SageBrush
Posts: 4907
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: How much of a Discount Should I be Able to Get on an Ordered Leaf?

Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:32 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:03 pm
It's surprising to me that Tesla can't seem to grasp that comfort matters as well, and is a deciding factor for many, many people. If they offered a "comfort" option package, with steering wheel warmer along with the seat warmers, and adjustable suspension that could be set for a soft ride, and front seats that swiveled to ease entry and exit, their Model 3 sales would take off again. As it is they are ceding the entire Toyota/Buick/Renault market to the Leaf and similar cars.
I didn't know that the LEAF (or Toyota for that matter) has front seats that swivel or have an adjustable suspension.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 13448
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: How much of a Discount Should I be Able to Get on an Ordered Leaf?

Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:55 pm

SageBrush wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:32 pm
LeftieBiker wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:03 pm
It's surprising to me that Tesla can't seem to grasp that comfort matters as well, and is a deciding factor for many, many people. If they offered a "comfort" option package, with steering wheel warmer along with the seat warmers, and adjustable suspension that could be set for a soft ride, and front seats that swiveled to ease entry and exit, their Model 3 sales would take off again. As it is they are ceding the entire Toyota/Buick/Renault market to the Leaf and similar cars.
I didn't know that the LEAF (or Toyota for that matter) has front seats that swivel or have an adjustable suspension.

Nope. They are easy to enter and exit without them, and have suspensions that are comfortable by default.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Jerryr
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 8:18 am
Delivery Date: 12 May 2019
Leaf Number: 310009
Location: Bradenton, Florida

Re: How much of a Discount Should I be Able to Get on an Ordered Leaf?

Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:05 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:55 pm
SageBrush wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:32 pm
LeftieBiker wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:03 pm
It's surprising to me that Tesla can't seem to grasp that comfort matters as well, and is a deciding factor for many, many people. If they offered a "comfort" option package, with steering wheel warmer along with the seat warmers, and adjustable suspension that could be set for a soft ride, and front seats that swiveled to ease entry and exit, their Model 3 sales would take off again. As it is they are ceding the entire Toyota/Buick/Renault market to the Leaf and similar cars.
I didn't know that the LEAF (or Toyota for that matter) has front seats that swivel or have an adjustable suspension.

Nope. They are easy to enter and exit without them, and have suspensions that are comfortable by default.
I agree. We seriously considered the Model 3. Even had $1,000 deposit on one. BUT when I test drove it, getting in and out reminded me of my previous Corvette.

I can’t get into a M3 without hurting my neck. I’m on my 3rd Leaf and it’s SO Easy to get in and out of it.

I am debt free and I can afford any car I want. I choose to own a Leaf SL Plus.
2019 SL Plus 5/19- current
2018 SV w/tech and All Weather pkg 5/18-4/19 (traded)
2015 SL 4/15-5/18 (traded)
2019 Ford F-350 Lariat Ultimate CCSB SRW Diesel
2015 Lexus RX450h
2017 Grand Design RV 337RLS 5th wheel

SageBrush
Posts: 4907
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: How much of a Discount Should I be Able to Get on an Ordered Leaf?

Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:07 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:55 pm
SageBrush wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:32 pm
LeftieBiker wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:03 pm
It's surprising to me that Tesla can't seem to grasp that comfort matters as well, and is a deciding factor for many, many people. If they offered a "comfort" option package, with steering wheel warmer along with the seat warmers, and adjustable suspension that could be set for a soft ride, and front seats that swiveled to ease entry and exit, their Model 3 sales would take off again. As it is they are ceding the entire Toyota/Buick/Renault market to the Leaf and similar cars.
I didn't know that the LEAF (or Toyota for that matter) has front seats that swivel or have an adjustable suspension.
Nope. They are easy to enter and exit without them, and have suspensions that are comfortable by default.
Then your earlier conclusion is uncertain at best. Tesla *could* add those features at extra cost .... and lose customers as a result; or build a boat-ish car to suit your tastes ... and lose customers who do not want to drive a buick.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

countryleaf
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:58 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2011
Leaf Number: 316573
Location: West Puget Sound, WA

Re: How much of a Discount Should I be Able to Get on an Ordered Leaf?

Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:09 pm

danrjones wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:45 am
SageBrush wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:01 am
countryleaf wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:23 pm
the MSRP is $44,630
My thought ? Buy a Tesla at that price. A LEAF is worth half
I actually would agree with Sage, if you are basically paying full price for a leaf plus, you might as well get a entry level model 3 with a few options. Unless you can't stand the interior or the sedan style, in which case I'd try and get an e-niro EV for about the same price as the leaf.

I think what makes the Nissan Leaf attractive is its value, but if you are paying full price, its not a value anymore. But as always, YMMV, and if you love the Leaf, then that's a factor too.
We do have a Sales Tax rebate here in Washington State for EV's. The rebate is for EV's that cost less than $45K and is for the first $25K. So, for where I live, the sales tax rate is 9%, which is a $2,250 rebate. Then there is the $7,500 federal tax credit too. We have looked at the Tesla and the Kia and are going to stick with the Leaf. But thank you for the thoughts and opinions.
2019 Leaf SL Plus, Scarlet Ember Tintcoat, picked up on 30 September 2019
JuiceBox Pro 40 Amp EVSE Charger
----------
2011 Red Leaf, bought new in 12/2011, sold 5/28/19, 67,XXX miles, 10 of 12 battery bars
Blink L2 Charger (replaced)

cwerdna
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: How much of a Discount Should I be Able to Get on an Ordered Leaf?

Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:15 pm

cwerdna wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:13 am
countryleaf wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:23 pm
We have a Leaf on order (2019 SL Plus) that should be arriving within the first two weeks of October. The dealer is telling us that the MSRP is $44,630 and if we finance through Nissan, there is a $1,000 discount. Other dealers in the area are discounting ("Dealer discount") Leaf's another $2,900 (same model, similar options, different color). Do we have any hope of getting more discounts? Thank you for your thoughts.
That sounds pretty high. Since you're in WA, any chance of you trying out dealers in King or Pierce counties? I lived in WA state for over 9 years.

For reference (this might not help you that much), 238 mile EPA rated Bolts are heavily discounted here in CA: https://www.concordchevrolet.com/Vehicl ... rice%7Casc. Tax credit on GM EVs/PHEVs is only $3750 (vs. $7500 for Nissans) and that's until end of this month. On 10/1/19, it goes to $1875 on GM EVs/PHEVs. Unfortunately, choice of colors is slim since I'm pretty sure production ended on '19 Bolts and GM's on strike now anyway. 2020 Bolt will have 259 mile EPA range rating.
The dealer I bought my Bolt from seems to have gotten an infusion of LT trims: https://www.chevroletoffremont.com/Vehi ... rice%7Casc.

I currently see 20 LT and 41 Premier there. At one point, I think they had under 10 LT's, possibly 1 or 0. I'm no fan of black (wouldn't buy a car that color), but I currently see a MSRP $38,900 LT with DC FC inlet for $29,400 before $3750 Federal tax credit. Obviously, this is modestly equipped vs. a '19 Leaf SL Plus. You'd want to compare Premier trims with more equipment to be closer but keeping in mind Bolt doesn't have certain features at all like adaptive cruise control, ProPilot equivalent nor nav system. You either use CarPlay, Android Auto or you can get some turn-by-turn directions via OnStar (have to pay for subscription for that. I use Waze, Google Maps and Apple Maps via CarPlay.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Astros
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:21 am
Delivery Date: 28 Apr 2018
Leaf Number: 310136
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: How much of a Discount Should I be Able to Get on an Ordered Leaf?

Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:40 am

countryleaf wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:23 pm
We have a Leaf on order (2019 SL Plus) that should be arriving within the first two weeks of October. The dealer is telling us that the MSRP is $44,630 and if we finance through Nissan, there is a $1,000 discount. Other dealers in the area are discounting ("Dealer discount") Leaf's another $2,900 (same model, similar options, different color). Do we have any hope of getting more discounts? Thank you for your thoughts.
It's often hard to get a big discount on a car on order, but if you are in the Puget Sound region Campbell Nissan in Everett has a red SL Plus in stock, and they are asking for less than that. You should be able to talk them down further, since until last week they wanted only ~$41,600 for it. Also, ask about the Nissan VPP (Vehicle Purchase Program) which gives you a sizable discount if you work for one of many employers. That discount comes from Nissan and not the dealership, so I have been able to get it on top of any dealer discounts in the past.
2019 Deep Blue SL Plus

cwerdna
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: How much of a Discount Should I be Able to Get on an Ordered Leaf?

Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:50 am

For VPP, the site is https://www.insidenissan.com/home_nis.psp. Sadly, when I last checked, my employer isn't on the list/eligible. Long ago, I did work for one that was.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Astros
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:21 am
Delivery Date: 28 Apr 2018
Leaf Number: 310136
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: How much of a Discount Should I be Able to Get on an Ordered Leaf?

Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:03 am

cwerdna wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:50 am
For VPP, the site is https://www.insidenissan.com/home_nis.psp. Sadly, when I last checked, my employer isn't on the list/eligible. Long ago, I did work for one that was.
Thanks for posting the link. I would make sure to ask the dealership about it, because the VPP website doesn't seem to think my employer is part of the program, but I'm pretty sure it still is. At least, I was able to use it back in March when I bought my Leaf.
2019 Deep Blue SL Plus

HerdingElectrons
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:20 pm
Delivery Date: 17 Sep 2018
Location: Central Coast, Ca

Re: How much of a Discount Should I be Able to Get on an Ordered Leaf?

Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:52 pm

countryleaf wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:23 pm
We have a Leaf on order (2019 SL Plus) that should be arriving within the first two weeks of October. The dealer is telling us that the MSRP is $44,630 and if we finance through Nissan, there is a $1,000 discount. Other dealers in the area are discounting ("Dealer discount") Leaf's another $2,900 (same model, similar options, different color). Do we have any hope of getting more discounts? Thank you for your thoughts.

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_u ... e68e25c223

Alternatively I can give you the contact info from the Oakland area dealership & for $15 & 18 hours of your life saves thousands!
2018 SL Pearl White 4.2/3.7 Warm/Cold weather

09/18, 01K mi: AHr= 114.52 / SOH= 99.20 / HX= 099.70%
04/19, 10K mi: Ahr= 111.45 / SOH= 96.54 / HX= 113.82%
11/19, 20K mi: Ahr= 107.44 / SOH= 93.07 / HX= 109.96%

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”