What's new for 2020?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So no chance of active cooling on the battery?

I will guess the 40 pack will go up to 44 or 45 for the same money to compete better against Zoe and the remaining sub 200 mile cars.

Guessing as well they tweak a few epa miles out of the 62 pack via other small improvements. They need 400 Km WLTP range to be seen as competitive. That means getting 10 more miles out of the pack.

DougWantsALeaf said:
So no chance of active cooling on the battery?

I will guess the 40 pack will go up to 44 or 45 for the same money to compete better against Zoe and the remaining sub 200 mile cars.

Guessing as well they tweak a few epa miles out of the 62 pack via other small improvements. They need 400 Km WLTP range to be seen as competitive. That means getting 10 more miles out of the pack.

The active cooling would mean nothing to us as we live in a cooler climate. A solid 400 km rating would be cool but not a biggy. I am curious if they will expand on their “over the air updates” as seeing after purchase improvements would be probably good for the brand.

kikbuti said:
danrjones said:
kikbuti said:
It's mid September and this thread is the best I can find on USA 2020 Nissan Leaf+. I just sold my 2016 Leaf SL to Carmax. I have 6 more payments on a Volvo lease. I hate buying gas. Dealer wanting to slam me into a leftover 2019 SL+ with discounts up to 4500. This time, I won't settle for a black interior. I plan to wait to get what I want. Can't do Tesla for many reasons.... ingress/egress, quality issues, higher insurance, no cheap financing offers, etc.

If you wait long enough there will be a Volvo xc40 ev.

I don't think anyone knows what 2020 will bring. One reason I did not mind the sv trim was fabric seats are cooler.

There are still plenty of plus inventory around los angeles last time I looked.
Volvo XC40 EV announcement in a few weeks. This may just work out for me. I can delay purchase until at least February. Test driving a Tesla Model 3 at noon today.

I found this on it, a teaser, but still interesting.

https://insideevs.com/news/372768/volvo-xc40-ev-revealed-october-16/

That's a good point, why haven't they done any real over the air updates yet. Even if its just to add a token "fart" feature or something.

The capability is there. Nissan is losing its window to show it can change culture and adaptive abilities to the market.

DougWantsALeaf said:
That's a good point, why haven't they done any real over the air updates yet. Even if its just to add a token "fart" feature or something.

The capability is there. Nissan is losing its window to show it can change culture and adaptive abilities to the market.

Does the Leaf even support OTA updates?

Maybe the map, but would be surprised if Nissan set of the main system to be updatable OTA.

danrjones said:
kikbuti said:
danrjones said:
If you wait long enough there will be a Volvo xc40 ev.

I don't think anyone knows what 2020 will bring. One reason I did not mind the sv trim was fabric seats are cooler.

There are still plenty of plus inventory around los angeles last time I looked.
Volvo XC40 EV announcement in a few weeks. This may just work out for me. I can delay purchase until at least February. Test driving a Tesla Model 3 at noon today.

I found this on it, a teaser, but still interesting.

https://insideevs.com/news/372768/volvo-xc40-ev-revealed-october-16/
Currently driving Tesla Model 3 for overnight test drive. Volvo dealer says XC40EC delivery expected in the spring, but no news on the pricing. Tesla M3 is a cool car, but the $40K version lacks so many things. Need to spend $50K to get a good car, IMHO. I can get a loaded Leaf SL Plus for $40K here in the midwest. I may be getting my third Nissan Leaf. Seems the other manufacturers are coming up short. Chevy Bolt feels crappy. Hyundai/Kia not available here and seems too small. Tesla about $10K too much.

If volvo follows how they did their plugin hybrid pricing for the larger cousins- where they made it the top engine T8 in top trim - then you can guess a price by going up in price one above the current top trim.

So a xc40 inscription trim t5 starts at about 43k but that's without any addons and Volvo puts all the good stuff as packages. Plus I'd expect them to pad it with the approximate fed tax credit.

A nicely loaded inscription t5 is about 47k.
Add in the 7500 and you are looking at about 55k for the starting point for ev trim.

That's just a wild guess.

danrjones said:
Does the Leaf even support OTA updates?

Maybe the map, but would be surprised if Nissan set of the main system to be updatable OTA.

Yes, the Leaf Plus supports OTA updates for the main system, in addition to the maps. It has to be connected to wi-fi, but then you can tell it to check manually, or it will automatically check once a week or so. However, it reports the current version number, and mine has not changed in the six months I've had it. So, I have yet to actually see an update.

webeleafowners said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
Does your show version 399 as well?

I’m not sure what you mean Doug. Version of what. Sorry. I’m not very informed on some of this stuff.

