AV EVSE ... not silent anymore

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since its operation changed, at least talk with AV's tech person, and describe the before and after as best you can.

They might WANT to send you a swap-out unit, just to learn what happened to yours.

Ok ... that does sound like the contactor humming. A longer video/audio version would help (30-60 seconds) to see if it varies. I would not call this critical at the moment, but it should not be doing this on such a new unit. Swap out is recommended soon. And Gary is right ... AV should be interested in analyzing this issue.

i think its nothing, but if it bothers you, push the issue.

personally i think its your hearing that has been "re-tuned" to your new quieter environment and sounds previously drowned out by the valve clatter of your "smoker" are now being noticed

PDXLeafguy,
I can hear a fan running near the front of the LEAF when charging. I haven't paid close enough attention to see if it is a different speed for L1 vs. L2...

Gudy, If you have an SPL meter checkout the level at 1 meter. That may be listed somewhere in the specs.

gudy said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZeJK4K0D5Y[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqgNrj6oEdc[/youtube]

Just kidding. But you will notice the sound is similar -- 60Hz, the normal frequency of AC current.

The noise went down since.
I got a follow up call from AV to re-assure me that the noise was not a sign of a problem, and could happen during normal operation.
We agreed that if it wasn't getting worse we would leave it at that, but they offered to send someone over (at their charge) if I really wanted.
This last week, The unit has been completely silent.
Also he said that when I hear the noise, I should try tapping on the unit and see if that makes the noise go away.

Probably 120 Hz noise from the power supply transformer that is mounted on the large circuit board (that is mounted right behind the front face of the EVSE). If so, you should always hear it (when the EVSE has power) by putting your ear right up against the front of the EVSE.

Assuming it is the transformer hum, some mechanical coupling between the circuit board and the front face probably causes the front face to act as a "drum", resonating and amplifying the "hum".

Strange that the noise would be intermittent unless you are occasionally flexing the front cover, by touching or pressing it, or by pressing a button.

Perhaps one of the heavy e-hose wires connected inside was "squashed" back inside when the front face was mounted, so a little flexing of the e-hose causes that "strong" wire to press harder against the backside of the circuit board, flexing it toward the front-face "drum".

Wiggle the e-hose near its connection point to the EVSE and see if you can make the "loud" noise come and go.

The louder noise would annoy me, so I would have to "fix" it.

more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_hum

Particularly fascinating is the forensics aspect

Hello,
Don't have a Leaf to plug my evse into BUT, that sounds like the contactor to me. It probably reacts thermally in how the plate is held to the electromagnet pole. As it is expanding / contracting the hinged side is being held with a slight gap causing the buzz. It will change with wear of the pivot and temperature. Just guessing of course. ;)

Back