A Note From A Leaf Salesman

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
apvbguy said:
walkinwolk said:
it reminded me we would be supporting a company that treats it's employees poorly. I've already test driven a CR V, so I suppose that will be what we get.
you are in error, the dealerships are privately held businesses that hold franchises from Nissan. Nissan doesn't treat the salesmen poorly the owners of the dealerships do. you are misplacing your anger onto Nissan when you should be angry at individual dealerships

The corporation sets the terms and conditions under which dealerships can sell their products. If they are all requiring these surveys, it must be coming from Nissan.

walkinwolk said:
apvbguy said:
walkinwolk said:
it reminded me we would be supporting a company that treats it's employees poorly. I've already test driven a CR V, so I suppose that will be what we get.
you are in error, the dealerships are privately held businesses that hold franchises from Nissan. Nissan doesn't treat the salesmen poorly the owners of the dealerships do. you are misplacing your anger onto Nissan when you should be angry at individual dealerships

The corporation sets the terms and conditions under which dealerships can sell their products. If they are all requiring these surveys, it must be coming from Nissan.
you are correct about the surveys being from nissan, however how a salesman is treated is on the dealership

there are few if any jobs that deal with customers that do not require surveys of one type or another. In my current job, we get two surveys. One is based on perception of respect, courtesy, and professionalism; IOW, a popularity poll.
The other is based on knowledge, efficiency, etc...

its funny that the higher I move in the company, the more people I have to suck up too...

You have no idea how much better this makes me feel about buying used, and probably off a corner lot !

What a coincidence that this thread popped up again. I just listened to an interesting podcast a couple of days ago where a dealership allowed a group of reporters to come in and learn about how their business works. The podcast is "This American Life", and it's the most recent episode:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/podcast" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Direct link to the .mp3 of the episode:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/podcast" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nubo said:
... I just listened to an interesting podcast a couple of days ago where a dealership allowed a group of reporters to come in and learn about how their business works. The podcast is "This American Life", and it's the most recent episode:
Really Great. Thanks Nubo.

Having spent more time at dealership charging the past eight months, it is striking how difficult it is to make a living selling cars.
There really is an art to it, which the story highlights.
One young salesman only been doing it four years always sells twice as many as all the other salespeople.
Makes $100,000 per year, while the others make $60,000.
Mind boggling :?

my dealer Nissan new rochelle, agrresively coerce me to take survey with them. and insist that i give all 10s to the survey questions. when i gave them all 8s. they call back and told me don't come back for any help with my registration problem which i paid $500 for it. and when i report it to nissan affair, they recommend me go to dmv not the dealer for my registration problem. customer is victim here

reddit2410 said:
my dealer Nissan new rochelle, agrresively coerce me to take survey with them. and insist that i give all 10s to the survey questions. when i gave them all 8s. they call back and told me don't come back for any help with my registration problem which i paid $500 for it. and when i report it to nissan affair, they recommend me go to dmv not the dealer for my registration problem. customer is victim here

Surprised you expected something different. Your survey cost them thousands of dollars and there is no do overs. Since this thread is ancient I don't know your history but you took the "no alternatives" solution.

He has only 1 post.. He's a nubie.

It was a mistake to double down and force a mediocre survey. The dealers live and die by needing to get 10/10 on the things.

He could have negotiated a free "perk" from the dealer to give a 10/10 report..

powersurge said:
He has only 1 post.. He's a nubie.

It was a mistake to double down and force a mediocre survey. The dealers live and die by needing to get 10/10 on the things.

He could have negotiated a free "perk" from the dealer to give a 10/10 report..

Yeah, having lived and died by the survey score, I can tell you from experience that almost all bad survey scores is because someone has a beef with corporate but sadly, only the foot soldier is within punching distance so they think that they are hurting Nissan by doing this when in reality those surveys are private, not public info and used ONLY to determine pay and bonus to the individual.

I retired as a Manager of Technical field Services for a high tech company.

Two things that we could loose our job for was
1- Bad Annual anonymous Employee Satisfaction survey.
2- Less than 98% Totally Satisfied Customer Sat Surveys.

