Update on Battery Warranty Enhancement for 2011 & 2012 LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greenleaf512 said:
Is this a real letter? South Nissan of Austin has never heard of a software enhancement for nissan leafs. They want to charge me for this.
please anyone verify.
Yes, it's real. What year of Leaf do you have?

From looking at https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/693/, it looks to be coveredby NTB13-061. The letter's at the end. I found a copy of the TSB at https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2013/SB-10052321-6209.pdf that doesn't require signing into NissanHelp.

Greenleaf512 said:
I have a 2011
Greenleaf512 said:
The service guy copped an attitude and said bring him the letter from nissan. Can you send me a copy of the letter?
See last few page of https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2013/SB-10052321-6209.pdf. I also found another copy at https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2013/CSC-10052321-8586.pdf.

It's not really going to make a difference at this point if you can't get it applied. You are well past capacity warranty. If you can get it done for free, sure. If not, so what?

There is an 877 number to call. Perhaps call them and see if it's been applied to your vehicle? If not, tell them that the dealer's giving you the run around and ask if they can convince this problem dealer.

Thanks for the reminder about that! (I never had an '11 or '12.)

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=334028#p334028

And yes, the TSB I pointed to says P3227 right on the first page.

The P3227 update greatly improved the accuracy of the CAN Bus data that LEAF Spy reads and the dash displays such as the SOC bar graph and DTE (distance to empty aka GOM for guess-O-meter) on my 2011. It did not change actual range or regeneration (which was already reduced due to increased internal resistance of the original battery). Regeneration was restored when Nissan installed a new battery long before the Klee class action lawsuit was finalized. Based upon my experience, I highly recommend the software update if you can get it for free or minimal cost.

GerryAZ said:
The P3227 update greatly improved the accuracy of the CAN Bus data that LEAF Spy reads and the dash displays such as the SOC bar graph and DTE (distance to empty aka GOM for guess-O-meter) on my 2011. It did not change actual range or regeneration (which was already reduced due to increased internal resistance of the original battery). Regeneration was restored when Nissan installed a new battery long before the Klee class action lawsuit was finalized. Based upon my experience, I highly recommend the software update if you can get it for free or minimal cost.

I suspect that your hot climate protected you from the negative effects on regeneration of the update. Those in colder climates have reported very poor regen (probably when the pack was cold) after the update, where it had not been bad before...

LeftieBiker said:
GerryAZ said:

I suspect that your hot climate protected you from the negative effects on regeneration of the update. Those in colder climates have reported very poor regen (probably when the pack was cold) after the update, where it had not been bad before...

My regeneration was greatly reduced in cool weather long before the software update. I purchased the car in June 2011; capacity dropped to 10 bars in June or July 2012; regeneration dropped when ambient temperatures dropped in November 2012 and partially came back when temperatures warmed up in spring 2013; capacity dropped to 8 bars early in the summer of 2013; and Nissan EV Customer Service called to request that I take the car to the dealer for testing so they could initiate the battery replacement process. The software update was performed while the car was at the dealer for battery testing. I saw no change in the limited level of regeneration available or actual battery capacity and usable range after the update, but the SOC bar graph was much more linear and consistent throughout the discharge cycle and the DTE displayed remaining miles more accurately than before (and more accurate than the 2015). The data from the CAN Bus which is read by Leaf Spy was also more linear and consistent throughout the charge/discharge cycle than before the update.

Since charge rate and maximum regeneration are limited to avoid overvoltage of any cell pair, it is likely that the software changed some thresholds and may have changed allowable regeneration on cars with less battery deterioration than mine. Full regeneration and fast DCQC charge rates were available regardless of ambient temperature after Nissan replaced the battery in October 2013 until the car met its demise in January 2015 with 11 capacity bars remaining on the replacement battery so I saw no negative impact from the update. I really appreciated the improved accuracy of the instrumentation after the update.

GerryAZ said:
LeftieBiker said:
GerryAZ said:

My regeneration was greatly reduced in cool weather long before the software update. I purchased the car in June 2011; capacity dropped to 10 bars in June or July 2012; regeneration dropped when ambient temperatures dropped in November 2012 and partially came back when temperatures warmed up in spring 2013; capacity dropped to 8 bars early in the summer of 2013; and Nissan EV Customer Service called to request that I take the car to the dealer for testing so they could initiate the battery replacement process. The software update was performed while the car was at the dealer for battery testing. I saw no change in the limited level of regeneration available or actual battery capacity and usable range after the update, but the SOC bar graph was much more linear and consistent throughout the discharge cycle and the DTE displayed remaining miles more accurately than before (and more accurate than the 2015). The data from the CAN Bus which is read by Leaf Spy was also more linear and consistent throughout the charge/discharge cycle than before the update.

