After 8.5 years of driving and 95K miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trentr

I still have my LEAF that I bought in April of 2011. No issues to report except for battery degradation. See the images below. If I'm reading it correctly, I think I lost ~55% in 8.5 years. The car is still usable for the most part to pick up kids in school, kid's activities, etc. The max distance is now down to about 35 miles. I'm not really sure what to do with the car when the distance becomes ridiculously low. I will probably just donate it. The battery replacement is very expensive at $8K. I would rather buy a used Chevy Spark for $6.5K with a better battery. Anyway, this will be my last Nissan.

U1IM2pq.jpg

Ut3SFJM.jpg

trentr said:
The battery replacement is very expensive at $8K. I would rather buy a used Chevy Spark for $6.5K with a better battery. Anyway, this will be my last Nissan.

I think it's pretty telling that you have had a car for 8 years with basically no maintenance, no issues, etc, and you're unsatisfied to the point that you won't buy another Nissan. This really tells to how foolish it was for Nissan to screw over the early adopters. Even if they'd left the battery replacement at $5500, you'd probably still be "happy".

Lothsahn said:
trentr said:
The battery replacement is very expensive at $8K. I would rather buy a used Chevy Spark for $6.5K with a better battery. Anyway, this will be my last Nissan.

I think it's pretty telling that you have had a car for 8 years with basically no maintenance, no issues, etc, and you're unsatisfied to the point that you won't buy another Nissan. This really tells to how foolish it was for Nissan to screw over the early adopters. Even if they'd left the battery replacement at $5500, you'd probably still be "happy".
Once upon a time there was widespread optimism that as time passed Nissan would bless their early adopters with higher capacity battery replacements at $/kWh prices that kept pace with price drops to the manufacturers.

Instead we have disposable, throw away cars. Clearly Nissan could not care less, but I sometimes wonder if they even have a clue just how badly they broke faith with the environmental crowd that got them started.

I am at 89000 miles and lost 40%. It still does the RT to vanpool and in summer I would dare to do the 30 hilly miles to work with the hope I can charge there. I was hoping for a battery upgrade. But I end up picking up a used Model S P85 for weekend drive and RT to work. 90% of the time, for work, I still use the Leaf to go to vanpool.

camasleaf said:
I am at 89000 miles and lost 40%. It still does the RT to vanpool and in summer I would dare to do the 30 hilly miles to work with the hope I can charge there. I was hoping for a battery upgrade. But I end up picking up a used Model S P85 for weekend drive and RT to work. 90% of the time, for work, I still use the Leaf to go to vanpool.

Quick question... I see you have a honda clarity... How has that been compared to the Leaf?

Back