Cleaning hood cowl

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ixnay

Each of the 3 Leafs I have owned collects leaves and debris in the corners of the windshield cowl, just below the hood. Between oak trees at work and maples at home, I shall be busy for the next two months. Removal of the debris isn't easy. It's hard to get my hand in the crevice, and the edges are not dulled. I end up with dirty, bleeding fingers. For the smaller, hard-to-reach stff, my usual method has been an air gun and a shop vacuum. Neither works perfectly. Anyone have a tip?

P.S. Searches involving "leaf" and "detail(ing)" won't help--too many results.

ixnay said:
Each of the 3 Leafs I have owned collects leaves and debris in the corners of the windshield cowl, just below the hood. Between oak trees at work and maples at home, I shall be busy for the next two months. Removal of the debris isn't easy. It's hard to get my hand in the crevice, and the edges are not dulled. I end up with dirty, bleeding fingers. For the smaller, hard-to-reach stff, my usual method has been an air gun and a shop vacuum. Neither works perfectly. Anyone have a tip?

P.S. Searches involving "leaf" and "detail(ing)" won't help--too many results.

I regularly use a blowgun before the debris has a chance to sit wet and turn into dirt, actually happens quicker than you'd think!
Sure I'd love to store my '12 inside, unfortunately, my '13 and our '07 Prius have those spaces tied up :) Storing a not daily used car outside kind of sucks. Brake rotors rust quickly(like after every weekly rain) and grind for the first several blocks, sap, leaves and tree seeds get everywhere(including under the cowl) not to mention other areas near the base of the windscreen, etc. And no, before anyone mentions covering the car with say a car cover, that only seems to make things worse, trapping moisture under the car and with ICE vehicles anyway can cause your muffler to rust away within a couple years(thank goodness not a problem with our BEV Leaf but sure could be with a PHEV Volt or any PHEV).
I'm sure things are different in sunny CA, sunny AZ or sunny TX but FL might also have moisture(humidity) problems storing a lightly used car.
Note our Prius also had areas that trapped leaves etc. and because of the muffler and it starting to show rust on it's undercarriage, it's why it's got the other garage space and not the newer '12SL :)

Back