Volta building free Fast charge network CCS only

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveinOlyWA

They are building 150 with one opening this weekend. They will exchange ad time for fees so you get the first 30 minutes free. 50 and 100 KW stations. When asked, Volta chairman stated that there should only be one format which is why they made the "not past the end of the nose" decision.

Guess Tesla and Nissan (among others) will not be visiting. That leaves the other 20% of EVs though...

The Volta stations around us are L2 only at the Malls. The free power is nice, but in general think it’s better if there is at least a nominal charge. It reduces the charge only because it’s free traffic.

An L3 free is not a great idea for retail, as you will want to leave the store after 20 minutes to move your car and not continue to shop.

The underlying notion here is that enough new business will come to these upscale malls from EV owners who want to DC charge while they shop to make it worthwhile for the store owners. It might pay off in big cities where a future substantial CCS car ownership exists that does not have work or home destination charging.

Perhaps ... but it is going to be a magnet for free-loaders who charge and leave. And I doubt it will have enough scale to provide confident access to charging for the people who are actually willing to pay. As for the OP, I am not surprised that CHAdeMO is ignored, and I doubt Tesla car ownership much care. I certainly do not. I am however amused by the attempt to adopt Tesla into the CHAdeMO camp. :lol: :lol: :lol:

This entire question of EV charging in cities for people without home/work access is tricky and I personally am skeptical of the Volta approach. The only solution I have read about and thought makes good sense is in Europe where they widely deploy L2 via street light posts.

Eventually, SC will be capable enough to cover a greater share of Tesla's need but until I go an entire week w/o seeing a Tesla hooked up to chademo, I will continue to "lump Tesla" in.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Eventually, SC will be capable enough to cover a greater share of Tesla's need but until I go an entire week w/o seeing a Tesla hooked up to chademo, I will continue to "lump Tesla" in.
You should realize that the Tesla you are seeing is either a free-loader or at a place without nearby supercharging -- neither of which will apply in a positive way to the Volta scheme in big cities. Just for kicks though, I am going to ask the ~ 50 people that attend our local Tesla Owners group to raise a hand if they own a CHAdeMO adapter. I say none; what is your guess ?

Or perhaps you think that a couple Tesla a week is going to make the Volta scheme a smart business decision for the mall ? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just be reasonable, and lump 0.005% of Tesla USA with the CHAdeMO camp.

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
You should realize that the Tesla you are seeing is either a free-loader or at a place without nearby supercharging -- neither of which will apply in a positive way to the Volta scheme in big cities. Just for kicks though, I am going to ask the ~ 50 people that attend our local Tesla Owners group to raise a hand if they own a CHAdeMO adapter. I say none; what is your guess ?

Or perhaps you think that a couple Tesla a week is going to make the Volta scheme a smart business decision for the mall ? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just be reasonable, and lump 0.005% of Tesla USA with the CHAdeMO camp.

The answer will undoubtedly be in direct correlation to the # of Chademo stations in your area. Here I have Blink and Webasto; two chademo only networks so the tilt is quite extreme here. SC broke ground in Auburn this week (or so) which goes a long way towards "greening" the charging desert in my area but still have a ways to go.

As always; YMMV

DaveinOlyWA said:
The answer will undoubtedly be in direct correlation to the # of Chademo stations in your area.
I think it is much more important whether Superchargers are convenient.

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
The answer will undoubtedly be in direct correlation to the # of Chademo stations in your area.

Sadly, the Olympia location is now 2 years overdue and the Tacoma location is a year overdue. Auburn helps but only covers 1/3rd of the gap.

DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Sadly, the Olympia location is now 2 years overdue and the Tacoma location is a year overdue. Auburn helps but only covers 1/3rd of the gap.
Your incessant whining about the lack of Supercharger coverage in the Greater Seattle area is ridiculous. It is a whopping 60 miles between Olympia and Seattle , but you think 3 more locations are needed for the route.

Tesla cars are not markedly degraded 24 kWh LEAFs that charge at 30 kW. It is way past time for you to catch up to reality.

Reality check: there are already SIX supercharger locations in the greater Seattle area that spans about 130 miles N-S from Arlington to Olympia.

Back