Newby charging question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flash890

I couldn't find this question on the site anywhere but maybe I wasn't searching properly. Apologies if this is old news.

So here's the deal. We bought a 2019 Leaf SL with the 40KW battery. We wanted the 62KW battery but the dealer wanted $10k more for it for 75 miles ($133/mile). Crazy. Anyway, it is supposed to have a 150 mile range. Yet, when it has charged overnight it is never says 150 miles. It is usually in the high 150s to mid 160s. I once saw it say 172 miles. Is the charger killing the battery?

And that begs another question, is 100% really 100%? Is 0% really 0%? I have heard that Tesla never charges over 80% even though it says 100% and that it never goes below 20% even though is says 0. This to protect the battery. So is that true and what does the Leaf do?

We have put 7,700 miles on it since the middle of March. We both love the car and only drive the gas car when we need two cars or need to go a long distance. We are wondering how it will handle a Minnesota winter. Fortunately we have some options.

Thanks in advance for your wise council.

PS: As it has turned out 150 miles has been just fine. We rarely use half of that and have only been as low as 20% a handful of times.

The range estimator is commonly referred to as the "Guess O Meter" because it relies mainly on driving data from the last few minutes before the car was parked last - not from any actual (and impossible) knowledge of how far or how fast you will be driving next. So no, the full charge isn't an over-charge, although it is better for a lithium battery to not be left sitting at 100% indicated charge for many hours, especially in hot weather. The range estimator has actually improved from past versions, but is still only making a semi-educated guess.

Battery capacity is measured in kWh, not "KW".

Yep on the guess-o-meter aka GOM. It sucks. Ignore it.
flash890 said:
I have heard that Tesla never charges over 80% even though it says 100% and that it never goes below 20% even though is says 0.
Not true.

cwerdna said:
Battery capacity is measured in kWh, not "KW".

Yep on the guess-o-meter aka GOM. It sucks. Ignore it.
flash890 said:
I have heard that Tesla never charges over 80% even though it says 100% and that it never goes below 20% even though is says 0.
Not true.

The above sounds like the Prius charging algorithm. Toyota programs the Prius BMS to keep the SOC between 20% and 80% to preserve the NiMH battery.

Oh, and the 2018+ GOM is actually quite a bit better than the previous versions. I suspect that it uses some averaged data from further back than the last few minutes, but that's only my guess, as it were...

flash890 said:
And that begs another question, is 100% really 100%? Is 0% really 0%? I have heard that Tesla never charges over 80% even though it says 100% and that it never goes below 20% even though is says 0. This to protect the battery. So is that true and what does the Leaf do?

State of charge percentage is a somewhat arbitrary construct. If you want to find the absolute 100%, charge until the battery shows visible damage or bursts into flames. Everything else is an engineering compromise to balance safety, longevity and utility.

Back