the info. So, probably November or December before they start up again, just in time for snow to make construction difficult. Ah well.

Sparks, NV (I-80 ex. 20) is open, #2 for the month and #287 total. This doesn't really add much for people traveling along I-80 except redundancy/ extra capacity with Fernley 28 miles to the east, but may be of use for those traveling west on I-80 who will turn onto 395.

WetEV said:
and sometime after that removing the Chademo plugs EA has installed.
Why ?
The station is not limited to CHAdeMO. The only reason I can think of taking the trouble to remove the cable would be if it broke and the replacement is simpler/cheaper with a CCS cable. That would presumably require the consent of the regulatory agencies.

I think the more interesting question is whether EA will eventually successfuly (and reliably) install 200 Amp CHAdeMO. For now EA is plentiful 350 kW CCS along with ONE, 50 kW, often broken, CHAdeMO.

I cannot remember the exact terms of EA required maintenance of these locations although 10 years sounds about right. At that time I expect Tesla to buy them in a firesale since I very much doubt they will be profitable as a stand alone enterprise.

I am very curious to see if there is a business model for EA to have with the free standing stations. They seem to break quite often. I also hope that with enough Nissan, Mitsubishi, and Tesla traffic as well as increasing competition from EVGO, the economics will drive better availability of Chademo.

EV sales will have to continue to climb quite a bit before they hit the profitability threshhold. Between Leaf, IPace, eTron, Bolt, eGolf, eMini, all the PHEVs, Tesla with adapter, etc.. they are not there yet.

As for Chademo, I do see more and more Tesla check ins at the EA stations. While the Tesla Chademo adapter limits draw to 50 kilowatts, the Chademo's generally go higher. I haven't quick charged at one in a while, but still have 73 kilowatts as my peak draw on the newer EA stations. The couple others I have tried have both been in the mid 50's.

Hopefully we can start a new thread soon on the new EVGO stations. Also, Iowa is building out a quick charge network across its interstates.

EA station here in Rocklin, CA along the I-80 freeway looks to go live soon, waiting to be powered up. Just one 50 kW CHAdeMO.

SageBrush said:
At that time I expect Tesla to buy them in a firesale since I very much doubt they will be profitable as a stand alone enterprise.

Ah, Tesla Trolling!

How sweet.

Does Tesla have a way to be profitable as a stand alone enterprise?

DougWantsALeaf said:
While the Tesla Chademo adapter limits draw to 50 kilowatts, the Chademo's generally go higher.
Not so.
I think you can count the number of EA CHAdeMOs in the USA that have 200 Amp charging on one hand. The remainder are 125 Amps and less.

Sagebrush

I can’t speak to any charger EA has installed outside of the Midwest, but the few I have used all have given me more than 50 at peak.

I will see if I can record the specs of the next one I use, but it will be a week or two. I really only quick charge on long trips, otherwise it’s just home charging every 7-10 days.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I am very curious to see if there is a business model for EA to have with the free standing stations. They seem to break quite often. I also hope that with enough Nissan, Mitsubishi, and Tesla traffic as well as increasing competition from EVGO, the economics will drive better availability of Chademo.

EV sales will have to continue to climb quite a bit before they hit the profitability threshhold. Between Leaf, IPace, eTron, Bolt, eGolf, eMini, all the PHEVs, Tesla with adapter, etc.. they are not there yet.

As for Chademo, I do see more and more Tesla check ins at the EA stations. While the Tesla Chademo adapter limits draw to 50 kilowatts, the Chademo's generally go higher. I haven't quick charged at one in a while, but still have 73 kilowatts as my peak draw on the newer EA stations. The couple others I have tried have both been in the mid 50's.

Hopefully we can start a new thread soon on the new EVGO stations. Also, Iowa is building out a quick charge network across its interstates.

Would you by chance have the peak "current" draw during those charge sessions?

Dave,

I think I have posted this before, but here was the EA session from 6 weeks ago. Max charging rate 73.29. I took some screen shots of the station on my tablet, which I will go find this evening to see if it has amps and volts.

