The 40KWH Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
golfcart said:
I really don't think it matters much, check however often y'all see fit. A long term linear trend line will pretty much get rid of any seasonal noise anyways for our needs we are just looking for overall trends. I just think it is interesting to check, it really isn't a hassle. What does it take? 45 seconds to hook up the dongle and connect with the app?

Well, normally I would agree but this is hardly a normal pack. Leave it Nissan to be a bit strange.

DaveinOlyWA said:
golfcart said:
I really don't think it matters much, check however often y'all see fit. A long term linear trend line will pretty much get rid of any seasonal noise anyways for our needs we are just looking for overall trends. I just think it is interesting to check, it really isn't a hassle. What does it take? 45 seconds to hook up the dongle and connect with the app?

Well, normally I would agree but this is hardly a normal pack. Leave it Nissan to be a bit strange.

For sure.

The whole 3 month adjustment thing is odd. It may be meaningless to have the extra data in the LONG run but in the short run its interesting to see what their software is doing.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Any 2018 Leafs lose a capacity bar yet?

Not very likely. An informal poll I did in August for owners of at least 15 months or more.

Miles; 8500 to 41,000

Ahr; 110 to 106

SOH; 93 to 91

This covered cars in all areas of the WORLD living in all kinds of weather conditions. IOW; we are essentially all the same.

I picked the 15 month time for ownership because it seems like the 90 day adjustments only lasted 18 months (or adjustments) from birth. Now most only check their pack occasionally including some who use LEAF Spy a lot but simply don't notice or record their pack numbers.

I now have 4 other people who are way overdue for their 7th adjustment. FYI; my 6th adjustment (along with others) went up. It is almost as if it took the BMS that long to determine an algorithm for our driving/charging habits? I know not possible... but I no longer consider the :likely" or the "probably" when Nissan is involved...

As for my pack? If Hx wasn't changing daily (has risen 12 days in a row) I would think my LEAF Spy simply stopped working as ahr and SOH hasn't moved in weeks. Up till now, never went more than 5 days without a change and the norm is a change every 2-3 days if not daily.

The high mileage guy is another Washingtonian who is at "around" (numbers move fast for him) 52,000 with stats just below mine (24,600 miles) but he is trading up to a Plus which he will take delivery of this week. He has LEAF Spy but only checks monthly. Guessing his rate of degradation dropped way off after 18 months (from build date) as well but we shall see.

I've only got about 2500 miles on my 2018 and it is already at 93.18%

But the decrease has dramatically slowed now that the weather has cooled down.

My next three month adjustment, if there will be one, will be around Dec 12th.

The 15 months is an interesting idea, but in my case the car sat around on a dealer lot for likely 12 months or more, so does that count?

I have a 2018 and do not check that often to see if the rapid drops have decreased... but I am currently at the following:

Kilometers/Miles; 35500/22116

Ahr; 104.6

SOH; 90.61

hoping I do not reach the 80's anytime soon.

nightleaf said:
I have a 2018 and do not check that often to see if the rapid drops have decreased... but I am currently at the following:

Kilometers/Miles; 35500/22116

Ahr; 104.6

SOH; 90.61

hoping I do not reach the 80's anytime soon.

Crap. And you're in Canada right?

Are 90 day adjustments based on assembly date or set up date? (When they stick the SD card into the car)

Does "anyone" have that data? In my case, it appears its manufacture date since mine was 01/18 and first adjustment happened 04/18

The 15 months is an interesting idea, but in my case the car sat around on a dealer lot for likely 12 months or more, so does that count?

What was your starting SOH? All the cars I have seen came off the lot new between 99.44 and 99.7ish% a very small range.

Did cell chemistry change much between 2015 and 2018?

Several times

Something changed.
It took almost 4 years for my 2014 battery to hit 90%.

Due to the extreme change in LEAF Spy readings, I say a lot has to do with SW changes. But Nissan has continuously changed the chemistry. You can't more than double the size of the pack on essentially the same frame

rogersleaf said:
rogersleaf said:
Mine passed the 5000 mile mark yesterday, 10 weeks of ownership.

