Would it make sense in buying such gen2 battery (SOH 85%)?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrey

I found wrecked gen2 2015 Leaf, but 24kWh battery there is not-so-well. Is there any sense in buying the whole car to get such battery? How fast this battery can degrade? My battery's SOH is slightly above 60%. LeafSpy screen attached, GID 163.
v60cLBDI-iRLUuSwGqtq_6hrU2PIhjxj67VuuO_9POy4-BjtEwlq3NizJX_-KNQgAzIlsVwABf7nyQcZjEFebauhIPA5HhbyYKL90wk_pvoZxDj68Qda0vjVDQSkhEUyKSx-JoD9R6HvRJT6XHQcTeVZDgZ3CfyEgLO1n_-ChBNIded3IC-QDZ_eB8fLcPqAiQKnKOHfmfsCFGL_hFYWsdj3cUHieIomxPKc4eN00DTefHDXi59orsL6izpLpXaOlMd9VbNOZCua6SBcZueZtpBejdIpvBXFkccBb2Ygs5Fov0bJ3KueNRO9EnkS6k8UnTpojL8MXwf6lR04SWaBOcdZbTkyLHUcKD9Ct-4p7Pp3KtklVfqZRLnGJe7SZNQrx7o6_kJOhtXggcDFjEmH-g3Jyu_3whHHpn4VXhG0oRnkEP7o6wRE0mgV2_a0czMCe7qDu89bidrAS2oPAxAaC1YHwpmyhitkjq44JQNjA3BxNGWt9gxwpmvRCV4CpBye3bSDNXsx7u1kDdCnB-U1euUS62CSFQK2EjP-n9Z-biVtGZbeG08zznZUgTfcpZJcLqqOypX_QNuCaWqCrIB8ipEf7y_wtVbaKGfcFUmwC6ajIgO80lX4zWRgyoRMrRKFqVfZxZIW7SArJyIaFuDHgL__YGOukeAcnRP0OxtbF1KCTyaD4CWhF15zbQ5KbmyA36XrlO_DVoSi_IZ9wGUdpfUooztAC08ZUgtiex-XeEQMTDs=w583-h1036-no

Andrey said:
San Jose, CA - car is always in the shade except weekend.

Cwerdna probably knows more abut your micro-climate. If the air temps regularly get into the 90s or higher, and if it stays warm at night, that's a problem. If, as I think, your climate is mild, then you should have quite a few years before the pack reaches 60%.

My goal is to keep this car as cheap as possible :)
Also I saw 59 miles on GOM while it was 67% charged. (59/67)*100 = 88 mi. Yes I know it's GOM :)

That battery seems good. It's basically a full 11 bar battery. Compared to what you have, it'll be a big difference. Keep in mind that you'll get your regenerative braking back too, so it's more than a 60-85% upgrade in range.

If you can get a good price on this car, this might be a good thing to do. I did a similar swap in my car to go from a 7 bar to an 87% SOH and have been very happy.

Keep in mind you'll have to either open up the battery pack and swap the modules OR get the EV pairing tool made by Evsenhanced to pair the pack.

Lothsahn said:
That battery seems good. It's basically a full 11 bar battery. Compared to what you have, it'll be a big difference. Keep in mind that you'll get your regenerative braking back too, so it's more than a 60-85% upgrade in range.
So that's what happened - I used to see that my brakes became too sensitive and I can't brake smoothly.
I'm mostly looking for a cheap way to avoid charging it both at home and work with only 20-22 mile one way, this is really annoying.

Lothsahn said:
Keep in mind you'll have to either open up the battery pack and swap the modules OR get the EV pairing tool made by Evsenhanced to pair the pack.
Tomorrow I'll talk to EV technician from Nissan dealership I maintain car in. I hope it's not just rumors about adapter between gen1 car and gen2 battery. So far I was told it's $600 for swapping the battery (and obviously pairing it).

Andrey said:
LeftieBiker said:
There is such an adapter.

But nobody knows it's numbers. Crossing fingers that price of this adapter is included to these $600.

The part number has been listed here, but with the proliferation of similar topics, and the site's terrible search engine, it's a long shot finding it. I'll look through Google...well, that was easy!

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=24272

Andrey said:
Tomorrow I'll talk to EV technician from Nissan dealership I maintain car in. I hope it's not just rumors about adapter between gen1 car and gen2 battery. So far I was told it's $600 for swapping the battery (and obviously pairing it).

$600 is cheap. My dealership initially quoted it at 8 hours of work for around $1k, then said they wouldn't do it at all. Even if you have to pay a little more for an adapter, that's a very reasonable price.

LeftieBiker said:
The part number has been listed here, but with the proliferation of similar topics, and the site's terrible search engine, it's a long shot finding it. I'll look through Google...well, that was easy!

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=24272

Yes I've seen this topic, but there was doubt in this topic because this list doesn't include seal for unused plug + there's nothing called adapter.

BTW I thought I saw somewhere, but couldn't find now - is there a strong preference on 2015 battery because of some bug introduced to later 24kWh batteries? And as I recall 30kWh batteries are no-go for gen1 because of amount of changes needed, correct?

LeftieBiker said:
Andrey said:
San Jose, CA - car is always in the shade except weekend.

Cwerdna probably knows more abut your micro-climate. If the air temps regularly get into the 90s or higher, and if it stays warm at night, that's a problem. If, as I think, your climate is mild, then you should have quite a few years before the pack reaches 60%.
I most definitely know that micro-climate. :)

During the hottest months, SJ might have a few weeks (in total) of highs in the 90s or even 100ish. It is very unusual for SJ to stay warm at night. During even the hottest months, at night, it should fall into the 60s or lower.

SJ is definitely one of the hotter cities in the Bay Area but nowhere near as bad as Walnut Creek, Concord, Dublin and Livermore.

That said, https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=20725 was in SJ w/a crap chemistry it just made it within the mileage limit of his capacity warranty.

The used 5/2013 built '13 (not lizard chemistry yet) I bought used in July 2015 w/under 24K miles and SOH of 91% lost its 1st bar in Nov 2017 with under 50K miles. I'm near 66K miles now and SOH is around 81 to 83%. At last check, it was 81.81%. I take steps to keep the battery cooler and avoid charging to 100% most of the time.

Lizard chemistry should hold up better than mine.

Thanks cwerdna for sharing the info!

After talking to dealer's tech, went out disappointed. He told me he can't swap batteries gen <-> gen2, and (guess what?) suggested me to buy new battery, "retrofitted to gen1". When I asked him about adapter kit alone, he said "it's not to be sold alone". Also he estimated dropping two batteries in $1110.

So I'm looking for adequate repair shop that can do this for reasonable price, to swap cells by myself.

Back