I think he was referring to the software version
CxWGpXz.jpg

I’m prolly in the minority here, but I think they could help themselves with some relatively minor content upgrades to improve perceived value. I don’t think big increases in range over the Plus are necessary, for example. Nor am I that concerned about charge times.

How about
  • One touch up/down on all windows
  • A 12v power port for the rear
  • Another USB port
  • Power passenger seat on SL
  • Memory positioning for driver’s seat SL
  • Tilt/telescope steering wheel
  • Auto dimming outside mirrors

There are probably a few others that would add value for not much cost.

I also think they should offer a sport package on all Plus models. Emotion sells. This is a fun car that goes under-appreciated. Fix that and sales will resume. Nothing too fancy. More steering weight and a bit more ant-roll bar. Maybe some aero treatment of the rocker panels, but that gets into money. Slightly wider tires.

Bottom-line: Stop playing the range game. Change the game. The Plus has enough range. Sell sexy but affordable. It’s not that big a stretch. This car runs rings around any Corolla, Sentra or Civic. They are the competition. Not Tesla.

I think the plus may have added a slightly bigger screen over mine but the screen is both small and the menu a bit old feeling in the 2018. Getting pandora or other apps to work is a battle unless I plug in and use android auto. Sometimes though i don't want to pull my phone out and plug in. My outback menu screen is much better.

I totally agree on the 12v power or USB plugs. It must be the only modern car with just one USB.

Screen in the Plus is a little bigger. Plenty big in fact.

I like the interface. You can customize it to suit your needs pretty well, graphics are clear, nav maps excellent.

It doesn’t feel dated at all. Maybe not cutting edge but definitely not dated either. There’s always room for improvement. Works well as is.

I am not a fan of giant touch screens ala Tesla. Overdone and a step backwards ergonomically. Model 3 interior is a deal killer for me. Great car otherwise.

frontrangeleaf said:

I like the interface. You can customize it to suit your needs pretty well, graphics are clear, nav maps excellent.

It doesn’t feel dated at all. Maybe not cutting edge but definitely not dated either. There’s always room for improvement. Works well as is.

I am not a fan of giant touch screens ala Tesla. Overdone and a step backwards ergonomically. Model 3 interior is a deal killer for me. Great car otherwise.

There are about half a dozen switches I would like separate and easy to get at with a single touch. The rest I’m okay with on something like the Tesla’s display.

We both live the model 3 but still chose to order an Eplus SL for a few reasons but one of them was the heated steering wheel. Here’s the thing. Without the heated wheel we would be wearing gloves. But you have to take your gloves off to use the Tesla touch screen. Sooooooooo. Just sayin. Can’t for the life of me think why they don’t have a heated steering wheel in a model 3. We have been using our heated steering wheel on our leaf here for the last three weeks already. Blowing warm air on the steering wheel is not the same.

Here’s the thing. Without the heated wheel we would be wearing gloves. But you have to take your gloves off to use the Tesla touch screen. Sooooooooo. Just sayin. Can’t for the life of me think why they don’t have a heated steering wheel in a model 3.

That's something that hadn't occurred to most of us, I think! Tesla, in refusing to provide a heated steering wheel at least as an option, has made it quite difficult to operate their cars in Winter with the gloves that the lack of said heated wheel necessitates for those with poor circulation. This beats even the windows that freeze the Model 3 doors closed!

LeftieBiker said:
Here’s the thing. Without the heated wheel we would be wearing gloves. But you have to take your gloves off to use the Tesla touch screen. Sooooooooo. Just sayin. Can’t for the life of me think why they don’t have a heated steering wheel in a model 3.

That's something that hadn't occurred to most of us, I think! Tesla, in refusing to provide a heated steering wheel at least as an option, has made it quite difficult to operate their cars in Winter with the gloves that the lack of said heated wheel necessitates for those with poor circulation. This beats even the windows that freeze the Model 3 doors closed!

Exactly. In the old days when we had one car with and one car without a heated steering wheel once fall came we ALWAYS chose the car with the heated steering wheel. I can’t say that we wouldn’t buy a model 3 because it doesn’t have a heated steering wheel but when we both made our list of pros and cons of the leaf we both had heated steering wheel as number one.

frontrangeleaf said:

Is the plus interface different than the non plus or did the 2019 get an upgrade? No disrespect but the menu system in my 2018 is nothing to rave about. My 2018 outback is much better.

Is the plus interface different than the non plus or did the 2019 get an upgrade?

It' my understanding that the ePlus gets the bigger screen, and the 2019 40kwh Leaf retains the smaller one. I've seen this mentioned a couple of times.

Back