Tesla Charging Station Adapter?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
powersurge said:
I think that this whole issue of who owns a charger is ridiculous. Most public charging including chargepoint is free. The end result of using chargers that are not locked behind a gate is that people will use them, and by extension, more EVs will be made and bought.

We gain nothing by arguing who owns the land, the equipment, or the electricity.
Says the free-loader.

webeleafowners said:
WetEV said:
Zythryn said:
A private company provides hardware to another private company to service their mutual customers.
Somehow you think people that aren't customers should be able to charge using a third party adapter and you think THEY have a privileged attitude???

Backwards.

If Tesla wants Tesla only charging stations, fine, then Tesla drivers need to use those stations, and not the limited public charging. Especially when they misuse the public charging, for parking spots and unplugging cars that are charging.

"What's mine is mine, what is yours we will share." Doesn't that attitude bother you?

Or think about this. You arrive late at night at a hotel in a non-Tesla electric, and there are two charging stations. A J1772 with a Tesla charging, and a Tesla only station that is vacant.

Happened to us last year at predator ridge.

]
24302024558_c70e11972f_c.jpg
You took the time to take the picture. Did you talk to the manager about who owned the Telsa and if they might be willing to switch chargers?

powersurge said:
I think that this whole issue of who owns a charger is ridiculous. Most public charging including chargepoint is free. The end result of using chargers that are not locked behind a gate is that people will use them, and by extension, more EVs will be made and bought.

We gain nothing by arguing who owns the land, the equipment, or the electricity.
Here in San Diego free charging spots are few and far between. The only free chargers I've seen are VOLTA units and they're occupied nearly all the time. The NCTC program has ended and the remaining cards are expiring. I usually charge at an EVGO when necessary and usually no longer than enough to get me home safely. EVGO charges $.30/min for DCFC and $1.50/hr for level 2 if I remember right. I'm on solar so I'd much rather charge at home.

IF someone is giving away electricity for EV charging, it does matter who they are. Generally speaking it's the business owner who's paying for it and they're doing it to attract business. EV owners are perceived to to be eco-conscious and generally wealthier and some businesses cater to that. They don't care what EV you drive, just that it's likely you fit their demographic.

johnlocke said:
webeleafowners said:
WetEV said:
Backwards.

If Tesla wants Tesla only charging stations, fine, then Tesla drivers need to use those stations, and not the limited public charging. Especially when they misuse the public charging, for parking spots and unplugging cars that are charging.

"What's mine is mine, what is yours we will share." Doesn't that attitude bother you?

Or think about this. You arrive late at night at a hotel in a non-Tesla electric, and there are two charging stations. A J1772 with a Tesla charging, and a Tesla only station that is vacant.

Happened to us last year at predator ridge.

]
24302024558_c70e11972f_c.jpg
You took the time to take the picture. Did you talk to the manager about who owned the Telsa and if they might be willing to switch chargers?

Nope. Golf course so.... We had enough charge to get back home. Would have been nice to top up a bit over lunch though. This guy is here a lot. He kinda uses it as his personal parking spot. I don’t think he is an employee. Sometimes he is in the Tesla spot. Sometimes on the clipper creek. Meh. If we were desperate we would have used our adapter. We seldom are. ( desperate ). But the adapter is handy to have....just in case. :). First world problems. :)

webeleafowners said:
Golf course ...
Sometimes he is in the Tesla spot. Sometimes on the Clipper Creek.
Then park in the Tesla spot, unplug the J1772 from his adapter, and plug it into your car to charge. Take the HPWC (Tesla) cord and drape it over the J17772 adapter still attached to his car. This way when he comes back, he can unplug the adapter and plug in to the HPWC.

I'd also leave a polite note for him telling him you needed to charge on the J1772 (and maybe asking him to use the HPWC in the future).

jlv said:
webeleafowners said:
Golf course ...
Then park in the Tesla spot, unplug the J1772 from his adapter, and plug it into your car to charge. Take the HPWC (Tesla) cord and drape it over the J17772 adapter still attached to his car. This way when he comes back, he can unplug the adapter and plug in to the HPWC.

I'd also leave a polite note for him telling him you needed to charge on the J1772 (and maybe asking him to use the HPWC in the future).

I wouldn't unplug anyone's car while charging. That is just rude.

SageBrush said:
Says the free-loader.

So someone pulls up to an exclusive, expensive hotel, checks in, and pays for a week. His car needs a charge, so he asks where the chargers are. He pulls his car around to them, and the J1772s are all taken, but there are several Destination chargers available, and one has a adapter already mounted on it. He goes to plug into his car, and a sage bush screams at him.

"GARAREAATAGAGH!!!STOP!!!"

"Excuse me, I haven't had a plant talk to me since the Grateful Dead Concert in 1978....could you please repeat that?"

"YOU FREE-LOADER!STOP!!!!!"

"Ah, I just paid $3270.64 for a weeks stay...Odd definition of free-loader you are using."

"YOU FREE-LOADER! STOP! ST ELON COMMANDS IT!!!"

"Funny, the last plant told me that Saint Stephen with a rose In and out of the garden he goes...And the visuals were far better. Could you please try harder?"

(Edit: Typo corrected)
...To be continued...

jlv said:
webeleafowners said:
Golf course ...

The J1772 may have been their only option at the time they parked. I'd certainly not disconnect them without knowing.

I purchased the 80 Amp Tesla Tap and drove to a hotel with both Tesla Destination and J1772 chargers. It connected well with the Destination charger and our Leaf.

There was no smoke and the rate of charge was about the same as the Free J1772's at the Ford dealership. Tesla's ship with the J1772 adapter I have read.

After adding 6 miles I put the Telas Tap back into my truck and hope I never need it.

Back