Please Report 2018 - 2020 Leaf Defects Here

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drove my 2018 for a year. The only issue was a steering wheel vibration at 65 mph. Dealer identified a bad tire when they road force balanced uf. Replaced the Michelin tire and vibration was gone.

No other issues at all.

Update: After the dealer inspected and tested the brake pedal it was determined it was normal. It was simply the solenoid sensor that does the e-pedal braking. The sound is generally only audible when the audio system is off, windows closed, and A/C on low. Must not have heard it previously as I usually had music playing at medium level. It was definitely not the lug nuts as they rotated my tires on this same visit.

I actually test drove a PLUS unit on that same visit, and heard the same sound.

jdcbomb said:
Starting after my 2nd month of ownership in near freezing weather, my 2018 Sep (bought in Dec) vehicle made a single "click" sound every time I depress the brake pedal (click happens on the initial push, nowhere else during its travel). Warmer weather did not stop the click. It doesn't seem to affect the operation of the pedal, but the sound gets annoying especially how quiet it is inside. I'll get it examine during a visit to the dealer in a couple months. No other issues observed.

2018 SL Manuf: 2018.08

Not sure if this can be classified as a defect or just plain bizarre:

Driving at about 72 mph on NC 540 toll road with e-Pedal on, ProPilot on and fully engaged (lane + distance). Outside temperature about 80 F. Time around 19:40 EDT.

Passed under electronic toll both at 72 mph. Have driven under this booth at least 20 times without issue. Within a second or two, multiple warning lights and beeps + PP disengages + e-Pedal shuts off + VDC shuts off. (Warnings: e-Pedal System Malfunction)

Arrived home with several warning indicators. Shut off vehicle. Turned it back on. Some indicators gone. All come back when e-Pedal or PP are turned on.

Took into dealer first thing. After an hour or diagnostics, they confirmed no issue after re-programming / resetting the codes. Unrelated bonding plate also replaced (as part of recall).

What the heck happened? Anyone else?

Didn't North Carolina recently implement a toll road anti-speeding campaign, that cars that went through a toll booth exceeding the posted limit were hit with an EMI pulse which temporarily disabled the vehicle to slow it down?

OrientExpress said:
Didn't North Carolina recently implement a toll road anti-speeding campaign, that cars that went through a toll booth exceeding the posted limit were hit with an EMI pulse which temporarily disabled the vehicle to slow it down?

Sounds like an urban legend, or distortion of something else. An actual EMP would disable cars by destroying their chips. A pulse too weak to do that but still able to slow them? Maybe, but that would be lawsuit bait. Not that I have much sympathy for speeders...

Although it's possible I believe the theory of an EMI causing this extremely unlikely. That would probably break multiple FCC / local laws on wireless transmissions, and would be all over the news / forums every day.

The going theory is that the wireless readers when scanning for my toll RFID somehow reflected directly into the radar sensor causing the system to freeze up. The service manager was surprised too, as he also thought at first it was a bad front sensor. He did say he saw this happen to another Nissan PP equipped vehicle before under the similar conditions.

I do wonder if It means the radar / camera and other sensors need to be recalibrated shielded to not accept this kind of interference.

Any 2018 LEAF's having problem with A/C blowing warm air intermittently, and having to wait or re-start car to get blowing cold again?

dsh said:
Any 2018 LEAF's having problem with A/C blowing warm air intermittently, and having to wait or re-start car to get blowing cold again?

Possibly mine. I'm honestly not sure if it's just a cool cabin from a cool garage, or if sometimes when I first start driving in hot weather I get some inappropriately warm air for a few minutes.

aeroevan said:
2018 SL, the automatic emergency brake warning light kept turning on. Took it into the dealership, and they are waiting on a part. They said it was on back order due to this being a common issue, so I'd be interested to see if anyone else is in the same boat.

It sounded like the forward facing radar (in the front bumper) shorted out due to moisture getting in, but I might not have all of the info yet.

I'll edit this post with any updates, hopefully it won't take too long to get the part...
Not a Leaf but I had a rental '18 Sentra when I was in upstate NY just within the past 2 weeks. The Enterprise rent a car person who picked me up in it and the car got some error about the front radar or collision warning system, most likely the one at https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/faulty-radars-compromising-nissan-emergency-braking-system/. The worker said ugh and claimed it was a bug on the sensor.

Well, whatever. I took that car as a rental and kept getting that error but then it might go away for 20 minutes and then come back. I put over 200 miles on that car in short order and it was frankly annoying as it kept going away for awhile then coming back.

When I dropped off the car, another worker dropped me back off at my hotel in the same car, he said "all" their Sentras have that problem. He claimed that one he drove suddenly slammed on the brakes for no reason due to the above sensor prob, which to him was dangerous. Sounded like Enterprise wasn't having great luck w/getting their Sentras fixed for this.

