Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wmcbrine said:
It's an interesting question why public charging stations break down so often...
I agree. I find that often they just need a reset, though that sometimes has to come from the network operator (i.e. I call the help line, ask them to reset it, and lo and behold it behaves again). That sounds like imperfect software testing to me.

But also they are often out in the weather, often with members of the public walking past them. The temptation to fiddle with them must be overwhelming for some, and as you say, to vandalise them for (hopefully) a few. I wonder what the average MAGA-hat wearing redneck thinks of these new fangled things that seem to be used by mostly well-to-do elite types.

In Australia, the emergency stop buttons (if even present) are well recessed, and some are even behind glass. They might be like a magnet for "tough kids" showing off.

I think some of the break downs is vandalism. Yakima EA is having major issues. There appears to be a concerted effort to prevent anyone from charging there.

Transformer Installed at EA's Bakersfield Station

Sometime in the past week PG&E has installed the transformer for the Electrify America station in Bakersfield, California.

RTEmagicC_20190915-EA-Bakersfield-01-cropped.jpg.jpg

The four-kiosk station has stood nearly complete--less the transformer--for months at Panera Bread.

The station remains offline and the protective plastic wrap, what remains of it, is still on the equipment and cables.

EA's transformer finally installed by PG&E at Panera Bread in Bakersfield, CA.

EA's bakersfield station's four kiosks can serve vehicles with CCS connectors for fast charging. One of the kiosks serves a dual role, charging either CCS cars or those using the CHAdeMO standard, such as the Nissan Leaf.

Ollie Danner, a local EV entrepreneur, said at this Saturday's Drive Electric event in Bakersfield that he'd followed a PG&E truck with the transformer into town to the Panera Bread site.

Drivers using the CHAdeMO DCFC standard should note that the CHAdeMO kiosk also has a CCS cable. If a CCS capable car is charging at the kiosk, the CHAdeMO cable won't be enabled and you'll have to wait until the other vehicle finishes charging.

RTEmagicC_20190915-EA_Bakersfield-05-cropped.jpg.jpg

Dual head kiosk with CCS and CHAdeMO cables at the EA station in Bakersfield, CA.

Two sites have opened, making 7 for the month and 292 total: Pecos, TX (Jct. I-20 ex. 42/U.S. 285); Ypsilanti, MI (Jct. I-94 ex. 181/A/B & U.S. 12).

Pecos closes the last major gap on I-20 west of DFW, shortening the 183 mile leg between Midland and Van Horn to two legs of 94 and 88 miles.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL (Jct. I-95 ex. 26/27 & S.R. 842) is open, #9 for the month and #294 total. Davie and SW Ranches are in the same general area, but this is right off I-95. Open on 9/13, but I missed it for a while after EA switched over to the new map, which makes me scan through the entire list to I.D. any new sites.

Fresno, CA #2 (S.R. 41 ex. 134) is open as of 9/19, #10 for the month, #295 total (and #30 for California).

This is just off the main route into Yosemite from the south, so it should see a fair amount of use.

Newburgh, NY is open (woot!). This is at a critical intersection of I-87 and I-84. It will serve travelers in both N/S and E/W directions. It is a little redundant with Greenlots chargers for I-87 travelers, but EA so far has a much better track record for availability and maintenance than Greenlots.

^^^ Glad you caught that, because I missed it in my daily skimming of the list as my brain started to glaze over. Newburgh is #11 for the month, #296 total. This one's definitely in a needed location.

GetOffYourGas said:
Newburgh, NY is open (woot!). This is at a critical intersection of I-87 and I-84. It will serve travelers in both N/S and E/W directions. It is a little redundant with Greenlots chargers for I-87 travelers, but EA so far has a much better track record for availability and maintenance than Greenlots.

Around here they would be a LOT cheaper than Greenlots as well.

GRA said:
^^^ Glad you caught that, because I missed it in my daily skimming of the list as my brain started to glaze over. Newburgh is #11 for the month, #296 total. This one's definitely in a needed location.

Well, I "caught" it because I signed up to be alerted when it goes online. Newburgh is high on my list of desirable EA stations. In fact, it rounds out the list for those I care most about (for personal use) out of all of the Cycle I locations. Now to get on that Cycle 2 corridor of Syracuse-to-Philly...