Since charge rate and maximum regeneration are limited to avoid overvoltage of any cell pair, it is likely that the software changed some thresholds and may have changed allowable regeneration on cars with less battery deterioration than mine. Full regeneration and fast DCQC charge rates were available regardless of ambient temperature after Nissan replaced the battery in October 2013 until the car met its demise in January 2015 with 11 capacity bars remaining on the replacement battery so I saw no negative impact from the update. I really appreciated the improved accuracy of the instrumentation after the update.

Sorry your 2011 met an early demise. My 2011 is still going strong with over 132,000 miles on the odometer. I did have to replace the battery at 99,000 miles out of pocket, the Nissan dealer did assist with the cost after customer relations told me no financial help was available.

JP White,

I would probably still be driving the 2011 and would have mileage similar to yours if it had not met an early end. It had several features I liked that the 2015 did not have and it had more insulation (for both sound and heat) than the 2015. The 2015 had a few features I never really learned to like (foot pedal parking brake and black leather interior, among others), but I might have decided to replace the battery and keep it if Nissan had not introduced the Plus model with twice the horsepower, much larger battery, and better battery warranty. The 2019 has light gray leather interior, electric parking brake, and better insulation so it has most of the 2011 features I missed. I still miss the power-adjustable headlights, but that is a minor issue.

I hope you get many more years of use from your 2011.

GerryAZ said:
JP White,

I would probably still be driving the 2011 and would have mileage similar to yours if it had not met an early end. It had several features I liked that the 2015 did not have and it had more insulation (for both sound and heat) than the 2015. The 2015 had a few features I never really learned to like (foot pedal parking brake and black leather interior, among others), but I might have decided to replace the battery and keep it if Nissan had not introduced the Plus model with twice the horsepower, much larger battery, and better battery warranty. The 2019 has light gray leather interior, electric parking brake, and better insulation so it has most of the 2011 features I missed. I still miss the power-adjustable headlights, but that is a minor issue.

I hope you get many more years of use from your 2011.

Thanks Gerry,

The 2011 LEAF is in its retirement years. My wife drives the LEAF now and it does about 4,000 miles/year, she works just one mile from home so it rarely sees highway speeds anymore. I hope as well it will serve us for many more years.

JP

JPWhite said:
Sorry your 2011 met an early demise. My 2011 is still going strong with over 132,000 miles on the odometer. I did have to replace the battery at 99,000 miles out of pocket, the Nissan dealer did assist with the cost after customer relations told me no financial help was available.

Out of curiosity, was the "assist" significant. I plan on keeping my 2012 as a "suburban" vehicle for as long as possible, which could involve another battery change out. Looks like Fenix Power is very iffy, and Mux will struggle to get his great work to the US. A disappointment is that my 2012 does not support CHAdeMO bi-directional - but who knows if that might change with various battery replacement options.

Marktm said:
JPWhite said:

Out of curiosity, was the "assist" significant. I plan on keeping my 2012 as a "suburban" vehicle for as long as possible, which could involve another battery change out. Looks like Fenix Power is very iffy, and Mux will struggle to get his great work to the US. A disappointment is that my 2012 does not support CHAdeMO bi-directional - but who knows if that might change with various battery replacement options.

How did you come to the conclusion that Fenix is iffy?

Marktm said:

I was happy with the help, it cut the cost in half. The service manager who brokered that deal has since left the dealer to start his own maintenance shop. He was a mechanic when I first bought the car and he was their sole LEAF mechanic at that time and we knew each other well. He saw the car go from brand new to worn out and fortunately had the influence to help me. I had a 2007 Altima at the same time and had that serviced at he same dealer. I think our deep service history for a decade with the dealer was a big part of them being willing to help.

DaveinOlyWA said:
How did you come to the conclusion that Fenix is iffy?

Mainly because I've tried to PM John Bysinger several times over the last few months with no replies (there is a Fenix Power thread on this forum). I've also emailed to get an update with not replies. Also, the latest updates were about Fenix Power dealing with a charge station provider - do they need capital? Why would they worry about such trivialities? I'd be happy to hear from someone that has a real update!

JPWhite said:
I was happy with the help, it cut the cost in half. The service manager who brokered that deal has since left the dealer to start his own maintenance shop. He was a mechanic when I first bought the car and he was their sole LEAF mechanic at that time and we knew each other well. He saw the car go from brand new to worn out and fortunately had the influence to help me. I had a 2007 Altima at the same time and had that serviced at he same dealer. I think our deep service history for a decade with the dealer was a big part of them being willing to help.
Do you have any idea who paid for the discount ?

JPWhite said:
SageBrush said:
Do you have any idea who paid for the discount ?
Nope. I learned a long time ago not to look a gift horse in the mouth. I took the deal before anyone could change their mind.
Understood. Your story is a ray of hope for the rest of us although I cannot think of another case of discount (substantial or otherwise) reported here in years.

SageBrush said:
Understood. Your story is a ray of hope for the rest of us although I cannot think of another case of discount (substantial or otherwise) reported here in years.
If you look closely at my signature you'll see it was years ago I got the replacement. Summer of 2017 was the last time Nissan was generous. I got $1,000 off a new on board charger that summer.

Back