TSLA corporate outlook

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tesla is going to be making most of their vehicles in China for that market, at least the by far most popular Model 3. So the impact of tariffs would be mitigated greatly either way.

Stock getting hammered today, down 5%+ currently. Not sure how much of this is due to sketchy Solarcity stuff or just insistence on being unprofitable.

It's going sub 200 before it sees $300 again--if it ever does. Demand has crated on the model 3.

https://articles2.marketrealist.com/2019/09/why-tesla-seems-to-be-struggling-with-q3-deliveries/

Earlier this month, InsideEVs reported that according to its estimates, Tesla delivered 13,150 Model 3 cars in the United States in August. In comparison, it delivered 13,450 cars in July and 21,225 cars in June.

it is getting hammered today due to the uncertainty in the china market due to the implosion of NIO, and their blaming it on the china market rather than on their business model. Rightly so, it makes investors a bit nervous. I don't think that the EV market is cratering as you say. The entire auto market is, and the EV share if following along, but Tesla sales are strong in relation to the overall auto market, which is a good sign. I don't think we will see $200 again before $300 unless there is a general market crash that brings it down with the market as a whole. I think the attempted market manipulations with TSLA are about over and that the stock should settle down. I believe it will remain more volatile than most, but less volatile than it has been.

palmermd said:
it is getting hammered today due to the uncertainty in the china market due to the implosion of NIO, and their blaming it on the china market rather than on their business model. Rightly so, it makes investors a bit nervous. I don't think that the EV market is cratering as you say. The entire auto market is, and the EV share if following along, but Tesla sales are strong in relation to the overall auto market, which is a good sign. I don't think we will see $200 again before $300 unless there is a general market crash that brings it down with the market as a whole. I think the attempted market manipulations with TSLA are about over and that the stock should settle down. I believe it will remain more volatile than most, but less volatile than it has been.
I did not say the EV market is cratering...

palmermd said:
My typo. I meant to say model 3 market is not cratering but is following the general auto market which is going down.
Perhaps, but everyone else is not falling as precipitously as the model 3 has, seemingly.

Really, if we look further out we can see that model 3 demand cratered last year/start of this one. Conversion of reservations to actual sales was poor, and in no time at all tesla was able to meet demand, with very short lead times on sales.

Stock down over 7% now.

I don't believe Tesla can hit $300 again without actually providing a profit and realistically guiding toward it being consistent. They are out of good will from all but the most fervent believers.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
...Stock down over 7% now.

I don't believe Tesla can hit $300 again without actually providing a profit and realistically guiding toward it being consistent. They are out of good will from all but the most fervent believers.
And today the stock is currently up 6%. Not that it means any more than it did going down two days ago. Watching the TSLA stock price can be entertaining but it has little significance unless one is a speculator.

While I am inclined to agree with you about the $300 price level, with a "momentum" (as opposed to a fundamental valuation) stock, the price movements are so irrational I wouldn't be surprised by anything.

ABG:
Trailer-load of Teslas burns in Nevada
Cause is yet undetermined, but Tesla says its cars weren't responsible
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/10/02/trailer-loaded-with-teslas-burns/

. . . Tesla told the paper that the cause of the fire was related to the carrier truck itself, not to any of the vehicles it was carrying. But Elko County Fire Protection District spokeswoman Linda Bingaman told InsideEVs that the cause of the blaze was yet to be determined. “The extreme heat generated by the fire has made it very difficult to determine the cause,” she said. “I am not sure what basis Tesla has on saying it was the carrier, so I cannot help you there.”

Autoblog has asked Tesla for comment about how it made its determination and will update this if and when we get a response. . . .

Guess we'll see. Could be a brake fire.

Tesla Sets Deliveries Record While Falling Short of Elon Musk’s Mark
Carmaker hands over 97,000 cars; CEO hinted 100,000 was doable
Revenue may drop as Model 3 gains at the expense of S and X

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-02/tesla-sets-deliveries-record-while-falling-short-of-musk-s-mark

Trailer-load of Teslas burns in Nevada
The first photo seems to show all cars except one well alight, and the one that's not alight doesn't look like a Tesla. That doesn't mean that the Teslas started the fire necessarily, but suggests pretty strongly that they passed it on faster than a car with a tank of gasoline.

Scary stuff.

It will be very interesting to know the results of the investigation.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/03/jmp-securities-downgrades-tesla-worried-this-may-be-a-demand-issue.html

“To put it another way, yesterday’s announcement was the first time since covering the stock that we found ourselves wondering whether demand growth for TSLA’s cars might be leveling off.”
The first time? I'm not even a financial analyst and this was glaringly obvious to anybody paying an iota of attention a very long time ago. Conversion from reservation to purchase was a very closely kept (and awful) secret, and lead times were measured in weeks even earlier this year. It's been the case for many months that their domestic supply could reach demand at far fewer units than they had ever hoped.

The wheels came off this company for me over a year ago. Remember: i used to be a reservation holder. All we get out of musk is rubbish. Supposedly a 1M robotaxi fleet next year, but for now their cars can even exit a garage without crashing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxoEze3UqXQ

Looks like TLSA had a pretty bang up 3rd quarter, stock is spiking massively after hours. Revenues matched expectations but earnings were what are juicing this.

Back