Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep; the ? and battery. As far as what ? means? dk. Not sure anyone does. The ? is like that everywhere including EU cars.

Seems like the ? that was updated is HV Battery 2 and gets updated first... evidently a second controller.
Well I took the jump and got the technical publication from Nissan's tech info site. It was $20 for 24 hours so I got several publications.

The NTB19-056 was 18 pages long and described the update in very good detail in full color with screen shots. No reason the complete update wasn't done correctly, or thoroughly.

Step 36 on page 17 states that the HV Battery needs to be updated after the HV Battery 2 update is run, hence the 2 updates.

Obviously the tech that worked on my car either didn't read the service bulletin completely or was lazy (probably a little of both).,
so tomorrow (Monday) I will take the bulletin that I printed, the screen captures of LeafSpy showing the version numbers with me to the dealer
showing that it wasn't completly done, and have him do it.

I am also having the axle nuts replaced and retorqued to "solve" the clicking noise on accel/decell.

I also got the tech bulletin for the HV battery bonding "plates".... kind of a joke, but I have it done now.

Got back from my Nissan dealer and the update is complete!
Both the ? (HV battery 2, I think) and the HV battery are at 5SA2B (for the US, that is the update version). It was 5SA2A.
Also got the Consult printout, but it only shows today's update, but that is good enough.

Got the front axle nut replaced and retourqed for the clicking noise... we'll see how long that lasts though.

Now I need to do a some quick charges while watching the battery temp and the charge current.
It also SEEMS like the dynamic braking (with e-pedal on) seems to be a little more aggressive, which I like because it seemed a little whimpy before.
Don't know if it really is but LeafSpy indicated a higher regen when decelerating.

Really wanted to talk to the tech though, but that didn't happen... oh well.

Also wanted to ask about LeafSpy pro.
I got brave and created a custom dashboard with motor rpm, motor temp, hv battery amps, 12 v battery voltage, and vehicle speed.
When I start moving, if only 5 mph, LeafSpy crashes.
I am guessing it is the vehicle speed doesn't work, so I am going to delete that gauge and test drive it again just to see.
There is a parameter for it, 4, so i will do some more checking just to make sure I don't have something messed up.

Outside temp is stuck in F, while temps are set to C in settings.

edit:
Fixed it. I didn’t see the “convert outside temperature” option. Why is this even necessary?

thanar said:
Outside temp is stuck in F, while temps are set to C in settings.

edit:
I didn’t see the “concert outside temperature” option. Why is this necessary?

What do you mean.. concert outside temperature option?

I have been playing around with some gauges on the custom screen, and have run into problems.
I have tried to go by the default screens and adding/deleting items for my custom screens, relying on the LeafSpy documentation.
A couple of my custom gauges make LS crash as soon as they try and indicate something.
For example: a gauge for speed:

CP 0xFF87CEFA 0xFF000000

GEM
' Speed
CGR0 0 65
CGR1 65 80
CGR2 80 95
GA 50 50 98 4 Speed MPH 1 0 100 2 5

as soon as I reach 5 mph, LS crashes.
I have a couple other gauges that also crash, and I have turned on logging.

I am going to try again so I have a clean log that makes sense and is for ONE day.

Guess I should mention:
2018 Leaf SL manuf in Jan of 2018.
Leaf Spy Pro ver. 0.45.124 en
OBD2 dongel: BAFX Products OBDII diagnostic Interface.
I also have the Konnwei OBDING BLUETOOTH dongle with the correct bus termination resistor (120 ohm), and the LELink 2.
The reason I am using the BAFX is it seems to update the fastest, but if the LELink would allow the crashing gauges to work, so be it.
I am going to test it out to see if I still have crashing.

rapidgate updated: version a2b (US)

Other gauges that crash LSP;
Charge Power
Speed

What would be the most helpful for diagnosing the problem?
Info / logging / ?

Question, the parameters (variables) named EVSE amps and EVSE volts.... do they only display data during quick charge, or should there be something for L1/L2 charging?

Can somebody help Android to iPhone user.

I've paid for LeafSpy Pro on Android, but now I've switched to an Iphone 11 Pro.
How can I transfer my usage rights (granted on android) to my apple device ?

Thanks for the help on this.

I must be missing something. I connected a 12v -> 120vac inverter to my car per https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=13097 and it works well.

But I'd hoped Leaf Spy would tell me how much 12v juice I'm sucking from the car. But on several screens, where it shows the voltage in the 12v system together with an amperage, the amperage didn't go above 1 amp, even though I had several hundred watts of load connected to the 120vac output of the inverter.

Depending on where you connected the negative for the inverter, the current that you are drawing must pass through the ground cable.
Remember, the current sensor is on the negative terminal from the 12 v battery so the inverter current must pass through the sensor.
IF you have connected the negative from the inverter to a chassis bolt rather than the negative battery post, none of the inverter current will pass through the sensor, so there will be no sensed current because the DC-DC converter in the car is doing all the work supplying your inverter.

You would have to connect your inverter to the battery negative terminal in order to see any current since the DC-DC converter's negative current would be passing through the battery's negative cable.

Pomonabill220 said:
IF you have connected the negative from the inverter to a chassis bolt rather than the negative battery post, none of the inverter current will pass through the sensor, so there will be no sensed current because the DC-DC converter in the car is doing all the work supplying your inverter.
Oh duh, yes of course. I'm definitely connecting the inverter '-' input to a chassis bolt; the folks at the thread I linked are most emphatic that you mustn't connect the inverter to the Leaf battery's negative terminal (because of that current sensor).

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply !

Well connecting the negative to chassis will not measure any current then because the battery is not providing the power, but the DC-DC is, and is not being measured.
I don't see why the big deal about running the current through the current sensor though. I imagine that any current passing through the hall effect current sensor would be compensated for by the convert's logic, so I don't see the point....but oh well.

