Click!Click!Click! New drive shaft?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bolts on front CV joints are often 'torque to yield' meaning they are tightened to the point that they deform. I don't know if this has anything to do with the recall or the problems folks are having with clicking, etc but is sounds like Nissan's manufacturing engineers need to figure out how to tighten up the quality control for this.

Anyone know how the Leaf's CV joints compare to other Nissan cars? Is it a unique design or ?? Seems like a silly problem for a company as large as Nissan to be having.

goldbrick said:
Bolts on front CV joints are often 'torque to yield' meaning they are tightened to the point that they deform. I don't know if this has anything to do with the recall or the problems folks are having with clicking, etc but is sounds like Nissan's manufacturing engineers need to figure out how to tighten up the quality control for this.

Anyone know how the Leaf's CV joints compare to other Nissan cars? Is it a unique design or ?? Seems like a silly problem for a company as large as Nissan to be having.

My guess is that it is not a unique design because when I googled the problem, other Nissan models came up.

So I have now left the dealership, and they put a new "nut" in the front end, sorry for not being too technical. I did not hear the clicking noise on the way home, so I am hopeful this solves the problem. Service writer told me there was a tech bulletin on this, and they knew of the problem meaning I was not the first to come in to the shop with this problem.

Dealer seemed to have solved the problem with replacing a nut and re-torquing the bolt, do not hear click click anymore.

Baltneu said:
Dealer seemed to have solved the problem with replacing a nut and re-torquing the bolt, do not hear click click anymore.

You mean, "re-torquing the NUT", right? Terminology is important.

So it has been about a week since the repair and all good.
Wanted to just list what was done and the parts for the community:

Technician verified noise from both front axles

Installed 402624GA0C Nut, Quantity 2
Installed 400730L700 Cotter Pin, Quantity 2
Technician removed both front axles and applied moly lube grease to the hub bearing surfaces. Road tested OK.

All done under warranty.

Interesting. I'm starting to notice a very faint click when I switch from forward to reverse motion but it is so subtle that I don't think it's a problem yet. It may be normal gear lash as it is very subtle. Ie, if I have the radio on or windows closed I will never hear it. Still, I'll keep my eye on it in case it gets worse.

I assume any Nissan dealer is on the hook to do warranty work or do I need to go back to the place where I bought it?

Baltneu said:
So it has been about a week since the repair and all good.
Wanted to just list what was done and the parts for the community:

Technician verified noise from both front axles

Installed 402624GA0C Nut, Quantity 2
Installed 400730L700 Cotter Pin, Quantity 2
Technician removed both front axles and applied moly lube grease to the hub bearing surfaces. Road tested OK.

All done under warranty.

I imagine the real fix was simply the grease and/or proper torque. If the hub lock nut was stripped you'd have had far more serious problems than clicking! The nut is always replaced if it is removed.

Good Morning,
My 2019 SV developed this symptom and the shop fixed it under warranty without a fuss.
They mentioned the service bulletin and explained what they did. They also mentioned the issue of the assembly tech missing the grease step.
Grease the drive shaft splines and re-torque the wheel nut. Car is quiet now
That, the Battery group tab recall and a state inspection took just a couple of hours.
For those that have this noise I would recommend getting it dealt with even if your car is out of warranty. I doubt it will be that expensive and bare metal banging on bare metal will wear eventually. Also if a wheel nut is loose that could cause an accident.

Nice to have a quiet car again.

Have a great day,
Greg

Does anyone have access to the Nissan information repository?

I have tried to access the document (https://eu.nissan.biz/nissanonline/productinformation/tbra1901.htm) but don't have a login... I have a dodgy photo of the tech procedure, however it's missing key torque limits.

Can anyone help?

Back