OTOH, the '19 Altima rental I had in AZ and put over 450 miles on also had such a warning system standard and I never had this problem.

This is a common issue with the 2018 Leaf. Mine had it, but it seems to have gone away on its own, after showing up quite a few times after I drove on dusty, freshly-grooved pavement last Fall.

The '18 Sentra rental I had was hecho en Mexico. The '19 Altima rental was assembled in the US (either Smyrna or Canton). Who knows if they have the same or similar sensor parts? I wonder if there were bad batches?

I first noticed this issue after reaching around 5,000 miles in the 18 SV. Any sharp left turn (u-turn) on a flat or downward include would cause an audible creaking sound coming from the left front area behind the dash.

First visit to original dealer resulted in "unable to replicate." Took to 2nd dealer a couple weeks later and was easily replicated. Tech investigated it for at least 2 hours and could not confirm the location. Weeks later Nissan regional tech lead worked with on-site tech and attached wireless sound sensors to multiple areas.

Confirmed it was not the axle, not the wheel, not the brakes, not the CV joint, and most interesting it was NOT the strut tower (older LEAFs has a TSB for strut tower spacers to solve a similar sound.)

After spending another 4 hours taking apart the under side panels and other components, the going theory it's a bad weld somewhere in the chassis. This will require me to leave the car with a certified body shop that will have to disassemble much of the left side to get to the chassis defect.

Dreading they won't be able to put it all back together correctly but we'll see. Warranty issue means I get free rental (dreading a ICE car too).

What's disturbing is I have another 18 MY SL and it's starting to exhibit the identical sound...

Had the car 2 months. Minor issue with the iPhone freaking out, seems to have cleared with latest Apple update.

Also seeing the dome light flicker when set to "door" - I'm guessing there's a manufacturer defect in one of the door sensors. With any of the doors open, it's fine, close them and it doesn't go all the way out.

Finally, got an errant warning from the radar system this morning, with no one in front of me. Nothing too dramatic, but I'll see if the dealer can pull any codes. Hoping that Boulder Nissan has enough experience with these cars, and sells enough of them, to offer reasonable support.

Like the car so far. Actually quite nice. Definitely a good value in an EV in today's market, at least in Colorado, and for my purposes.

frontrangeleaf said:
Had the car 2 months. Minor issue with the iPhone freaking out, seems to have cleared with latest Apple update.

Also seeing the dome light flicker when set to "door" - I'm guessing there's a manufacturer defect in one of the door sensors. With any of the doors open, it's fine, close them and it doesn't go all the way out.

Finally, got an errant warning from the radar system this morning, with no one in front of me. Nothing too dramatic, but I'll see if the dealer can pull any codes. Hoping that Boulder Nissan has enough experience with these cars, and sells enough of them, to offer reasonable support.

Like the car so far. Actually quite nice. Definitely a good value in an EV in today's market, at least in Colorado, and for my purposes.

Boulder Nissan is the #3 dealer in the country when it comes to LEAF sales, so if others are seeing this I'm sure they've seen it too.

Nigel Zeid in their sales department is a huge proponent and is a nice guy to boot.

Relatedly, I had a recent experience there doing the battery plate recall and annual battery check. The way they handle customers is excellent - free Uber rides to somewhere local if you don't want to wait for your car to be serviced. And if you do want to wait, their waiting room isn't too bad either.

BoulderLeaf said:
frontrangeleaf said:

Boulder Nissan is the #3 dealer in the country when it comes to LEAF sales, so if others are seeing this I'm sure they've seen it too.

Nigel Zeid in their sales department is a huge proponent and is a nice guy to boot.

Relatedly, I had a recent experience there doing the battery plate recall and annual battery check. The way they handle customers is excellent - free Uber rides to somewhere local if you don't want to wait for your car to be serviced. And if you do want to wait, their waiting room isn't too bad either.

Awesome! We had a good buying experience there too. I thought going to Boulder would be a good bet. I met Nigel, agree, he's a great guy and very knowledgeable.

I was looking at the title of this topic...

I would not say that people are able to report "defects". That implies that whatever comments they have apply to all other cars...

I would rather call this a topic to report - User problem experiences.. Just a thought...

Regarding dome light: If the light flickers or fails to turn on when doors are open, try moving the lever switch through all positions and make sure it is firmly in desired position after cycling it a few times. I noticed flickering after replacing the bulb with a bright white LED. I probably bumped the switch when I removed the cover or old bulb. Moving the switch a few times fixed it.

Thanks Gerry. Dome light issue resolved.

So we’re back to zero issues at nearly 3 months.

So far so good. Going to pick up the tow eyelet this evening. Car should come with one.

-b

Back