'19 or '20

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HRTKD

My '15 Leaf S was totaled and I'm looking to buy a new one. I looked at the '19 SV Plus and drove it. It's much better than my '15. Since it's late in the model year, should I wait for a '20? I don't know what changes are coming for the '20 model year. Any clues you can pass my way?

It looks to me like Nissan is going to introduce the all new Leaf III either in 2021, or late in '20. That would be the time to look for discounting on the current leaf ePlus. The best deals then will likely be on the '19 40kwh Leaf "Too."

According to the dealer I spoke to, The 20 will be identical to the 19. New model in 21 but I'm not sure if the changes will be significant. It's possible that Nissan will slot in a new model just above the current Leaf +. It would most likely be a crossover.

I can wait a month or maybe a few weeks. I'm not waiting for '21. I'm stuck driving a 2002 Subaru Outback with a standard transmission and a 4 cylinder engine. Gutless is the kindest way I can describe it.

If you buy now, you get to start driving electric again now and you get the tax credit when you file taxes next year (assuming you qualify) instead of waiting a year. Since there has been little information about the 2020 models, I doubt there will be much change.

GerryAZ said:
If you buy now, you get to start driving electric again now and you get the tax credit when you file taxes next year (assuming you qualify) instead of waiting a year. Since there has been little information about the 2020 models, I doubt there will be much change.

True enough

Or if you are looking for a bigger discount, shop the 2019's right when the 2020's come out. I got a leftover 2018 when 2019's were out for a big discount. Might depend on where you live though. In the Los Angeles greater area 2019 SL plus's are starting about 4k under MSRP before you negotiate.

Given there aren't any compelling new features in the 2020 model, I'll continue with the purchase process of the 2019. I'm not in any hurry though. I'm still waiting for the insurance to pay me for the totaled '15 Leaf.

The lack of a discount is strange. Maybe they aren't dealing because they're relying on the (generous) rebates to sell the car?

HRTKD said:
Given there aren't any compelling new features in the 2020 model, I'll continue with the purchase process of the 2019. I'm not in any hurry though. I'm still waiting for the insurance to pay me for the totaled '15 Leaf.

The lack of a discount is strange. Maybe they aren't dealing because they're relying on the (generous) rebates to sell the car?

Or maybe because they have a 6 month waiting list in Canada. At our dealer, their allotment of 2020 SL Epluses is all pre-sold for 2020.

webeleafowners said:
Or maybe because they have a 6 month waiting list in Canada. At our dealer, their allotment of 2020 SL Epluses is all pre-sold for 2020.

Ah, I hadn't considered that there would be a full order queue. I have one on hold, so it should be available.

I see that you have a diesel motorhome. My F-350 is diesel. Love the power. On the Ford truck forum there was a recent thread asking when the Superduty series would go electric. It was mostly the camping and freight business owners arguing that a 100% electric heavy duty pickup truck is a long ways off, despite the claims of Rivian. I imagine the same could be said of motorhomes, though there's a lot more surface area on which to install solar for a motorhome than a pickup. My RV trailer has solar and it works great for me, but I sure like having the generator there, just in case.

HRTKD said:
webeleafowners said:

Ah, I hadn't considered that there would be a full order queue. I have one on hold, so it should be available.

I see that you have a diesel motorhome. My F-350 is diesel. Love the power. On the Ford truck forum there was a recent thread asking when the Superduty series would go electric. It was mostly the camping and freight business owners arguing that a 100% electric heavy duty pickup truck is a long ways off, despite the claims of Rivian. I imagine the same could be said of motorhomes, though there's a lot more surface area on which to install solar for a motorhome than a pickup. My RV trailer has solar and it works great for me, but I sure like having the generator there, just in case.

Yepir. We have a 7.5 K diesel generator on board and 800 watts of solar on the roof. As long as the sun shines there is no need for the genny. But a couple of days of bad weather and the 8 x 6 volt batteries start to fade away. Ours has a residential fridge so a little more load than normal.

I think the first Electric motorhomes will be super C’s around 28 feet long with full wall slides. Dual solar covered deplorable awnings would be cool. My guess within 7 years this kind of thing will be available...and probably built on a Tesla semi chassis.

Jmho

Back