Juicebox can charge to a specific battery percentage

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WLJ

From my house to the main road is a 2000' descent in 3.5 miles, so I try to limit my battery charge to about 85% in order to have adequate regen braking. Up until now I have been using the onboard charge timer which is inconvenient to use, but I recently took delivery of a Juicebox 40 Pro which my local electrical utility was giving away free to EV owners. With a wifi connection and an android, IOS, or PC app I can specify the percentage of battery charge I want, and the charger will shut off when it reaches that limit. The desired limit remains set, but the remaining battery percentage must be entered in the app before each charging session; not perfect, but much easier to use than the onboard timer. I highly recommend this product, especially if you can get if free from your electrical utility.

This sounds like the JuiceBox (JB) is shutting off after a preset *amount* of energy is sent to the car. If so, the app must be calculating or is told the energy/% ratio. That varies by battery temperature and degradation.

SageBrush said:
This sounds like the JuiceBox (JB) is shutting off after a preset *amount* of energy is sent to the car. If so, the app must be calculating or is told the energy/% ratio. That varies by battery temperature and degradation.

It is. One puts in battery size, max charging rate etc. It takes a few times of adjustments to get it right but then it works pretty good. You can store multiple car profiles etc if you have more than one car. We are able to get within about 5 percent of the requested percentage. Eg. We select charge to 80 percent it seems to stop around 85 ish. However, once it’s done it’s done. So if your climate control is set to come on at 07:30 and the charge is done (our case) the climate control is drawing from the battery. We just use timers on the leaf. Set and forget. Works well. The leaf gets plugged in every night on our 3 Kw clipper creek. It charges from 1 to 3 every morning which fills the days needs. It’s always charged between 60 and 70 percent this way. Climate control comes on at 07:30. I’m in the car at 07:45. Steering wheel and seats are warm and windows defrosted. Rinse and repeat. We use the app to top it up or get it warm for more unpredictable weekends etc.

SageBrush said:
Can the JB get any battery information from the LEAF ?
Doubtful given that there's nothing in the J1772 protocol/standard for the vehicle to tell the EVSE the battery's condition or state of charge.

You can't provide battery info directly from the leaf. But you can give it the following info.

48893831742_ccb4377f5f_c.jpg

This is how it works. The next screen shows the desired input.

Lets say you arrive home with 45 kilometers remaining as indicated. You want to charge it up but not to max 184 km. (varies. In summer more like 195) You choose 150 as that is around 85 percent...ish. You just rotate the top and bottom numbers with your finger to what you want and you are done. If it is off to much one way or the other you can play with the efficiency on the previous screen etc. After a few charges you kinda find the g-spot and you don't have to go back to that screen. Its pretty reliable and easy to use. And no more charging to 100 percent...unless of course you want to.

Reality is we rarely use this on the leaf as we use the timers on the car. The leaf is parked outside and the smart is parked inside. We use it on the smart EV every time. But its inside and never needs to be pre-warmed...or cooled.. Not so with the leaf as we use the pre-warm pretty much from october 1st on so the timers in the leaf are much handier.

48893114453_e10582eea6_c.jpg

Our Juice box is almost 5 years old. The new ones look much cooler and probably have new software.

43426311681_4486cb8ba7_c.jpg

^^ NICE recycling system !

Thanks for the info about the JB. The main issue I see is having to know LEAF state information from the end of the last drive.

SageBrush said:
^^ NICE recycling system !

Thanks for the info about the JB. The main issue I see is having to know LEAF state information from the end of the last drive.

Yep. That’s a thing. Not so much with the smart. Just hit unlock on the fob and the charge indicator shows.

The Juicebox has been a rock though. Zero problems.

Back