Just did recall and a reprogram and now....

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sthbeach

So yesterday I had my car serviced by Nissan for 2 things. First they did the recall for the battery plates that can apparently rust out and second I asked them to reprogram my computer because I experienced Rapidgate a few weeks ago. Before they reprogrammed my 2018 Leaf SL it always showed full Regen squares available no matter my SOC but now after the reprogram, at full charge I have only 2 squares available with e pedal active and 3 squares available with eco+e pedal. I monitored it closely today and it wasn't till I got down to about 85% SOC that all the Regen squares became available.
Also to note that before reprogram, not only did I have all Regen squares available but just using e pedal I was able to achieve full Regen based on the indicator. Also, after reprogram, not only does it show only 2-3 Regen squares available but with e pedal engaged there is barely any Regen braking till I was below 85% SOC.

Has anyone else experienced this and is it normal?

It sounds normal and reasonable, for the same reason you don't want a DCFC station to keep charging at 50+kw above 85%: battery heat buildup.

I think there is an existing topic where this would fit. If so I'll move these posts to it later.

Full regen at very high SOC is not possible. I rarely have my car in the 90's but I am always well below full before full regen is available to me and that is pretty much how a LEAF works...including yours.

Interesting it wasn't like that for me before the reprogram.
I always charge to 100%, out of necessity, and before the reprogram my car showed all the Regen bars and had full use of them as well.
I can just hope it's for the better anyway.

It's a way to limit battery heating so if you want to do a DC Fast Charge the battery is better able to handle the added heat and the car doesn't have to 'throttle back' the charge as much. I'm guessing that the original programming was judged to be a contributing factor to the heat-related charge throttling that is known as "RapidGate."

sthbeach said:
Interesting it wasn't like that for me before the reprogram.
I always charge to 100%, out of necessity, and before the reprogram my car showed all the Regen bars and had full use of them as well.
I can just hope it's for the better anyway.

That is impossible

It's not impossible Dave.
I have no reason to lie, before I got the reprogram yesterday I showed full Regen squares all the time, even at full charge and I always use e-pedal only and if I let off the gas completely it would be a strong Regen and the bars would fill all the way to the bottom.
I never mentioned it until now because I was ignorant to how the Regen is supposed to work and didn't know otherwise.

Back