As managers we could directly control #1, Employee Sat but #2, Customer Sat was controlled by the Field technicians.

I have purchased 57 new cars in 50 yeas of buying new cars since 1969. In those 50 years I have used Lemon Law twice. Even though I had a Lemon I NEVER would fill out a Customer Sat Survey anything other than ALL 10's. Even when I was dealing with the Lemon every time I got a survey I went back to the dealership and filled it out with all 10's and handed it to the Service manager to submit letting him know I supported his efforts to resolve my issue.

NOW, the only time I filled out a negative survey was when I bought a 2015 Leaf. The dealership LIED to me on several occasions. Not only did I fill out the survey negatively but I posted negative surveys on every online service I could find.

It was general knowledge at work that you should not lie to me. That is what drives me crazy with the current political climate. Lying is a way of life in the current administration.

Long posting below but this is what I posted on dealerrater.com

-----------------------------
Crown Nissan
Oct 24, 2019 - 5 STARS
JerrtR "2019 Leaf SL Plus - Excellent sales experience"

Lexus of Fort Myers
Jul 2, 2016 - 5 STARS
JerrtR "First class sales experience "

AutoNation Ford Bradenton
Mar 28, 2016 - 5 STARS
JerrtR "One if the BEST Car buying experiences ever"

Wilde Lexus Sarasota
Nov 12, 2015 - 5 STARS
JerrtR "The Best for sure"

OffLeaseOnly.com The Nation’s Used Car Destination - Orlando
Nov 3, 2015 - 5 STARS
JerrtR "Good experience"

-------------------

AND THEN THIS REVIEW FOR A NISSAN DEALER:

Sutherlin Nissan of Fort Myers
Nov 3, 2015
JerrtR "They lied to me. BEWARE OF SALES MANAGERS "

Let me start by stating this is the first negative review I've ever written.

I purchased a 2015 Nissan Leaf SL last night from them. We negotiated the deal on the phone and I drove 100+ miles to pick up the car.

When I went to Finance I was told by Julio who was doing the deal, that the interest rate was 3.99%. I asked about the 0% APR + $5,000 Cash back that was advertised for the LEAF. He told me that Nissan NEVER offers both 0% + cash back, it's one or the other and the interest rate was 3.99% which by the way added $3,999 interest to my loan over 72 months. I tried to find where I saw the advertisement on my phone but I couldn't find it at the time.

When I got home late that night I found right on the dealership's web site that I was lied to. There was a current offer for both 0% + $5k cash for a Nissan Leaf.

I called the dealership this morning and was told basically, tough luck. I WAS VERY TICKED OFF AT THE ATTITUDE OF BLAKE WHO FINALLY CALLED ME BACK TODAY AND SAID IF I WANTED 0% HE WOULD CHARGE ME $2,000 more.

I AM ALSO PO'd THAT JULIO WAS EITHER IGNORANT OF NISSAN PRIGRAMS OR HE BLATANTLY LIED TO ME WHEN HE TOLD ME THAT NISSAN NEVERS OFFERS 0% + CASH BACK. You would think that a finance manager would be knowledgable about the programs that the dealership advertised on their own web site.

Sutherlin Nissan of Fort Myers responded privately on 11/10/15 10:26 AM

Mr. R,

My name is Wade Miracle and I am the Internet Director at Sutherlin Nissan, I have read your complaint and researched your paperwork to find a signed work sheet that clearly states Must fin w/NMAC STD. RATE , the paperwork shows your signature agreeing to the Standard Rates. I am confused to why you would say things online that are not the truth and Hurt the Sales Consultants online reputation . Dan your sales consultant was very excited when he sold you the vehicle and thought you were very happy. I hope you are enjoying your vehicle and I do respectfully request that you remove your review.

Thank you
Wade Miracle

JerrtR responded privately on 11/10/15 2:46 PM

Mr. Miracle,

Thanks for replying. I will not remove the review only because of Blake’s attitude.

First, I have no issue with Dan our sales rep as I have the utmost respect for him. He was very professional and honest. I would not hesitate to purchase another car from HIM. As you notice I never mentioned him in the review.

Just to put the record straight there are no lies in my review. It is all factual.

