Porsche Taycan - A 300 mile EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For years Tesla fans tripped over themselves to remind us all how there was no competitor to Tesla. Now that there is, nothing but rationalizing about how it's not a real competitor. That's the smell of fear.

Reviews are gushing about this car. Me, I'll never own one. Too damn expensive ;)

I agree. Everything I've read about the car says it is just a fantastic car. In my experience Porsche is very conservative with their promises on performance, and I bet that it will beat all the stated specs which will make owners super happy. (under promise, over deliver) I'd love to own one, but sadly I too will likely never be able to afford one. This car is going to sell quite well. It will certainly be one of the highest volume cars that Porsche makes. It is going to change the way people think of an EV now that we have a real player in the game from an established automaker.

No disrespect to Nissan Leaf and Chevy Bolt, but they are really just toys. The technology is too new and the costs too high to make a truly great affordable car. We need these expensive cars to push the technology forward in order to lower the costs enough to make the affordable cars good. I'm now looking forward to spotting my first Taycan in the wild.

LeftieBiker said:
Suggestion: buy a ticket for the annual climate change raffle, and choose the cash option. Then buy a Taycan instead of the Tesla grand price. ;)

You'd be better off taking the Model X and then selling it to buy a Taycan. Prize is $137k payed to tesla and then 33% payed to IRS to cover taxes, or cash prize of $100k which ends up being closer to $70k after taxes. Pretty sure I can get more than $70k for a lightly used Model X. But then the least expensive Taycan is about $170k before tax and fees (with even the most basic options), so I'd still have to come up with about $50k to make the trade....still out of my price range. Bummer, but it was a good thought.

Look at the 9/28/2019 Wall Street Journal:

RUMBLE SEAT
Can Porsche Beat Tesla With Its New Taycan
EV?
With its breakneck speed and high-tech luxury, Porsche’s all-electric Taycan could spell doom for
internal-combustion engines, says Dan Neil. But it might not be the best EV on the market
If you were hoping the Swabians would rise up to punch Elon Musk in the nose, not a chance.
The Taycan Turbo and Turbo S get 237-280 miles combined range out of their 93.4 kWh battery
pack, according to the European WLTP. Tesla’s Model S Performance (95 kWH nominal) is rated
345 miles range. The Tesla is no bigger outside but more spacious inside; lighter by about 180
pounds (vs. Turbo S); quicker to 60 mph (2.4 seconds); and half the price.

palmermd said:
This car is going to sell quite well. It will certainly be one of the highest volume cars that Porsche makes.
You really think the latter?

Long ago, when Porsche first embarked on SUVs w/the Cayenne, the Porsche sports car purists weren't too happy that they were getting into that. Eventually (in the US), Cayennes outsold all other non-Cayennes combined.

From looking at the below, most of Porsche's unit sales come from SUVs, the above + Macan:
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/porsche-reports-us-retail-sales-for-august-300911895.html
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2019/company/porsche-annual-press-conference-2019-live-annual-sustainability-report-17218.html
https://www.motor1.com/news/300557/porsche-best-selling-models-2018/
For yet another year the most sold Porsche globally was the Macan with 86,031 vehicles followed closely by the Cayenne with 71,458 deliveries. Next is the Panamera which recorded the strongest growth year-over-year of 38 percent with 38,443 sales. Last but not least, the 911 also recorded double-digit rise - 35,573 sales or 10 percent more than 2017.

Wow. I never looked up the sales numbers on any individual cars from Porsche. I just assumed that none were over the 30000 Target for Taycan production.

Thanks for the information.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
For years Tesla fans tripped over themselves to remind us all how there was no competitor to Tesla. Now that there is, nothing but rationalizing about how it's not a real competitor. That's the smell of fear.

Reviews are gushing about this car. Me, I'll never own one. Too damn expensive ;)

Reviews also gush about the LEAF :lol:

"Competitor" is in the eye of the beholder but it should not take a Tesla fanboi to note high price, poor efficiency, and crappy charging network in the USA are pretty obvious negatives for the car. I think that the car will have a much better reception in Europe and I hope Porsche buyers find it an attractive choice.

Tesla remains the undisputed king of range and charging efficiency as range added per time. Oh, and performance in terms of acceleration. Why are you having trouble with the obvious ? Inferiority complex having a bad day ?

This table is from a Bjorn Nyland video published this week and shows Km of range added per time. I think Ionity was used for the faster charging cars; for the slow cars it does not matter. For obvious reasons the LEAF was not included.

uc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5jasmq1fYo at 13:18

Since I wouldn't be able to supercharge the Taycan when taking a trip to Mammoth Lakes, it would be a non-starter for me (in addition to the price). My used 2013 Tesla model S was $43,500 and still has 250 miles of range. I don't think there will be much competition in California.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Sounds like you have one of the better batteries from 2013. Many 13 S owners are now down to close to 200 miles of range.
What is "many" ?
What percentage, and please provide a reference

The 2012-2013 batteries had much higher rates of degradation then the newer batteries.

Tesloop has done a number of studies on there cars.

Bjorn was seeing about 4% annual degradation from 2015 videos. Both cases are admittedly high numbers of miles per year.

That said, many of the early cars report not more than a couple % a year or in total. Its all a bit interpretive as most studies are done on reported range in miles, and not battery capacity.

The new chemistry(s) seem to be much better...and yes much better than the Nissan batteries. Bolt batteries appear to be pretty good as well, though we still only have about 3 years data on them.

Stoaty said:
Since I wouldn't be able to supercharge the Taycan when taking a trip to Mammoth Lakes, it would be a non-starter for me (in addition to the price). My used 2013 Tesla model S was $43,500 and still has 250 miles of range. I don't think there will be much competition in California.

As Bishop is only 40 miles (and 3,700 ft. ) from Mammoth, and EA is building a QC site there as well as in Murrieta, Riverside, Hesperia, Mojave and Coso Junction (as well as the existing site in Ontario) , getting a Taycan to Mammoth from LA or San Diego won't be an issue once they're open. The sites have been on hold about two months, apparently awaiting transformers from the utility, but now that fire season is hopefully drawing to a close and the utility crews will be available again, things should pick up.

DougWantsALeaf said:
The 2012-2013 batteries had much higher rates of degradation then the newer batteries.
Tesloop has done a number of studies on there cars.

Bjorn was seeing about 4% annual degradation from 2015 videos. Both cases are admittedly high numbers of miles per year.
Two anecdotes does not a declarative statement about the entire fleet make.
Look up the database of a couple thousand cars

GRA said:
As Bishop is only 40 miles (and 3,700 ft. ) from Mammoth, and EA is building a QC site there as well as in Murrieta, Riverside, Hesperia, Mojave and Coso Junction (as well as the existing site in Ontario) , getting a Taycan to Mammoth from LA or San Diego won't be an issue once they're open.

True, but it would still be a problem using Mammoth as a home base for day hikes for 5-6 days, which I did recently. Some of our drives were up to an hour each way, no problem filling up in Mammoth at the supercharger. Did another recent trip for day hikes with Bishop as our home base, which worked out only because we were staying at a hotel with L1 charging. I was able to get about 50 miles a night and had no problem driving up to 9,000 or 10,000 feet and back down. There aren't any Tesla destination chargers in Bishop, and the planned supercharging station doesn't seem to be going anywhere. There are a couple of places that have 220 volt charging, but these are RV places and I think you would have to stay there to get a charge.

Back