LS stats:
AHr... 113.65
SOH... 98.45%
Hx... 115.83%
SOC... 99.2% and 498 GID
403.61v, cells balanced between 4.202-4.206v
odo... 5009
5 QC / 147 L2’s

Should add that L2’s are typically done overnight with charge timers set to not fully charge before I leave in the morning. The car rarely sits on full charge and have yet to reach LBW.
Reached 10,000 miles at 1 week short of 5 month ownership.

LS stats:
AHr... 111.16
SOH... 96.29%
Hx... 115.17%
SOC... 98.8% and 486 GID
403.75v, cells balanced between 4.202-4.206v
odo... 10002
7 QC / 269 L2’s

At 15,000 miles at 1 week past 7 months ownership

LS stats:
AHr... 109.9
SOH... 95.2%
Hx... 115.38%
SOC... 98.6% and 479 GID
403.47v, cells balanced between 4.201-4.206v
odo... 15118
8 QC / 390 L2’s

rogersleaf said:
rogersleaf said:
rogersleaf said:
Mine passed the 5000 mile mark yesterday, 10 weeks of ownership.

LS stats:
AHr... 113.65
SOH... 98.45%
Hx... 115.83%
SOC... 99.2% and 498 GID
403.61v, cells balanced between 4.202-4.206v
odo... 5009
5 QC / 147 L2’s

Should add that L2’s are typically done overnight with charge timers set to not fully charge before I leave in the morning. The car rarely sits on full charge and have yet to reach LBW.

LS stats:
AHr... 111.16
SOH... 96.29%
Hx... 115.17%
SOC... 98.8% and 486 GID
odo... 10002
7 QC / 269 L2’s

LS stats:
AHr... 109.9
SOH... 95.2%
Hx... 115.38%
SOC... 98.6% and 479 GID
odo... 15118
8 QC / 390 L2’s

@ 15k, your stats are better than mine (107.42/93.05/120.21 @ 15,019.3 miles)

BUT...

@ 14,900.1 I am close; 109.21/94.39/120.13 :cool:

FYI; your full charge stats are somewhat "shocking" I would tell you mine but mine hasn't been north of 85% in a while...

AND....

Since then, my degradation has slowed "a bit" Now at 24,900 and ahr 106.50 so less than 1% over last 10 K miles.

DaveinOlyWA said:
rogersleaf said:
rogersleaf said:

LS stats:
AHr... 111.16
SOH... 96.29%
Hx... 115.17%
SOC... 98.8% and 486 GID
odo... 10002
7 QC / 269 L2’s

LS stats:
AHr... 109.9
SOH... 95.2%
Hx... 115.38%
SOC... 98.6% and 479 GID
odo... 15118
8 QC / 390 L2’s

BUT...

FYI; your full charge stats are somewhat "shocking" I would tell you mine but mine hasn't been north of 85% in a while...

AND....

Since then, my degradation has slowed "a bit" Now at 24,900 and ahr 106.50 so less than 1% over last 10 K miles.
My own intuitive feeling is the rate of degradation is slowing but only time will tell. I can tell by your blog writings that you venture away from home more and DCFC much more that I do. The vast majority of my mileage is mostly commuting which takes @ 55-60% of the battery capacity depending on route, traffic, weather, etc... so easily keep it between 80% and 20%. Mine is charged almost exclusively at home, overnight after resting several hours following the commute, and rarely gets past 85-90%. So in other words, the 40kWh battery is likely sized just about right for my needs.

Also noticed that the L2 taper point is @ 90%, not 80% like my old 24kWh leaf so it's more difficult to time unplugging at 80% and almost always overshoot and get 85-90%. Mine was in shop yesterday for a tire rotation and they did 2 recalls (battery ground and something with the rear camera). I did not ask for the rapidgate fix because I rarely DCFC and don't intend to road trip with this car.

rogersleaf said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
rogersleaf said:

LS stats:
AHr... 109.9
SOH... 95.2%
Hx... 115.38%
SOC... 98.6% and 479 GID
odo... 15118
8 QC / 390 L2’s

BUT...

AND....

