Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WetEV said:
SageBrush said:
WetEV said:
$8 for a full etron charge is a deal. Might get as cheap as $0.10/kWh.

Buy an e-tron for ~ $80k
Or buy a Tesla X for $140k. Get even a cheaper electric rate, along with the ridiculous gull wing doors.

Would need to stay longer, as I think most Greenlot chargers are 50kW. Two hours, ignoring the Tesla X's taper.

My Tesla -- $40k
As for Greenlots -- be my guest with an Etron
I'll spend 10 minutes at a Supercharger and pay 10 - 15 cents a kWh

DaveinOlyWA said:
GRA said:
Anyone who has the app, please post any openings if you don't see me do so. It's getting easier and easier for me to miss them as the numbers increase and the site makes it harder and more tedious to detect them by eye.

TBH; I don't know why you put in the effort.

Because I want to make sure it's being tracked. Once we get the national network initially complete I won't bother anymore, except when it's a site of particular interest to me, as I did with Tesla's SCs. For now, I-5/8/10/15/70/80/95 remain incomplete, and any transportation mode without its supporting infrastructure is crippled, as Tesla realized before they started to build SCs.

WetEV said:
SageBrush said:
My Tesla -- $40k

So? Both wife and I can't sit in it. Wheelchair would be a pain as well. Could cost $4 and take electric power at 1 cent per MWh and I couldn't use one.
If I had known this thread was about you I would not have bothered posting.

Both the posts before the disagreement were perfectly valid. If we can keep it to one dissenting post from each of us who disagree with each other, the thread can keep moving.

Two sites are open, making 13 for the month and 298 total: La Crescenta, CA (Urb. I-210 ex. 17); Auburn, MA (I-290 ex. 9, NE of JCT. I-90/290 on S.R. 12).

Auburn connects Waterford, CT (108 miles) with Boston via I-91/I-84/I-90, rather than taking I-95 the whole way. it also allows Boston to be bypassed by I-290/495 when traveling to New Hampshire/Maine and CT.

I stopped at the Mojave EA charger on Sunday afternoon - took a few minutes to find it, it is tucked in behind a hotel. It looks like it is close to complete. I took some photos and plan to post them on the Plug share site when I have time, and then I can share them here.

Anyway it all looks done (to me), they have at least some parts of the transformers installed as well, or maybe its a battery enclosure. They have a walled off area and I jumped up and got a photo over the wall. Inside there are multiple units installed but a few spots with pipes sticking up out of the ground with nothing installed, so I'm not sure if those are to-do or for future expansion.

In addition to the two sites, both urban, that WetEV mentions above, two more sites are also open, making 17 for the month and 302 total: Woodbury, MA (Jct. I-94 ex. 251/CTY. Rt. 19); Clarion, PA (Jct. I-80 ex. 62/S.R. 68).

Woodbury was the only site planned for MN, which along with the recently opened site in Rhode Island makes 40 states with EA QCs, with only two more states to be added, NH (Seabrook) and ME (Scarborough). Those states not scheduled for sites are AK, HI, WY, ND, SD, AL, WV, VT .

Re Mojave, Dan, there'as a whole bunch of CA sites that are complete except for transformers. That will usually be located outside the enclosure you describe, on a concrete pad surrounded by vertical steel pole bollards to protect it, and the pad will often have some several inch diameter round holes on the top of it lined with plastic flexible conduit for the wiring once the transformer's installed. The pad may also have a bare ground wire coiled up on it as well.

Sorry for the delay. Photos to follow. So what is in the enclosure - batteries? Why enclose batteries but leave a transformer on a pad for everyone to climb on? Per the photos you seem 100% correct. Still some plumbing sticking up in the enclosure as well.

485189.jpg

485190.jpg

danrjones said:
So what is in the enclosure - batteries?
I believe it's the "rectifier" unit. Some details in this post about an Australian installation:

https://www.drivezero.com.au/charging/whats-involved-in-the-construction-of-an-ultra-rapid-electric-car-charging-station/

BTW, the Maverick solar panel system is interesting as well.

My guess is that the "rectifier" unit contains three boost converters (one for each phase) that provides the 1000 VDC needed for the actual chargers (which would be buck converters). I'd say the thee large orange things at the bottom are the three boost inductors. Though they seem to be 50 Hz inductors (they would be 60 Hz in North America, of course). I suppose it could be a mains frequency three-phase transformer.

I further guess that these aren't installed yet; they're caged merely to prevent some cowboy from stealing them and selling them for scrap copper. They'd have to be enterprising cowboys to lift those things, but still...

I was going to say that the ABB two box system makes the Tritium ultra fast chargers look very compact in comparison (also 350 kW, with some models higher power than that). But on chasing up a link, it looks like they might also have a separate box (perhaps a bit smaller, it's hard to tell from the promotional photos) that lives behind the scenes. Who'd have thought it - a measly 350 kW power converter needs all that hardware? :shock:

[ Edit: indeed, the Tritium 350 kW chargers also have a separate "power unit". PDF brochure here. Also see the image below. ]

I don't see a lot of Tritium fast or ultra fast chargers in the US, even though they have a manufacturing facility in Torrance, CA (headquarters is in Brisbane, Australia; fast chargers are one of our very few high tech exports).

PS - the inability to insert UTF-8 characters (e.g. for thin no-break spaces) on this forum is rather irritating.

ProductfeautureBox3_1000x1000.png

WetEV said:
Now open:

6401 W. Marana Center Blvd
Tucson, AZ 85742

^^^#1 for the month, #303 total. This shortens the 111 mile leg between Casa Grande and Benson to two legs of 52 and 60 miles, but I suspect its main value will be when EA builds a site between Casa Grande and Yuma, probably in Gila Bend.

WetEV said:
One today.

5104 Commons Drive
Rocklin, CA 95677

Yup, #2 for the month, #304 total. Rocklin (I-80 ex. 109) is 15 miles east of the QC site in N. Highlands (I-80 ex. 94) and better spaced for a first stop for most people heading up to North Tahoe from the Bay Area (I-80's exit #1 is in downtown S.F.), and closer to the start of the steeper grade up to Donner Pass on I-80, so this site and the "Coming Soon" one in Truckee will be valuable, although there are plenty of Drive the Arc sites along the route so the EA ones mainly add capacity, and offer higher charging speeds for those cars that can benefit.

As it is, this site is 115 miles from the next open EA site in Sparks, NV, although you have a 6,800 foot climb to Donner summit and a net elevation gain of about 4,100 feet to Sparks, so 200 mile BEVs charged to 80% may, depending on conditions, have to use some of their reserve.
Until I-80 is completed across Nevada to SLC this is sort of a moot point.

The Truckee site will eliminate any worries about getting to Sparks, although the existing EVgo 50kW chargers in Truckee are at the same location (Save Mart, I-80 exit 185) so no real issues other than reduced charging speed.

Indio, CA (I-10 ex. 142) is open, #3 for the month and #305 total.

As it's 219 miles via I-10 to Buckeye, AZ, at least one infill site will be needed. Although there aren't any shown yet as "Coming Soon", it will presumably be in Blythe (ca. 101 miles), Quartzsite (121) or possibly but unlikely, Ehrenberg (103).

Back