DaveinOlyWA said:
GetOffYourGas said:
<span>Newburgh, NY is open (woot!). This is at a critical intersection of I-87 and I-84. It will serve travelers in both N/S and E/W directions. It is a little redundant with Greenlots <a href="http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=electric%20vehicle%20charger&tag=myelecarfor-20" class="interlinkr" target="_blank">charger</a>s for I-87 travelers, but EA so far has a much better track record for availability and maintenance than Greenlots.</span>

Greenlots' chargers on I-87 are a flat session fee of $8. As far as I know, there is no enforcement of a session limit, so how cheap/expensive they are depends entirely on how long you linger. IMO, this is a terrible pricing model. I have to pay, but once I do, I am encouraged to hog the charger for as long as possible, even if that means well into the taper while others wait in line behind me. I hope they change the pricing once they finish upgrading all of the service plazas to 4x 150kW charging stations (if NY ever follows through on their EvolveNY plans).

GetOffYourGas said:
Greenlots' chargers on I-87 are a flat session fee of $8. As far as I know, there is no enforcement of a session limit, so how cheap/expensive they are depends entirely on how long you linger. IMO, this is a terrible pricing model.

$8 for a full etron charge is a deal. Might get as cheap as $0.10/kWh.

GetOffYourGas said:
GRA said:

Well, I "caught" it because I signed up to be alerted when it goes online. Newburgh is high on my list of desirable EA stations. In fact, it rounds out the list for those I care most about (for personal use) out of all of the Cycle I locations. Now to get on that Cycle 2 corridor of Syracuse-to-Philly...

DaveinOlyWA said:
GetOffYourGas said:
<span>Newburgh, NY is open (woot!). This is at a critical intersection of I-87 and I-84. It will serve travelers in both N/S and E/W directions. It is a little redundant with Greenlots <a href="http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=electric%20vehicle%20charger&tag=myelecarfor-20" class="interlinkr" target="_blank">charger</a>s for I-87 travelers, but EA so far has a much better track record for availability and maintenance than Greenlots.</span>

Greenlots' chargers on I-87 are a flat session fee of $8. As far as I know, there is no enforcement of a session limit, so how cheap/expensive they are depends entirely on how long you linger. IMO, this is a terrible pricing model. I have to pay, but once I do, I am encouraged to hog the charger for as long as possible, even if that means well into the taper while others wait in line behind me. I hope they change the pricing once they finish upgrading all of the service plazas to 4x 150kW charging stations (if NY ever follows through on their EvolveNY plans).

That would be a bargain here. Prices vary but Central WA (home of THE cheapest power in the nation) has session fees of $5.95 and 35 cents per minute...

It only gets slightly better from there.

GetOffYourGas said:
GRA said:

DaveinOlyWA said:
GetOffYourGas said:

That would be a bargain here. Prices vary but Central WA (home of THE cheapest power in the nation) has session fees of $5.95 and 35 cents per minute...

It only gets slightly better from there.

GetOffYourGas said:
GRA said:

Anyone who has the app, please post any openings if you don't see me do so. It's getting easier and easier for me to miss them as the numbers increase and the site makes it harder and more tedious to detect them by eye.

GRA said:
GetOffYourGas said:
GRA said:

Anyone who has the app, please post any openings if you don't see me do so. It's getting easier and easier for me to miss them as the numbers increase and the site makes it harder and more tedious to detect them by eye.

TBH; I don't know why you put in the effort.

WetEV said:
GetOffYourGas said:
Greenlots' chargers on I-87 are a flat session fee of $8. As far as I know, there is no enforcement of a session limit, so how cheap/expensive they are depends entirely on how long you linger. IMO, this is a terrible pricing model.

Buy an e-tron for ~ $80k
Arrive at a charger with 0% SoC (I hear that they are not that hard to push down the road.)
Stay an hour.

Yep -- no problem.

SageBrush said:
WetEV said:
GetOffYourGas said:

Buy an e-tron for ~ $80k
Or buy a Tesla X for $140k. Get even a cheaper electric rate, along with the ridiculous gull wing doors.

Would need to stay longer, as I think most Greenlot chargers are 50kW. Two hours, ignoring the Tesla X's taper.

WetEV said:
SageBrush said:
WetEV said:

Buy an e-tron for ~ $80k
Or buy a Tesla X for $140k. Get even a cheaper electric rate, along with the ridiculous gull wing doors.

Would need to stay longer, as I think most Greenlot chargers are 50kW. Two hours, ignoring the Tesla X's taper.

These particular chargers are 120A, FWIW

Back