How much of a Discount Should I be Able to Get on an Ordered Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those Bolt prices looked really good. Like the Leaf, the bolt when driven carefully can well outperform the EPA range.

While this is going to cause a stir, I don’t see as many Tesla drivers claiming to achieve real world ranges much above the EPA for those cars. Usually 10-20% less. EPA is doable, I think it’s just hard to drive a Tesla that slow. Too much fun to push it harder.

cwerdna said:
Bolt doesn't have certain features at all like adaptive cruise control, ProPilot equivalent nor nav system. You either use CarPlay, Android Auto or you can get some turn-by-turn directions via OnStar (have to pay for subscription for that. I use Waze, Google Maps and Apple Maps via CarPlay.
Nav via the phone is a pretty good solution ... until you try Tesla nav. Then the integration and screen size really stands out as superior.

The full color sat Nav does look very cool in the 3. You have to get the long range version to get it though I believe...it is tempting with a range boost to the Plus as well.

DougWantsALeaf said:
The full color sat Nav does look very cool in the 3. You have to get the long range version to get it though I believe...it is tempting with a range boost to the Plus as well.
I'm not sure what 'full color' means. The more expensive Tesla models also show real-time traffic

SageBrush said:
cwerdna said:
Bolt doesn't have certain features at all like adaptive cruise control, ProPilot equivalent nor nav system. You either use CarPlay, Android Auto or you can get some turn-by-turn directions via OnStar (have to pay for subscription for that. I use Waze, Google Maps and Apple Maps via CarPlay.
Nav via the phone is a pretty good solution ... until you try Tesla nav. Then the integration and screen size really stands out as superior.
With CarPlay esp. with a large LCD like in a Bolt, you do have a fair amount of overall screen real estate and not everything is crammed into the LCD centered between the two front seats.

I uploaded this pic to another forum in a CarPlay thread: https://imgur.com/a/pWKbM2u. The large LCD on the Bolt is 10.2" diagonal. The one in front of the driver w/the speedometer, battery bars and regen/power indicator + some indicators is supposedly 8" diagonal. When using CarPlay to navigate, it seems like all 3 mapping apps I use (Apple Maps, Waze and Google Maps) put the immediate directions in the upper left of the car's LCD and the rest on the phone. My iPhone 8's got a 4.7" diagonal screen.

cwerdna said:
SageBrush said:
cwerdna said:
With CarPlay esp. with a large LCD like in a Bolt, you do have a fair amount of overall screen real estate and not everything is crammed into the LCD centered between the two front seats.

I uploaded this pic to another forum in a CarPlay thread: https://imgur.com/a/pWKbM2u. The large LCD on the Bolt is 10.2" diagonal. The one in front of the driver w/the speedometer, battery bars and regen/power indicator + some indicators is supposedly 8" diagonal. When using CarPlay to navigate, it seems like all 3 mapping apps I use (Apple Maps, Waze and Google Maps) put the immediate directions in the upper left of the car's LCD and the rest on the phone. My iPhone 8's got a 4.7" diagonal screen.

As I said, you have to experience Tesla to realize just how inferior the other solutions are. I think the headline attributes are a huge screen, very precise GPS, smart orientation, *very* clear display of maps in different perspectives, and dynamic map views as you drive. The latter means that the map zooms in when turns approach. I don't think any of these features are unique to Tesla but their integration together is.

Well, we found a 2019 Scarlet Ember Tintcoat SL Plus at the Campbell Nissan dealer in Everett (WA). They discounted much more than the other dealer we were working with. So we got the car for right about $40K. Then add the $7,500 Federal Tax credit and the $2,250 for Sales Tax credit and the car is a pretty good price (in my opinion). Since we do not pay $7,500 Income Tax on my retirement income, the dealer told us to lease the cat for a month and "flip it" to a purchase before the end of the first month. That gained us at least $2K and we get the $7,500 off the top (instead of waiting to file income tax). I would highly recommend this dealer. The guy we dealt with was very knowledgeable on Leaf's and all rebate/credit options. He is the number one Nissan EV Salesman in the world for 2018, 2016, and 2013(!!). We picked the car up yesterday and are loving it!

