Leaf needed to Jumpstart frequently

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raj1234

I was out of town for a month and My 2015 Nissan Leaf was not used during this period.

Since i returned back two days back, As soon as i go somewhere and turnoff the car, it starts making some buzz sound for a minute or so and this sound stops.

As soon as the car starts making this noise since then nothing works even keyfob or lights or anything. I have to jumpstart now. Its happening
intermittently not always.

12V Battery was replaced just 6 months Back.

Any help would be appreciated.

If the battery is not shot, you might try disconnecting the shunt wires that plug in at the negative battery terminal. When that is disconnected, the car in run mode keeps the voltage up at about 14V much longer than when it is plugged in.

raj1234 said:
I was out of town for a month and My 2015 Nissan Leaf was not used during this period.

Since i returned back two days back, As soon as i go somewhere and turnoff the car, it starts making some buzz sound for a minute or so and this sound stops.

As soon as the car starts making this noise since then nothing works even keyfob or lights or anything. I have to jumpstart now. Its happening

Not using the car for a month is a LONG time... It does not matter that you changed the battery 6 months ago.. You can discharge or destroy a battery in a week..

You need to get a battery charger for your 12v battery to keep it fully charged. All cars do. Every 2-3 weeks, plug the charger into the battery until it is fully charged.

You also need a battery tester to check the voltage of the battery when it is at rest. Then you will quickly tell if it needs to be charged.

PS - you can also just use a cheap multi-meter that you have around the house, and check the battery voltage at rest. That tells you the state of charge easily.

Here is a very good battery tester on amazon....

https://www.amazon.com/AUTOOL-BT-460-Auto-Battery-Tester/dp/B07PM5JMCF/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwNnjk73d5AIVTETTCh016gPyEAAYASAAEgIG0vD_BwE&hvadid=345549229390&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9004481&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=9236526936454980602&hvtargid=kwd-745465173751&hydadcr=7517_9880910&keywords=autool+bt-460+battery+tester&qid=1568916441&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExQjJKQU1QTVpRUzdBJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTI5MzkwM0dJMEU5U1FHWFpEMyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzc0MjM3MlVISU1FNTRTODdTVSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

raj1234 said:

What prep did you do for your one month storage on the car?

Did you leave it at 50% SOC "unplugged?" if not, you probably have a dead 12 volt battery. The fact that its new means you might be able to charge it up and it will last a little while but Lead Acid dies quite easily if not properly maintained...

You might want to consider purchasing a 12v jump start, lithium battery and keep it in your trunk - especially if you keep the same battery. Works great to keep all the mobile phones charged also!

https://www.amazon.com/RG1000-Safety-INTELLIBOOST-Flashlight-Charging/dp/B07HRYBZCR/ref=sr_1_26_sspa?keywords=12+volt+jump+start+lithium+battery+pack&qid=1568920623&s=electronics&smid=A38OXV6NWPEVPR&sr=1-26-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExUTBHMFBCVTc2UVcxJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDE4OTQwUFIwTEk3MDhMT1hLJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3NTc3OTIyRlhPN0lTNTZSQTYyJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmX25leHQmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

I have left my 2015 LeafS unplugged, outdoors, in Texas heat, for 5 weeks, for 4 consecutive years. Upon my return, car has started and run normally without issues. State of charge? Once was at 100%, 3 times 50-60%.

It DID require a new 12V battery in January of 2019, when I replaced the OEM battery with a Bosch AGM. When the battery failed, it actually failed to TURN OFF, made a buzzing sound (from the dash somewhere), and then totally failed...no lights of any kind. After replacement, the first start-up interesting, as the dash made several buzzes/clicks/whirrs...

Maybe this helps? You might have killed your 12V battery. If it's an OEM style battery, have you checked electrolyte levels?

The buzzing may be a relay that cannot do its job because of low 12V power. A healthy 12V battery will probably fix. You could try charging the battery but if it's so weak it is probably damaged.

I have left my 2015 LeafS unplugged, outdoors, in Texas heat, for 5 weeks, for 4 consecutive years. Upon my return, car has started and run normally without issues. State of charge? Once was at 100%, 3 times 50-60%.