As a customer, the only interest rate I saw published was the 0% offer and was not told that there are 2 different rates, the 0% and a 3.99% STD rate. When negotiating with Dan he asked if I would be financing with NMAC and I agreed such. He also asked me questions so that it would maximize the rebates available to me.

The issues started when Julio was creating the contract. I asked him to confirm the rate was 0% as published. He told me a flat out lie that NMAC Nissan NEVER Offers BOTH 0% and Cash back. THAT WAS THE LIE. I tried to find the offer on my iPhone but could not find it.

Yes I agreed to NMAC financing to get the maximum rebate BUT I was not told that there were two rates, 0% and a rate of 3.99% which is STD. How was I supposed to know that 3.99% and not 0% was standard for Leaf?

When I got home I found the offer. The next morning I called Julio and he told me he was not aware of a 0% + $5k cash offer. He said that the only option NMAC financing displayed on the computer was 3.99%. He asked ME to send him a fax stating such, which I did, and he would call me back after talking to the “Desk Manager”

After not hearing from Julio for 3 hours, I called Dan on his cell and asked if he would please have Julio call me back. Dan was on his way to work, and he said he would do so as soon as he got to work.

About an hour later Dan called me and asked if anyone called me back yet. I said not yet. Dan then informed me that the reason I was not given the 0% because I got such a good deal in the car. I asked Dan to please have someone higher up the chain please call me because that was unacceptable.

Blake then called me and told me I signed the deal sheet agreeing to Standard financing. I told him that Julio lied to me telling me that 0% was not available and I asked what my options were. He said that he would give the 0% option BUT ONLY if I would be willing to pay $2,000 more for the car. That was insulting. I asked Blake if I could return the car and unwind the deal. He said ABSOLUTELY NOT. I told him that I was lied to by Julio telling me they never offer 0% + Cash but all he wanted to talk about was I signed the deal sheet agreeing to standard financing.

I have no issue with Dan in Sales. When I asked him about the 0% interest rate he was honest and he told me he does not get involved in that part of the business and that I would need to speak to the Business Finance manager about rates.

My issue was with Blake’s “tough luck Mr. Customer”, attitude and Julio’s failure to know the special offers, which should be his job.

JerrtR responded privately on 11/14/15 11:26 AM

Mr. Miracle,

First off I want to once again make it clear that I have no issue with our sales rep, Dan. He was easy to deal with, was honest and very personable. I would not hesitate doing business with him or recommending him as a sales rep. When I asked Dan about the 0% interest rate he told me he does not get involved in that and I would need to discuss it with F&I.

Would you please let Julio and Blake know that I also responded to the Nissan Survey. I let them know that I was lied to at closing by telling me Nissan never offers 0% APR plus cash back and the only rate available to me was 3.99%. You can also inform them that I sent NMAC a check to pay off the NMAC loan and as of yesterday 11/12/15 the loan is paid off. This all could have been avoided had Blake's attitude been different. Had Julio really not been aware of the Leaf 0% APR offer, Blake should have called me to explain that to me and apologize for Julio's error. But instead Blake took the hard line "you signed the deal sheet where it stated STD NMAC financing, tough luck Mr. Customer and if you want 0% you need to pay us another $2,000." Now it's too late. Perhaps Blake will learn from this and be better next time. Perhaps Southerlin Nissan needs to create a Customer Recovery process in addition to Customer Satisfaction process, to handle situations when mistakes turn off customers and potentially loose them for life. I hope this is a good learning experience for your organization.

Flyct said:
I retired as a Manager of Technical field Services for a high tech company.

Two things that we could loose our job for was
1- Bad Annual anonymous Employee Satisfaction survey.
2- Less than 98% Totally Satisfied Customer Sat Surveys.

As managers we could directly control #1, Employee Sat but #2, Customer Sat was controlled by the Field technicians.

I have purchased 57 new cars in 50 yeas of buying new cars since 1969. In those 50 years I have used Lemon Law twice. Even though I had a Lemon I NEVER would fill out a Customer Sat Survey anything other than ALL 10's. Even when I was dealing with the Lemon every time I got a survey I went back to the dealership and filled it out with all 10's and handed it to the Service manager to submit letting him know I supported his efforts to resolve my issue.

