The 40KWH Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You only get a number of stars. It's a lame readout although AFAIK, no one knows what information Nissan actually receives. One would think they would get a lot of logs of usage, etc but they don't share anything with the customer. It's possible the dealer doesn't even see that data and that it just goes back to some data base in Nissan HQ or something.

So until someone loses bar #1 on a 2018 or 2019, we have no real idea if SOH in leafspy is working.

Anyone loose a bar yet? Someone who bought early in 2018?
When were the first 2018's delivered? That means 1.5 or almost 2 years in, no one has lost a bar.

Mine looks just like yours! I got my '18 SV Leaf in June-15 and had 95.95. My 3mos adjustment happened 9/4-9/8 and lost 2.4!! I'm now at 93.06!
Here was my adjustment....
09/02/2019 95.5
09/03/2019 95.5
09/04/2019 95.28
09/05/2019 94.93
09/06/2019 94.15
09/07/2019 93.87
09/08/2019 93.09

09/09/2019 93.09
09/10/2019 93.09
09/11/2019 93.08
09/12/2019 93.08
09/13/2019 93.07
09/14/2019 93.07
09/15/2019 93.06
09/16/2019 93.06

Also like you, no matter what i do it still drops. But i do try keeping it around 40-70 SOC. I only have 3 QC and not by me.
I live in the midwest so its can get hot and humid but nothing compared to the southwest desert.

I was also playing around with cooling the battery somehow. I opened up the access cover on the back seat floor. I can feel the air when driving. When i put a bright light in the access hole and turn off all the lights in my garage and look under the car. I can see light coming out. You can see the airflow passages. But even if i try putting a fan in there or no matter what i do, i still loose about .01 a day or every other day no matter what. VERY DISAPPOINTING!!

Have any 40’s lost a bar yet.

Maybe, but we haven't seen it documented yet. Cwerdna saw a Facebook post showing a 40kwh dash display with 3 bars gone, FWIW.

Do the SOH changes seem to correspond to a loss in range of the same magnitude?

Maybe. I'm down close to 10% I'd guess, and my GOM shows 130 miles more often than 150 now. I don't take 150 mile drives.

danrjones said:
LeftieBiker said:
Which one doesn't always go down?

With previous generation battery packs, the SOH will go up occasionally, like after a QC session. We do have one lonely instance of a 40kwh pack SOH going up - a little, once.

I have this picture in my head of some tech guy as Nissan sitting around laughing at us for watching leafspy every day.

But those battery health bars must be connected to something. When Nissan does a service, what exactly do they print out and give you?
I read here somewhere that someone had a five star battery rating. Is that all you get?

The free report should be named "owner evaluation of charging/driving habits" since that is all it gives you. There is a true test of the pack and its NOT FREE. Some reports I've its as low as $149 but since its shop time, prices will vary.

I don't really see the value of paying for the test unless you feel your range is not aligning with the number of capacity bars the car is displaying.

SageBrush said:
LeftieBiker said:

Maybe, but we haven't seen it documented yet. Cwerdna saw a Facebook post showing a 40kwh dash display with 3 bars gone, FWIW.
Why is the FB report not "documentation" ?

Probably because there is no evidence. I see a lot of claims on Facebook with no pix, no data of any kind. Just a statement...

SageBrush said:
LeftieBiker said:

Just because Facebook is such a nest of liars. ;) There was a photo, IIRC, but I don't know how detailed it was, and they can be faked.

LeftieBiker said:
SageBrush said:
LeftieBiker said:

Just because Facebook is such a nest of liars. ;) There was a photo, IIRC, but I don't know how detailed it was, and they can be faked.

If there indeed is one, I like to see the leafspy stats that went with a 1 bar looser, 2 bar looser, etc
See if the leafspy SOH for 2018 means anything.

Anything is possible. Its not like it would be that difficult to torture the pack. People do it all the time. But I have a HUGE presence on FB and its not like I see everything but I don't miss much and I don't remember seeing this. I put some feelers out to people who are also very active in the EV space and its either "didn't see it" or no response so far.

danrjones said:
Lw4nier said:
danrjones said:
What's your mileage though?

We are only around 1900 miles.
Almost looks like mileage doesnt matter.

My mileage is 2400. I don’t think mileage matters either.

Ok thanks. But our mileage is pretty close too. I'd be curious to see a 2018 with 20k miles.

In 4 days I will have had my '18 Leaf for 1 year. I just got home & the odometer reads 17001 miles & my car's SOH shows 94.33%

LeftieBiker said:

Do the SOH changes seem to correspond to a loss in range of the same magnitude?

Maybe. I'm down close to 10% I'd guess, and my GOM shows 130 miles more often than 150 now. I don't take 150 mile drives.

The GOM range number seems to be more affected by your current mi/kwh equation than the actual battery capacity to a certain point.

Case in point, even "missing" roughly 5% capacity I can still get the GOM to show 180 miles of range with a full charge when I'm averaging 4.6m/kwh or greater.

I dont know if it was this thread or another but I noticed the GoM takes into account whether AC is on or off but doesnt seem to care what speed or temp set point I used. I "guess" that's where the G comes in.

Back