Rims with 56 offset

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitrals

I have my eyes on a cheap set of winter tires with 114 bolt pattern and 40 offset. Rims are 16x7 with a center bore of 56 which is lower than the hub of 66. Will I be able to install them on the leaf without spacers?

Nope, unless they are aluminum rims and you have the center bore machined out. But most likely that would cost more than finding rims that are a correct fit.

Thanks Linus. They are aluminum rims. I will check if I can use spacers since the car doesnt get driven over 400 miles a month in the city.

Hmmm. Are you conflating “offset” with “center bore”?

Or are you planning to use enough spacers to float the wheel out beyond the end of the hub?

That would be a lug-centric setup, and not something I’d be comfortable with. Am I missing something?

if you get spacers that take the 66mm bore on the spindle to a 56mm bore for the rim then that would work. They would likely be in the 10mm range minimum. i bought custom spacers like that for my Audi once, it was about 180 bucks for all 4.

frontrangeleaf said:
Hmmm. Are you conflating “offset” with “center bore”?

The OP might be. The following explains offset:

ATV-Wheel-Offset-Explaination-1024x768.jpg

Where as center bore is the diameter of the center hole. Too small it it simply won't fit, too large and you will have to run a center spacer which will cause you to drive yourself nuts trying to get rid of a vibration at some specific speed (speaking from experience).

Linus said:
too large and you will have to run a center spacer which will cause you to drive yourself nuts trying to get rid of a vibration at some specific speed (speaking from experience).

Was this with a steel wheel or alloy wheel? What the spacer plastic or metal? From what I've read on-line it seems like steel wheels are usually locked in place by the mounting bolts/nuts....

goldbrick said:
Linus said:
too large and you will have to run a center spacer which will cause you to drive yourself nuts trying to get rid of a vibration at some specific speed (speaking from experience).

Was this with a steel wheel or alloy wheel? What the spacer plastic or metal? From what I've read on-line it seems like steel wheels are usually locked in place by the mounting bolts/nuts....

The majority of rims are designed to be hub centric, i.e. rely on the center bore to center the rim on the hub. hub-centric rims have a lug seats that are rounded or "ball" (heavy trucks are hub centric and have flat lug nut seats).

Cheap aftermarket rims are often lug centric as they can have a large center bore and fit more applications. The lug nuts and seats are tapered to try and center the rim. These are what I've had issues with, both with plastic and metal centering rings. I refuse to use lug centric wheels, not worth the hassle.

As for spacers, i.e. to change offset, I won't touch them.

I’ve used plastic centering rings on after market wheels for years with no issues.

Between our cars and the camper we own 8 sets of tires on dedicated wheels. 3 of those use such centering rings. Have for many years.

YMMV of course.

Back