GCC: Subaru to expand use of Toyota Hybrid System to other models following new business and capital alliance

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is an interesting issue. Making the car basically FWD with an electric motor on the rear to provide AWD in a limited set of conditions, as Toyota did with the Prius and RAV4, is more energy efficient and probably cheaper, but not as effective in poor conditions. For my needs the Toyota approach is fine, as I'm mainly interested in AWD for regulatory compliance rather than needing the traction, but for people who need that extra traction on a regular basis Subaru's approach is better.

If the rear electric motor has enough torque to match the available traction and is combined with a LSD or virtual LSD via the traction control logic, it will work as well as anything in poor conditions. If the goal is a BEV or a series hybrid, there is no point in trying to drive all wheels from a single motor. Just put equal sized electric motors front and rear.

Back