NOW, the only time I filled out a negative survey was when I bought a 2015 Leaf. The dealership LIED to me on several occasions. Not only did I fill out the survey negatively but I posted negative surveys on every online service I could find.

It was general knowledge at work that you should not lie to me. That is what drives me crazy with the current political climate. Lying is a way of life in the current administration.

Long posting below but this is what I posted on dealerrater.com

-----------------------------
Crown Nissan
Oct 24, 2019 - 5 STARS
JerrtR "2019 Leaf SL Plus - Excellent sales experience"

Lexus of Fort Myers
Jul 2, 2016 - 5 STARS
JerrtR "First class sales experience "

AutoNation Ford Bradenton
Mar 28, 2016 - 5 STARS
JerrtR "One if the BEST Car buying experiences ever"

Wilde Lexus Sarasota
Nov 12, 2015 - 5 STARS
JerrtR "The Best for sure"

OffLeaseOnly.com The Nation’s Used Car Destination - Orlando
Nov 3, 2015 - 5 STARS
JerrtR "Good experience"

-------------------

AND THEN THIS REVIEW FOR A NISSAN DEALER:

Sutherlin Nissan of Fort Myers
Nov 3, 2015
JerrtR "They lied to me. BEWARE OF SALES MANAGERS "

Let me start by stating this is the first negative review I've ever written.

I purchased a 2015 Nissan Leaf SL last night from them. We negotiated the deal on the phone and I drove 100+ miles to pick up the car.

When I went to Finance I was told by Julio who was doing the deal, that the interest rate was 3.99%. I asked about the 0% APR + $5,000 Cash back that was advertised for the LEAF. He told me that Nissan NEVER offers both 0% + cash back, it's one or the other and the interest rate was 3.99% which by the way added $3,999 interest to my loan over 72 months. I tried to find where I saw the advertisement on my phone but I couldn't find it at the time.

When I got home late that night I found right on the dealership's web site that I was lied to. There was a current offer for both 0% + $5k cash for a Nissan Leaf.

I called the dealership this morning and was told basically, tough luck. I WAS VERY TICKED OFF AT THE ATTITUDE OF BLAKE WHO FINALLY CALLED ME BACK TODAY AND SAID IF I WANTED 0% HE WOULD CHARGE ME $2,000 more.

I AM ALSO PO'd THAT JULIO WAS EITHER IGNORANT OF NISSAN PRIGRAMS OR HE BLATANTLY LIED TO ME WHEN HE TOLD ME THAT NISSAN NEVERS OFFERS 0% + CASH BACK. You would think that a finance manager would be knowledgable about the programs that the dealership advertised on their own web site.

Sutherlin Nissan of Fort Myers responded privately on 11/10/15 10:26 AM

Mr. R,

My name is Wade Miracle and I am the Internet Director at Sutherlin Nissan, I have read your complaint and researched your paperwork to find a signed work sheet that clearly states Must fin w/NMAC STD. RATE , the paperwork shows your signature agreeing to the Standard Rates. I am confused to why you would say things online that are not the truth and Hurt the Sales Consultants online reputation . Dan your sales consultant was very excited when he sold you the vehicle and thought you were very happy. I hope you are enjoying your vehicle and I do respectfully request that you remove your review.

Thank you
Wade Miracle

JerrtR responded privately on 11/10/15 2:46 PM

Mr. Miracle,

Thanks for replying. I will not remove the review only because of Blake’s attitude.

First, I have no issue with Dan our sales rep as I have the utmost respect for him. He was very professional and honest. I would not hesitate to purchase another car from HIM. As you notice I never mentioned him in the review.

Just to put the record straight there are no lies in my review. It is all factual.

As a customer, the only interest rate I saw published was the 0% offer and was not told that there are 2 different rates, the 0% and a 3.99% STD rate. When negotiating with Dan he asked if I would be financing with NMAC and I agreed such. He also asked me questions so that it would maximize the rebates available to me.

