GCC: Study finds damage due to premature mortality from PM2.5 decreased >20% from 2008 to 2014

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/10/20191007-pm25.html

This is for the U.S. Agriculture has passed electricity as the major source of PM 2.5 damage, presumably due to retirement/filtration of coal plants, and that much if not most Ag equipment operates with little or no emission controls. Unfortunately the article's behind a paywall, so I can't confirm my supposition.

Wild fire pm is easy tor reduce. Allow responsible forestry to be conducted to include controlled burns.

Oilpan4 said:
Wild fire pm is easy tor reduce. Allow responsible forestry to be conducted to include controlled burns.

When the climate's changing, controlled burns may not do it. As I've pointed out before, California's had controlled burns for a long time, but then we also had the worst five-year drought in the climactic record, that put enormous amounts of dead, dry fuel on the ground. Add to that the utilities had cut back on routine tree-trimming (not the first time this has happened) and you get infernos like the Tubbs (yesterday was the two-year anniversary) and Camp fires, or the current band-aid of PG&E doing precautionary power shutdowns for around 800.000 customers. They've moved my county's shutdown back from 12 noon to 8 p.m., but it all depends on what the winds do,

Maybe that's nature's way of telling people they should build homes out of stuff that burns around those parts.

T25 sheathed stick built home with an asphalt shingle roof built right up against semidessert scrub brush may not be the best plan.

GRA said:
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/10/20191007-pm25.html

This is for the U.S. Agriculture has passed electricity as the major source of PM 2.5 damage, presumably due to retirement/filtration of coal plants, and that much if not most Ag equipment operates with little or no emission controls. Unfortunately the article's behind a paywall, so I can't confirm my supposition.

Here's the appendix, fwiw https://www.pnas.org/content/pnas/suppl/2019/09/05/1905030116.DCSupplemental/pnas.1905030116.sapp.pdf

Oilpan4 said:
Maybe that's nature's way of telling people they should build homes out of stuff that burns around those parts.
I think you mean that doesn't burn. Like bricks and concrete tiles. This photo was from yesterday [ edit: the fire was the day before, or 1 before that ] ; it's still over 6 weeks till the start of summer here in Australia.

11585030-3x2-700x467.jpg

Shouldn't got turned into should by the auto correct. But you see where I'm going.

When they rebuild out of stuff that easily burns it's doing the same thing and expecting a different result. Some people call it insanity.

Like the house in the picture. Brick good. Tile roof is ok. But the ones I have seen still use tar felt between layers of tiles and foam insulation under it all. In the US the insulting foam won't burn unless it's held to a flame but the tar dipped felt will burn.
I don't know how they do tile roofs in other parts.
Vehicles will burn almost like setting a house on fire even with out any fuel in the tank.

Back