Condensation on windows/windshield

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a way to greatly lessen if not completely stop my windows and windshield from getting condensation both in summer and winter months. I simply placed a DAMPRID container in the rear of the LEAF - behind the rear seat in the hatch area. I pulled in the moisture like it does in a closet with high humidity. I find it best to replace it every couple months. This has worked well for me in high humidity and hopefully works as well in the winter months which will cut down on having to use the defrost.

I'm surprised it would make much a difference in a car where the air is being constantly circulated. I mean I can see it in a closet where the air is pretty stagnant but it's the opposite in a car. I've found in the winter what really helps is to frequently use a wet vac to suck out all the standing water from my weather tech floor mats as the snow melts, before doing that I was frequently getting foggy windows when I had standing water in the car.

Well, here in Indiana, it gets pretty HUMID. So, even with recirculate fully on, there is ambient moisture in the air of your LEAF. You can, of sourse, use defrost nearly continually, in the mornings and at night when the temps are different outside than the temps in the car (and we often have to in both my 2015 SV and my wife's 2018 SL). Having a small container of DAMPRID in the car simply removes moisture from the trapped air in the car while it sits overnight - reducing your need to use defrost as often and as long.

In the Pacific Northwest where I am, fogged up windows is a way of life unless you do something about it. I have a portable dehumidifier that gets cycled though our vehicles on a regular basis. I sucks the excess moisture out of the mats, carpets etc. with out it we would have to wait until August to dry our cars out.

Living in the Pacific Northwest it is nearly always raining or misting. I was surprised at how much moisture there is in my Leaf. Not sure if it the design or just a factor of being an EV in the PNW. I hung a DAMPRID pouch from the child carseat restraint in the back and it made a huge difference so far.

Back