countryleaf said:
Well, we found a 2019 Scarlet Ember Tintcoat SL Plus at the Campbell Nissan dealer in Everett (WA). They discounted much more than the other dealer we were working with. So we got the car for right about $40K. Then add the $7,500 Federal Tax credit and the $2,250 for Sales Tax credit and the car is a pretty good price (in my opinion). Since we do not pay $7,500 Income Tax on my retirement income, the dealer told us to lease the cat for a month and "flip it" to a purchase before the end of the first month. That gained us at least $2K and we get the $7,500 off the top (instead of waiting to file income tax). I would highly recommend this dealer. The guy we dealt with was very knowledgeable on Leaf's and all rebate/credit options. He is the number one Nissan EV Salesman in the world for 2018, 2016, and 2013(!!). We picked the car up yesterday and are loving it!

Great creative way to get most of the $7,500 tax credit if you have limited income that limits tax liability.

The only additional hit you will have is the $650 NMAC lease acquisition fee they charge.

For the people who think they bought at invoice or below invoice, think again. What a dealer pays for a car is very convoluted. When they accept harder to sell cars, they get all sorts of incentives off the invoice. I remember a dealer showing me a piece of paper showing me his invoice, what a bunch of BS or telling me they want to sell the car below what they paid for it (invoice). Sure, this is the dealer than sells cars below cost and makes no profit and still stays in business.

Baltneu said:
Sure, this is the dealer than sells cars below cost and makes no profit and still stays in business.
They make it up in volume. That's why they like selling SUVs -- more volume! :lol:

jlv said:
Baltneu said:
Sure, this is the dealer than sells cars below cost and makes no profit and still stays in business.
They make it up in volume. That's why they like selling SUVs -- more volume! :lol:

Nonsense.
They will find some other sucker who believes the “invoice” BS and buys it.
If you think you bought a Leaf for below what the dealer actually bought it for, I have a bridge to sell you.

Baltneu said:
jlv said:
Baltneu said:

Nonsense.
They will find some other sucker who believes the “invoice” BS and buys it.
If you think you bought a Leaf for below what the dealer actually bought it for, I have a bridge to sell you.

You do know that 80% of the dealer's profits come out of the service dept. If you catch them just right when they need to move just a couple more units to make an incentive quota or a sales minimum, you can get them down to actual cost although you'll hear the sales manager all across the floor and they'll make you pinky swear never to reveal the price to anyone. You need a high volume dealer to pull this off.

johnlocke said:
You do know that 80% of the dealer's profits come out of the service dept.
I've read that figure too although I don't know how loyal customers are to the dealership where they bought the car when it comes to service. Second, we are talking EV here. Service charges are expected to be low ---- right ?

SageBrush said:
johnlocke said:
I've read that figure too although I don't know how loyal customers are to the dealership where they bought the car when it comes to service. Second, we are talking EV here. Service charges are expected to be low ---- right ?

Right. No wonder one dealership tried to steal my snow tires. ;)

LeftieBiker said:
Right. No wonder one dealership tried to steal my snow tires. ;)

I just took a stroll down memory lane. The last time I paid for service at a dealership was to repair a 1996 Subaru. That car is long gone and subsequent Honda Fit, Toyota Prius, Prius Prime, Lexus hybrid, Prius V, LEAF and Tesla Model 3 have never seen a dealership (or service center.) I am somewhat atypical in that I perform simple maintenance at home but on the flip side I have close to zero mechanical aptitude.

SageBrush said:
johnlocke said:

Car dealers have been slow to respond to the challenge that is the EV. Actually most customers are very loyal to their dealer unless they have a really bad experience. Salesmen are taught to introduce customers to the service manager when delivering a car. That's why you see things like brake flushes and cabin filter replacements.

johnlocke said:
Actually most customers are very loyal to their dealer unless they have a really bad experience.
Any data to back up that statement ?

Some Googlling found
According to ICDP data, cars sold with service packages lead to 50% higher retained margin over the customer lifetime
This implies that cars sold without a service package has *at best* a ~ 60% return rate for service -- and likely quite a bit less. My (admittedly fuzzy) impression is cars under warranty are serviced by dealerships, although I really do not know if the dealership providing the warranty service is the same one that sold the car.

Baltneu said:
jlv said:
Baltneu said:

Nonsense.
Correct. But not for the reason you claim.

That you missed the humor, well, probably speaks poorly of both of us. ;)

Back