The issues started when Julio was creating the contract. I asked him to confirm the rate was 0% as published. He told me a flat out lie that NMAC Nissan NEVER Offers BOTH 0% and Cash back. THAT WAS THE LIE. I tried to find the offer on my iPhone but could not find it.

Yes I agreed to NMAC financing to get the maximum rebate BUT I was not told that there were two rates, 0% and a rate of 3.99% which is STD. How was I supposed to know that 3.99% and not 0% was standard for Leaf?

When I got home I found the offer. The next morning I called Julio and he told me he was not aware of a 0% + $5k cash offer. He said that the only option NMAC financing displayed on the computer was 3.99%. He asked ME to send him a fax stating such, which I did, and he would call me back after talking to the “Desk Manager”

After not hearing from Julio for 3 hours, I called Dan on his cell and asked if he would please have Julio call me back. Dan was on his way to work, and he said he would do so as soon as he got to work.

About an hour later Dan called me and asked if anyone called me back yet. I said not yet. Dan then informed me that the reason I was not given the 0% because I got such a good deal in the car. I asked Dan to please have someone higher up the chain please call me because that was unacceptable.

Blake then called me and told me I signed the deal sheet agreeing to Standard financing. I told him that Julio lied to me telling me that 0% was not available and I asked what my options were. He said that he would give the 0% option BUT ONLY if I would be willing to pay $2,000 more for the car. That was insulting. I asked Blake if I could return the car and unwind the deal. He said ABSOLUTELY NOT. I told him that I was lied to by Julio telling me they never offer 0% + Cash but all he wanted to talk about was I signed the deal sheet agreeing to standard financing.

I have no issue with Dan in Sales. When I asked him about the 0% interest rate he was honest and he told me he does not get involved in that part of the business and that I would need to speak to the Business Finance manager about rates.

My issue was with Blake’s “tough luck Mr. Customer”, attitude and Julio’s failure to know the special offers, which should be his job.

JerrtR responded privately on 11/14/15 11:26 AM

Mr. Miracle,

First off I want to once again make it clear that I have no issue with our sales rep, Dan. He was easy to deal with, was honest and very personable. I would not hesitate doing business with him or recommending him as a sales rep. When I asked Dan about the 0% interest rate he told me he does not get involved in that and I would need to discuss it with F&I.

Would you please let Julio and Blake know that I also responded to the Nissan Survey. I let them know that I was lied to at closing by telling me Nissan never offers 0% APR plus cash back and the only rate available to me was 3.99%. You can also inform them that I sent NMAC a check to pay off the NMAC loan and as of yesterday 11/12/15 the loan is paid off. This all could have been avoided had Blake's attitude been different. Had Julio really not been aware of the Leaf 0% APR offer, Blake should have called me to explain that to me and apologize for Julio's error. But instead Blake took the hard line "you signed the deal sheet where it stated STD NMAC financing, tough luck Mr. Customer and if you want 0% you need to pay us another $2,000." Now it's too late. Perhaps Blake will learn from this and be better next time. Perhaps Southerlin Nissan needs to create a Customer Recovery process in addition to Customer Satisfaction process, to handle situations when mistakes turn off customers and potentially loose them for life. I hope this is a good learning experience for your organization.

That's why I hate the car buying process. I would have walked out of I knew there was 0% + $5000 cashback and they didn't offered it to me. I think you have to carry the loan for three months before the dealer gets their commission. So the dealer got nothing.

I just finished a round and round with a Hyundai dealership. I had wanted to test drive an Ionic EV and PHEV, in part to collect a $50 gift card, in part to persuade my housemate to upgrade to a PHEV with electric heat and more AER. (It turns out the Ionic isn't the car for that heater.) I used email, because I know about the slow grilling that happens in person. It took several days and abut 4 emails just to find out that there are NO Ionics in stock at the Albany Hyundai dealership, despite the website listing several of them. The response from the sales critter to that?

I will be happy to discuss this issue with you. We cant keep them in stock for more than 15 minutes!! We do have some coming in and people are putting deposits on them before they ever even hit the premises. We again will be happy to discuss this with you and give you other options if you're interested.

Two days after that, the website still shows 5 Ionics in stock, two of them EVs. They are, I think, the same ones.

Back