Extra Battery, How to Integrate with 24kWh Traction Battery?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I solved the problem of calculating the mileage in the case of using an additional battery, that's how the final look is like an OBD box
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn_YGx-AuHA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZScCqkrGWs

jrhirsch said:
Mux, will your can bus allow 2011-2012 Nissan Leafs to use 30 and 40kwh batteries?

Yes, I'm driving a 2011 Leaf with a 40kWh battery *and* extender battery, all with correct GOM indication and.... well, still working on fixing the latest bugs, but that's just a matter of time before they're all good.

MAR156 said:
I solved the problem of calculating the mileage in the case of using an additional battery, that's how the final look is like an OBD box
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn_YGx-AuHA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZScCqkrGWs

Do you have any detail about your extender build?

Mux, that's great news! Thousands of Leafs now have the chance to be resurrected with reasonable range. Looking forward to the release of your can bus. Will be looking for a donor vehicle.

In a previous comment you mentioned it's price would be about $50. Please don't undersell yourself. The electronics may be inexpensive but your labor to get this figured out, tested, and manufactured wasn't cheap. It's in the best interest for Nissan Leaf owners to keep you economically healthy so you don't have to scrimp and produce a reliable and well engineered product.

jrhirsch said:
Mux, that's great news! Thousands of Leafs now have the chance to be resurrected with reasonable range. Looking forward to the release of your can bus. Will be looking for a donor vehicle.

In a previous comment you mentioned it's price would be about $50. Please don't undersell yourself. The electronics may be inexpensive but your labor to get this figured out, tested, and manufactured wasn't cheap. It's in the best interest for Nissan Leaf owners to keep you economically healthy so you don't have to scrimp and produce a reliable and well engineered product.

I agree. A product like this would be quite reasonable at twice that price. Don't forget to patent it!

IssacZachary said:
That beats owning a second vehicle. Well, the total cost of ownership of an average, cheap, used vehicle for 5 years is between $25,000 and $35,000 in the USA.

This TCO estimate doesn't make any sense. How on earth would you plow $20,000 into a $5,000 used Prius over as little as five years?

What muxsan are doing is pretty amazing! A 40 kWh donor pack, installed in a 2013 LEAF, along with an extender pack in the trunk:

https://youtu.be/zj-ygvDjoCk

Just wish I was able to become a customer here in Canada!

mux said:
It's done, we're about to hit mass production. CAN bridges aren't going to be available to buy from us for a few weeks (basically: until the next revision hardware has been assembled, takes about 3 weeks), but around end of september you should be able to buy these electronics and mess with your Leaf's CAN bus to your heart's content.

Hello, did you start production?

Not really, still trying to get a bunch of pre-mass production boards out to my friends and co-devvers in the community. Things are going slower than I'd like.

@mux Will there be any license restrictions on using your CANBUS bridge to create a niche product, with an intention to resell it once customized?

nope. You can do anything you like with it. You can compete with us if you want, although I would question your business model if you did :p

But we're keeping the LEAF-specific code relatively private (within a small group of companies and engineering-minded individuals who actively contribute to the project).

We're open sourcing it precisely to provide a more democratic CAN bus modding tool to the world.

mux said:
But we're keeping the LEAF-specific code relatively private (within a small group of companies and engineering-minded individuals who actively contribute to the project).

I'm not a professional developer, but I think I could figure out the project I have in mind fairly easily. Do you mind if I PM you directly? Just want to run my idea past you...

mux said:
Not really, still trying to get a bunch of pre-mass production boards out to my friends and co-devvers in the community. Things are going slower than I'd like.

What are the estimated dates? The whole world is waiting for the start of sales of your product.

proper mass production is in a month, small batches are going out next week.

Dear engineers, please help solve the problem. I connect an extra high voltage battery to my car (aze0 2014)
Where do I need to connect an extra battery? After the current sensor (it is installed in the middle) or do you need to transfer the current sensor? What problems will there be if I leave the current sensor in the middle and connect an additional battery at the battery output? Thanks

No offense but if you don't know this answer you should not be touching a HV pack. You should get professional help.

Back