What's new for 2020?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
Is the plus interface different than the non plus or did the 2019 get an upgrade?

It' my understanding that the ePlus gets the bigger screen, and the 2019 40kwh Leaf retains the smaller one. I've seen this mentioned a couple of times.

I had heard that but now I'm wondering if the menu system was upgraded as well.

I mean I love our 2018 leaf but I'd never praise the media interface.

Phatcat73 said:
I don’t miss the heated steering wheel. Tesla makes up for it with a reliable climate control app that can also preheat seats.

How does the App heat the steering wheel. The seats are heated in a Leaf too. Im not knocking the Tesla but warming the interior doesn’t come close to heating the steering wheel. It would seem such a simple addition for them.

danrjones said:
I had heard that but now I'm wondering if the menu system was upgraded as well.

I mean I love our 2018 leaf but I'd never praise the media interface.

The user interface (menu system) is different between the 2019 Plus and the non-Plus models.

Personally, I liked the setup better in the non-Plus. For example, if I remember correctly it has a screen for climate control whereas the Plus only displays a widget for climate; this horrible all grey no color widget.

Yes, from reading the owner manual and service manual, the larger display in the plus model has a different menu structure and user interface. It also allows map updates via WiFi internet connection, but my car has the latest version and it keeps warning me about driving on unpaved road as I drive into or out of my neighborhood on the road that was paved before I moved here 19 years ago. The older cars had a different mapping system which did not speak up with warnings all the time. I have not yet found a way to turn off the navigation warnings even when there is no route active. I preferred the map with XM Traffic displays in the older cars because I could set black background so construction zone and accident symbols could be seen with a quick glance. The new car display has white background during the day and accident or construction zone symbols are smaller so I cannot see them with just a glance. In general, I find the new display system to be much more distracting than the older system because everything is on the touchscreen instead of buttons. I often have the screen scroll instead of activating the icon I touch (must make sure not to move finger sideways when touching) because it is too sensitive. I never had issues with inadvertent actions when using the touchscreen in either of the previous cars.

TFT mentioned that the 2020 Leaf is going to have an additional 40% range over the 2019 Leaf Plus.

https://youtu.be/njKmKAEdXsY

I would wager with Liquid cool battery too.

How about for a kicker, support of Chademo and CCS. Think about it, they have the port room for it. (The last 2 are speculation)

DougWantsALeaf said:
TFT mentioned that the 2020 Leaf is going to have an additional 40% range over the 2019 Leaf Plus.

How about for a kicker, support of Chademo and CCS. Think about it, they have the port room for it. (The last 2 are speculation)

I don’t think they are taking about the 2020 model year as that will be roughly the same as existing Eplus. I can see some significant changes for 2021 model year coming though.

webeleafowners said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

I don’t think they are taking about the 2020 model year as that will be roughly the same as existing Eplus. I can see some significant changes for 2021 model year coming though.
The dealer I talked to last week said that the 2020 version is the same as the 2019. Particularly the same battery and same cooling.

webeleafowners said:
I am starting to think that there will be no changes for the 2020 model year though. By now there would have been some info leaks, even if it was just another USB port or whatever.

Oh yes there will be changes

It will be slightly more expensive and have a 2020 on the sticker!
:lol:

GerryAZ said:
Yes, from reading the owner manual and service manual, the larger display in the plus model has a different menu structure and user interface. It also allows map updates via WiFi internet connection, but my car has the latest version and it keeps warning me about driving on unpaved road as I drive into or out of my neighborhood on the road that was paved before I moved here 19 years ago. The older cars had a different mapping system which did not speak up with warnings all the time. I have not yet found a way to turn off the navigation warnings even when there is no route active. I preferred the map with XM Traffic displays in the older cars because I could set black background so construction zone and accident symbols could be seen with a quick glance. The new car display has white background during the day and accident or construction zone symbols are smaller so I cannot see them with just a glance. In general, I find the new display system to be much more distracting than the older system because everything is on the touchscreen instead of buttons. I often have the screen scroll instead of activating the icon I touch (must make sure not to move finger sideways when touching) because it is too sensitive. I never had issues with inadvertent actions when using the touchscreen in either of the previous cars.

Maybe I just need to bite the bullet so to speak and always plug in to use android auto. Just sometimes I am taking a quick drive, or forget to plug in, and I can never seem to get the Bluetooth to stream my music. There is no way to select which app I want on my phone, and it always says the "Bluetooth menu is not available". What usually happens is the LAST app I was running on my phone is the one that tries to run in the car. But no way to select onedrive or pandora or anything else if I want something different. Unless I plug in, of course. Seems like in the year 2019 we should be able to do better? Or is this a case of user error? First world problems...

DougWantsALeaf said:

I'm thinking they may have confused the announcement of Nissan's new EV, the crossover / suv, with the Leaf. I know the announcement of the second EV was in the news and they were showing it to dealers, and indeed they said it would have more range.

frontrangeleaf said:
How about
  • One touch up/down on all windows
  • A 12v power port for the rear
  • Another USB port

• How about a 20A 120V AC port... anywhere. People would find plenty of use for it if they didn't have to muck about with inverters and DIY high-amp DC wiring. Camping, worksites, emergency power, etc... If it were as easy as plugging in a cord, people would go crazy over it and brag about it to everyone. "Can your gasoline car do THIS? Hell no!"

Don't worry about V2G that never comes, just give us a useable AC outlet! And not some 2-amp bullshit, because I know that's what some Nissan engineer is thinking as they read this. :lol:

DougWantsALeaf said:

If they want to continue to be an EV player in the international market they need to come to grips that they're not going to win this standards war. Either partner with Tesla, or get on the CCS bandwagon.

danrjones said:
Interesting that we are approaching November and still not a word.

When did Nissan release the 2018 and then the 2019 Leaf?

Yah. I checked with my sales guy who is all things Leaf and EV in general. Not a peep...or nothing that he is letting slip. He trades in his Leaf every two years. He would probably be in the know.

Sigh. Our new 2020 is supposed to arrive 1st week of March.

webeleafowners said:
danrjones said:
Interesting that we are approaching November and still not a word.

When did Nissan release the 2018 and then the 2019 Leaf?

Yah. I checked with my sales guy who is all things Leaf and EV in general. Not a peep...or nothing that he is letting slip. He trades in his Leaf every two years. He would probably be in the know.

Sigh. Our new 2020 is supposed to arrive 1st week of March.

Two years is about my plan too, especially in the hot climate I'm in. I know I can claim our FED tax credit every year if I wanted to but others such as our state rebate you are suppose to hold onto the car for a couple years.

If they say March then that sounds like the release date. It would be nice for someone to comment on past release months for the Leaf.

Not new on the 2020 Leaf but Nissan's upcoming crossover.

"Nissan will position its next EV above the Leaf, though it won’t be a premium model dropped into the arena Audi, Mercedes-Benz, and Jaguar are fighting in. "

"it will cost considerably more"

Translation: It will cost more than the LEaf, and with that range, I assume the leaf Plus.

Would you pay a starting price of 45k+ for it with 300 miles of range?
Would you if it still did not have thermal management in the BMS?

In those price ranges you can look at nicely equipped model 3 or Y, and Musk has hinted their truck will start around 49k.
Of course the tax credits are different.

Recent news is showing most Tesla's have only slight degradation after 100k.
I think we all know that is NOT true of Nissan.

Anyway, see below.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/electric-nissan-leaf-based-suv-scheduled-for-2021-release/

Back