Beginning in either 2014 or 2015, the 12 volt charging algorithm was improved. 12 volt battery issues are mainly found with pre-'14 Leafs.

LeftieBiker said:

Beginning in either 2014 or 2015, the 12 volt charging algorithm was improved. 12 volt battery issues are mainly found with pre-'14 Leafs.

Improved, yes. Rumor has it, system now kicks in every 48 hours to boost 12 volt as opposed to the previous 5 day intervals but the system is still not aware of 12 volt battery status so the 12 volt will still go dangerously low.

Twice I stumbled upon my car boosting my 12 volt (noticed because only center charging light flashes) after barely more than 24 hours of inactivity but voltage checks did not seem to indicate the shorter interval was due to a dangerously low voltage. I see 12.1 volts give or take all the time. Car still starts with that but its a bit too close for my tastes.

@raj

i have been troubleshooting a similar starting issue, and unless you have kept your 12-volt battery topped up with a battery tending device, it is bad and will need to be replaced to get the car running as it should.

There is a 12V battery discussion on this forum here: https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=22030#p462017

You may have searched for this info, but the search engine here ignores the word "battery".

Good Luck to you,
kenny

The Issue got resolved. The Issue was that there was a loose connection with the wire connecting to 12V battery, once that is fixed its working fine. Thank you all for taking your time in trying to help.

nlspace said:
@raj

i have been troubleshooting a similar starting issue, and unless you have kept your 12-volt battery topped up with a battery tending device, it is bad and will need to be replaced to get the car running as it should.

There is a 12V battery discussion on this forum here: https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=22030#p462017

You may have searched for this info, but the search engine here ignores the word "battery".

Good Luck to you,
kenny

I have no issues starting (knock on wood) but at the same time when the weather changes, I put my battery on a charger for a few hours every month or so. I don't do anything in Summer. I am lazy in that I don't disconnect battery from car. Connect red to pos terminal of battery and black to ground.

I probably should disconnect battery completely and run overnight charge on it...

DaveinOlyWA said:
nlspace said:

I have no issues starting (knock on wood) but at the same time when the weather changes, I put my battery on a charger for a few hours every month or so. I don't do anything in Summer. I am lazy in that I don't disconnect battery from car. Connect red to pos terminal of battery and black to ground.

I probably should disconnect battery completely and run overnight charge on it...

...or...attach leads to the battery, run the wire forward through the charge port, and plug in a BatteryTenderPlus periodically. Simple.

Even with periodic charging, my OEM 12V went bad after 4 years (TX heat). Hopefully the Bosch AGM will last longer, but who knows?

Single data point: 9 month old Bosch AGM, TX heat, car sat undriven for 5 weeks in July/Aug. Mostly short trips, always charging main battery to 100% overnight.

Just put the 12V on the BatteryTenderPlus (ambient 85f). It showed 80% charged after 1.5 hours, fully charged after 4 hours. This is MUCH better than the OEM, which consistantly took over 14 hours to fully charge.

YMMV.

gncndad said:
Single data point: 9 month old Bosch AGM, TX heat, car sat undriven for 5 weeks in July/Aug. Mostly short trips, always charging main battery to 100% overnight.

Just put the 12V on the BatteryTenderPlus (ambient 85f). It showed 80% charged after 1.5 hours, fully charged after 4 hours. This is MUCH better than the OEM, which consistantly took over 14 hours to fully charge.

YMMV.

One advantage of AGM is faster charge acceptance. The electrolyte is more highly concentrated, which gives the batery a lower internal resistance.

Nubo said:
One advantage of AGM is faster charge acceptance. The electrolyte is more highly concentrated, which gives the batery a lower internal resistance.

Thanks for the clarification. So,the quicker charge isn't necessarily an indication of battery integrity/health?

Just had OEM 12V battery replaced in our 2017 FusionEnergi (29k miles). They replaced it under CPO, with a normal lead acid 12v battery. After 4 weeks of daily use, including plenty of highway miles, BatteryTenderPlus took around 20 hours to reach a full charge.

Back