Lincolnwood Town Center
3333 W Touhy Ave.
Lincolnwood, Illinois 60712
Charger #200014-01
Connector #2

Total paid: $6.07

Charging cost: $6.07
Discount: $0.00
Idling: $0.00 ($0.40/min)
Sales tax (0%): $0.00

End state of charge: 50%
Total energy delivered: 22.1 kWh
Max charging rate: 73.29 kW
Charging time: 00:20:17
Grace period: 00:10 min
Paid idle time: 00:00

446171_1563294609.jpg

Photo from From PlugShare

This one is going in near me, sure looks like some of the CCS will be 350KW, some 150KW and a lonely 50 KW Chademo, based on the annotation.

What vehicles right now can use 350 KW CCS?

DougWantsALeaf said:

That's pretty good! I tried out an EA station on our trip a couple weeks ago, but was only able to get 52kW. I suspect I started out with almost exactly the same level of charge as you, so I would guess that the stations from the three different suppliers handle Chademo differently.

Walmart 2947 Vancouver
9000 NE HIGHWAY 99
Vancouver, Washington 98665
Charger #100064-01
Connector #2

Total paid: $6.65

Session ID: 45810

Charging pricing: $1.00/session + $0.25/minute (pre-tax)

Charging cost: $6.65

End state of charge: 40%
Total energy delivered: 17.0 kWh
Max charging rate: 52.15 kW
Charging time: 00:22:35
Grace period: 00:07 min

danrjones said:
This one is going in near me, sure looks like some of the CCS will be 350KW, some 150KW and a lonely 50 KW Chademo, based on the annotation.

What vehicles right now can use 350 KW CCS?

None, but the Taycan will be able to charge at 270kW out of the gate, and as batteries get bigger/able to accept higher C rates there'll be cars that can use it. Porsche is talking about 400-500kW down the road, which won't be possible for 800 volt packs as long as the stations are limited to 350A, i.e. no more than 280kW, but if the input/output is the max. of 350A @ 950V, the AC/DC placard limits on the BTC chargers I looked at in Castro Valley, they could output up to 332.5kW (assuming a PF of 1.0).

DougWantsALeaf said:
Dave,

I think I have posted this before, but here was the EA session from 6 weeks ago. Max charging rate 73.29. I took some screen shots of the station on my tablet, which I will go find this evening to see if it has amps and volts.

Lincolnwood Town Center
3333 W Touhy Ave.
Lincolnwood, Illinois 60712
Charger #200014-01
Connector #2

Total paid: $6.07

Charging cost: $6.07

I will have to do some digging but have one of those EA reports that was VERY wrong for charging speed. Since power varies with SOC, a better measure is the maximum amperage you get along with the ramp down curve. LEAF Spy logs will tell you all this.

Astros said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

That's pretty good! I tried out an EA station on our trip a couple weeks ago, but was only able to get 52kW. I suspect I started out with almost exactly the same level of charge as you, so I would guess that the stations from the three different suppliers handle Chademo differently.

Walmart 2947 Vancouver
9000 NE HIGHWAY 99
Vancouver, Washington 98665
Charger #100064-01
Connector #2

Total paid: $6.65

Session ID: 45810

Charging pricing: $1.00/session + $0.25/minute (pre-tax)

Charging cost: $6.65

End state of charge: 40%
Total energy delivered: 17.0 kWh
Max charging rate: 52.15 kW
Charging time: 00:22:35
Grace period: 00:07 min

You need to try the EA Lacey station. You will quickly find that not all EA stations are equal. :roll:

I think most Bolt, eTRon, iPace, even Leaf owners are just glad there are stations available outside of metro areas. There was no availability before EA.

Honestly for cross country, 50-75 works reasonable well, as if you are driving 3 hours or more between stops, and hour stop is likely what you would take for a meal anyway.

That said, if you are a 1K mile a day just get there driver, you need a Tesla still.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I checked my screen shots. It does not look like EA puts amps and volts on the screen.
Easy enough to figure out with LeafSpy. Combine the kW and voltage screens.

watt = amp * volt

Back