My own intuitive feeling is the rate of degradation is slowing but only time will tell. I can tell by your blog writings that you venture away from home more and DCFC much more that I do. The vast majority of my mileage is mostly commuting which takes @ 55-60% of the battery capacity depending on route, traffic, weather, etc... so easily keep it between 80% and 20%. Mine is charged almost exclusively at home, overnight after resting several hours following the commute, and rarely gets past 85-90%. So in other words, the 40kWh battery is likely sized just about right for my needs.

Also noticed that the L2 taper point is @ 90%, not 80% like my old 24kWh leaf so it's more difficult to time unplugging at 80% and almost always overshoot and get 85-90%. Mine was in shop yesterday for a tire rotation and they did 2 recalls (battery ground and something with the rear camera). I did not ask for the rapidgate fix because I rarely DCFC and don't intend to road trip with this car.

Road tripping is something I have wondered about as I didn't do any this year (under 400 miles doesn't count) and my daily commute is 25 miles so I pretty much live between 20 and 70% most of the time. My pack does get hotter because I rarely leave home over 70% and the last few times out that I QC'd more than twice, I left home under 50%.

Now last year, I think I only barely touched 10 temperature bars because the charge was so throttled but this year, I have hit 11 a half dozen times so not sure why my degradation has stopped. Now we are into Winter where most people's degradation slows way down. Mine never has but I contribute that to mostly mild Winters I experience but at the same time, my degradation has not been extreme excepting the first 15 months on my 2018

DaveinOlyWA said:
rogersleaf said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

BUT...

AND....

Road tripping is something I have wondered about as I didn't do any this year (under 400 miles doesn't count) and my daily commute is 25 miles so I pretty much live between 20 and 70% most of the time. My pack does get hotter because I rarely leave home over 70% and the last few times out that I QC'd more than twice, I left home under 50%.

Now last year, I think I only barely touched 10 temperature bars because the charge was so throttled but this year, I have hit 11 a half dozen times so not sure why my degradation has stopped. Now we are into Winter where most people's degradation slows way down. Mine never has but I contribute that to mostly mild Winters I experience but at the same time, my degradation has not been extreme excepting the first 15 months on my 2018

Wow. 11 bars. And I got freaked when mine hit 8 after a couple of DCFC’s. It rarely goes above 6. Think I’ll stop worrying. Lol.

webeleafowners said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
rogersleaf said:

Wow. 11 bars. And I got freaked when mine hit 8 after a couple of DCFC’s. It rarely goes above 6. Think I’ll stop worrying. Lol.

I won't go so far as to say heat is nothing to worry about but you do more damage charging your car to full. But its all about the car filling the role you paid the big bucks for. Charge management seems to be a big hassle for an alarming number of people and Nissan helps with offering zero options. But its not that tough. If you are taking a long trip, sure charge it up but leave when the charging is done. It ain't rocket science. Your pack suffered but its like ripping the bandaid off. It was painful but it was brief.

But in the grand scheme of things; my 40 kwh pack is the least predictable of the 4 I've had so I have really no clue what will be true 6 months from now so as always; we shall see.

DaveinOlyWA said:
webeleafowners said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

I won't go so far as to say heat is nothing to worry about but you do more damage charging your car to full. But its all about the car filling the role you paid the big bucks for. Charge management seems to be a big hassle for an alarming number of people and Nissan helps with offering zero options. But its not that tough. If you are taking a long trip, sure charge it up but leave when the charging is done. It ain't rocket science. Your pack suffered but its like ripping the bandaid off. It was painful but it was brief.

But in the grand scheme of things; my 40 kwh pack is the least predictable of the 4 I've had so I have really no clue what will be true 6 months from now so as always; we shall see.

I hear ya Dave. We use the charge timer every day to charge between 1 and 3 in the morning. 240 volt 15 amp clipper creek. Puts in 6 kw every day. Covers my daily driving needs. Usually about 50 percent when I get home and around 70 percent when I leave. Once a month we do a road trip of about 220 km. We charge to full overnight and leave in the morning. A fast charge in the afternoon and back home. The car is freakin bullet proof. No idea on battery health as I don’t have plug share. We have all 12 bars though. 2016 SV 30Kwh.

Back