I would actually prefer to connect an inverter as close to the battery as possible, since any power spikes would use the lead acid battery as a buffer and they would not stress the DC/DC.

Turbo3 said:
brycenesbitt said:
Given that the Bluetooth Konnwei KW902 is a knockoff device, of which some are defective, and gets terrible reviews on Amazon.... what's the currently recommended adapter for iOS or Android Leaf Spy? I have the LELink adapter which is supported and real, but does not work on Android Leaf Spy.
Looking at the top of the clear LELink case, does it have a small superscript 2 after LELink?

Which version of LeafSpy are you running ? LeafSpy or LeafSpy Pro?

The LELink is the recommended adapter for both iOS and Android.

I had great luck with this adapter. The images / description is messed up as usual on these listings, however my unit is a WiFi one, connects just fine with iOS and Leaf Spy doesn't complain about it:

k0vpDkM.png

Pomonabill220 said:
I have been playing around with some gauges on the custom screen, and have run into problems.
I have tried to go by the default screens and adding/deleting items for my custom screens, relying on the LeafSpy documentation.
A couple of my custom gauges make LS crash as soon as they try and indicate something.
For example: a gauge for speed:

CP 0xFF87CEFA 0xFF000000

GEM
' Speed
CGR0 0 65
CGR1 65 80
CGR2 80 95
GA 50 50 98 4 Speed MPH 1 0 100 2 5

as soon as I reach 5 mph, LS crashes.
I have a couple other gauges that also crash, and I have turned on logging.

I am going to try again so I have a clean log that makes sense and is for ONE day.

ANYBODY have any ideas bout the custom gauges crashing LS????

Turbo3 said:
At last a new updated version of LeafSpy Pro is ready for testing. If you have LeafSpy Pro you can use this link to try it out and give me feedback. There is also an updated PDF of the built-in help.

The major improvements are the support for Gauges which are much better at displaying the rapidly changing data that custom screens allow because they only read data from the Leaf that is being displayed. I have seen update rates of 150 milliseconds on the sample BMS screens that are included in this release.

There is a new Safe Mode (for 2011-2017 Leafs) which should eliminate the relay clicking sound heard when the Leaf is in Sleep mode and LeafSpy Pro tries to communicate with the Leaf.

The Server function has been moved to the background area and continues to run when LeafSpy Pro is in the background or the device is turned off.

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.Turbo3.Leaf_Spy_Pro

Changes are:
- Support for new Android Permissions check at run time.

- LeafSpy Pro - Custom Screen 3 improvements including addition of user defined Gauges to better display fast changing data. Gauges include resettable Lo/Hi markers.

- LeafSpy Pro - Changed HV battery temperature Graph on screen 2 from a simple Bar graph to resettable time graph which also includes plotting ambient temperature.

- Added a "Safe Mode" in Settings/Options to eliminate clicking sound heard when LeafSpy attempts to communicate with a Leaf that has gone into Sleep mode. Not usable on 2018 or newer Leafs. Safe Mode is the default each time LeafSpy is started unless a 2018 or newer Leaf is detect/selected. For 2018 or newer Leafs be sure the correct Model Year is selected on the Settings/Model Year panel.

- Added option in Settings/Options to enable LELink^2 zero power mode for 2011-2017 Leaf. Zero power mode is not compatible with 2018 and newer Leafs.

- Added option in Settings/Logging to allow logging of Cell Voltages to be disabled. This will speed up logging by not reading the 96 cell voltages and shunt values from the Leaf. This is overwritten if the currently displayed screen require displaying cell/shunt data.

- Added option in Settings/Logging to change the default variable separator and decimal separator used in the csv log file from comma and decimal point to semicolon and decimal comma.

- Added Charge Alarm to Settings/Battery.

- Maximum Elevation/Speed graph samples increased from 5000 to 10000 samples.

- Custom screen file menu list is now sorted alphabetically. If current custom screen contains only Gauges the file list may start with an option to resize the current gauge screen if it has been manually adjusted.

- Gauges on custom screens can be manually scaled if the automatic scaling does not produce the optimum scaling.

- Custom screen labels/variables elements now automatically select the font size based on space available and a template specfying how many characters need to be displayed. As a result the "L" type element has been replaced with types "LBL", "VAR", "LV", and "VL".

- For Custom screens, depending on the element type being displayed, the location can be specific relative to the top left corner of the element (-X,-Y) or relative to the center of the element (X, Y).

- Built in help now uses an included true mono space font when graphics are drawn. This gets around the problem that most Android system mono space fonts are not mono space.

- The time it takes to cycle through reading all the data currently being read from the Leaf can be displayed in the lower right status area by selecting the "Hide Connect Status" option in Settings/Screen. This is helpful when evaluating different OBDII adapters for performance or to see the update speed of a custom gauge screen. Time is in seconds.

- Added a header to the Elevation/Speed csv log file.

- Tire pressures can now be read from 2018 and newer Leafs.

- Server function is now a background process. Data continues to be sent to the server even if LeafSpy is running in the background or the device is turned off.

- Hx, Speed (GPS), HV Battery voltage and current are now included in the data sent to the Server.

I have asked this question before and haven't gotten any responses or answers, SO I will ask it another way....

What parameters can be displayed as a gauge? I have made several on the custom screen and for some reason LS crashes. Haven't found any clues as to why either.
Also, are there any tricks that I need to use when displaying, for instance, the heat and cool powers as gauges?
Motor RPM?
Vehicle speed?
Is a portrait and landscape layout needed if I only use landscape?

Once again... I have a 2018 Leaf SV.

Thanks!

Back