air bag light blinking, B00A0 0009 AIR BAG code

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IIama

Out of the blue, my air bag light started blinking. I checked the codes with LeafSpy Pro, and I get a whole list, including 'B00A0 0009 AR BAG'.

I'm the original owner of this 2013, and as far as I know, all recalls were completed, and Nissan's website sees to confirm there are no outstanding recalls.

Since LeafSpy doens't seem to allow me to save the codes as text, I'll have to share a partial screenshot (apologies for the high res):

PIraNHx.jpg

Any suggestions?

Some of the other DTCs present are indicative of low 12-volt battery (or codes were not cleared after disconnecting/reconnecting 12-volt battery). Check your 12-volt battery and clear all DTCs using Leaf Spy (step through clearing each module). Then see if air bag !ight continues to flash and DTCs return.

I keep getting an airbag light intermittently, but I tried pulling a code with LeafSpy, and there was none. :? So, I keep resetting it by doing the trick on found here on MNL, to start the car 3 times, making sure to shut it off before the airbag light begins to blink. I've had to do that about 4 times in the past 6 months, and there's no pattern to it. I just hate to go to the dealer and pay them $65 just to read the code. I actually made an appointment the one time, because I couldn't get it to reset, and my wife won't ride in the Leaf without functioning airbags, but then, before the appointment, I was able to reset it again.

GerryAZ said:
Some of the other DTCs present are indicative of low 12-volt battery (or codes were not cleared after disconnecting/reconnecting 12-volt battery). Check your 12-volt battery and clear all DTCs using Leaf Spy (step through clearing each module). Then see if air bag !ight continues to flash and DTCs return.

hmm, I replaced my 12V battery less than a year ago, and I think my last reading (several weeks ago) was 13V, but I'll have to watch this closer, and will attempt to clear the codes.

keydiver said:
I keep getting an airbag light intermittently, but I tried pulling a code with LeafSpy, and there was none. :? So, I keep resetting it by doing the trick on found here on MNL, to start the car 3 times, making sure to shut it off before the airbag light begins to blink. I've had to do that about 4 times in the past 6 months, and there's no pattern to it. I just hate to go to the dealer and pay them $65 just to read the code. I actually made an appointment the one time, because I couldn't get it to reset, and my wife won't ride in the Leaf without functioning airbags, but then, before the appointment, I was able to reset it again.

As long as you don't reset it, the code should stay in memory, shouldn't it ?

Did you guys get any resolution to this issue? I'm having the same thing, just replaced 12v but code won't clear. I'm holding out hope that it'll clear itself after some driving.

This DTC is related to the Occupant Classification Sensor control unit (OCS) located in the passenger seat cushion used to detect if an adult is present for air bag deployment in a crash. This consists of both a sensor and a control unit.

So the DTC can be thrown for a failed control unit, no data or undefined data to the unit, lack of unit reset, failed sensor, lack of power to the sensor, lack of communication with the sensor.

The troubleshooting steps for this DTC include to check for damage to the connector and wiring harness, and check for a loose connector. If that doesn't fix it then replace the seat cushion; if that doesn't stop the DTC then replace the air bag diagnosis unit.

In addition there is a "reset zero" procedure to calibrate the OCS for when nobody is sitting in the seat versus when it is loaded. Possibly you had a briefcase or package in the seat, or a recent passenger before the malfunction lamp went off?

Since the code seems to come and go at random, my guess is that either the OCS seat sensor is producing spurious voltages, OR a terminal pin in a connector is loose and intermittent, OR the 12-V aux battery is weak.

What happens when an adult is sitting in the seat--does the light flicker or not? The dash light trick will not work, i.e SRS diagnostic mode, if no malfunction is detected in user mode.

Good Luck let us know what you find.

Is this issue related to the "OCS" recall I received in Januarly, 2017, for my 2015 LeafS?

NHTSA recall 16V-244.
Invoice says: R16072

This recall notice coincided with an A/C recall, to replace a high pressure pipe and high pressure flexible hose.

While at the dealer for the ground plate recall, I asked them to do an OCS zero point reset with fingers crossed. They charged me 1/2 hour of labor and were able to clear the code.

I'm guessing the 12V battery was the underlying cause of the intermittent problem originally (variable voltage with the change in seasonal temps + a very sensitive startup self-diagnostic), and I probably got the OCS computer into some kind of error state by trying to reset it multiple times. Or maybe there's still a loose connection in the harness somewhere.

But so far so good a week after the reset. My takeaway is to keep an eye on the 12V battery.

caalami said:
While at the dealer for the ground plate recall, I asked them to do an OCS zero point reset with fingers crossed. They charged me 1/2 hour of labor and were able to clear the code.

I'm guessing the 12V battery was the underlying cause of the intermittent problem originally (variable voltage with the change in seasonal temps + a very sensitive startup self-diagnostic), and I probably got the OCS computer into some kind of error state by trying to reset it multiple times. Or maybe there's still a loose connection in the harness somewhere.

But so far so good a week after the reset. My takeaway is to keep an eye on the 12V battery.

I had the OCS sensor fail in my 2011 Leaf. However, I think the code it generated was different. I don't remember--it was a year ago and it would reset, but then come back again. The only proper repair was to replace the entire seat ($3000), as they don't sell the sensor standalone.

Back