Do electric cars exist?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SageBrush said:
OP: what is your connection to Fenix ?

I've interviewed Fenix over phone/email but am not an employee/investor or customer of any kind - this is more of an academic project for me. No personal connection beyond that. Thanks for checking!

PrairieLEAF said:
Blame the EPA! My understanding is that they docked the official range estimate of the 2011/2012 LEAF due to it having the 80% charge feature, so Nissan removed it.

Do what Tesla does. Let the user set a charge limit to any percentage. The EPA hasn't docked them...

Lothsahn said:
PrairieLEAF said:
Blame the EPA! My understanding is that they docked the official range estimate of the 2011/2012 LEAF due to it having the 80% charge feature, so Nissan removed it.

Do what Tesla does. Let the user set a charge limit to any percentage. The EPA hasn't docked them...

Exactly

So either nissan is too stupid to figure that out or they didnt want you to have that feature.

danrjones said:
Lothsahn said:
PrairieLEAF said:

Exactly
So either nissan is too stupid to figure that out or they didnt want you to have that feature.
Those are the only two possibilities ? LOL

I've always guessed that Nissan has negligible resources dedicated to LEAF and those involved have more pressing concerns.

danrjones said:
Lothsahn said:
PrairieLEAF said:

Exactly

The way Nissan worded the owner information made 100% charging seem to be an extraordinary event tantamount to deliberate abuse, which I think is why EPA decided to dock them. Imho, if you tell owners they really must charge to 80% to avoid crippling their car, then the "real" range has to take that into account.
Then the whole battery mess blew up and my impression is that they simply canned the whole partial charge concept to get rid of any allusion to battery weaknesses. I don't imagine that it was a binary choice forced upon them by EPA. Clearly, other automakers have partial charging features. If this were actually a result of selective EPA enforcement, Nissan would have a clear case to overturn it.

golfcart said:
WetEV said:
johnlocke said:
You mean a 20KWH Leaf with 50-60 mile range in good weather? I don't know about you but I find that unacceptable.

With a 20 mile commute, this would be very acceptable. National median commute is just under 20 miles round trip.

For the right person I agree 100% because how much range one needs is entirely unique to their circumstances. If you have a 150 mile daily commute then you need 250+ miles of range to make sure you can still make that commute in winter 10 years from now but if you only have a 10 mile commute and you're in a two car household (where the leaf is a grocery-getter and commuter) then 60 miles of range is great. That's why I don't get what these other posters mean by "range is a strawman argument"...
You make the point for me. Most people bought their Leaf as a commuter car. They don't drive more than 30 mi/day and usually have access to a ICE for longer trips. Range on a single charge is irrelevant. What does matter is how long the battery lasts in typical use. That includes charging it to 100% because Nissan doesn't have a option to charge it to a lower value. If you live in the right climate, that 30KWH battery will last a long time and if you only need to drive it 20 miles a day, it might last the life of the car. If you have a 55 mi commute like I do and need A/C in the Summer and Heat in the Winter, then the 30KWH doesn't look too good. The truth of the matter is that unless you're a mechanic and can buy a salvaged battery and intstall it yourself, it probably makes more sense to buy a newer lightly used Leaf instead. It's hard to make the case for buying a replacement battery for $8K for an older Leaf let alone $17K.

Oilpan4 said:
SageBrush said:
Oilpan4 said:
The highest voltage I have seen on my home chademo is 400v.
And the Amps were ?

It's limited to 20 amps.
High 390s and 400 is usually where it starts to taper depending on temperature.
And where would the taper occur from 100 Amps ?
That *was* the point of the discussion

johnlocke said:
golfcart said:
WetEV said:
With a 20 mile commute, this would be very acceptable. National median commute is just under 20 miles round trip.

For the right person I agree 100% because how much range one needs is entirely unique to their circumstances. If you have a 150 mile daily commute then you need 250+ miles of range to make sure you can still make that commute in winter 10 years from now but if you only have a 10 mile commute and you're in a two car household (where the leaf is a grocery-getter and commuter) then 60 miles of range is great. That's why I don't get what these other posters mean by "range is a strawman argument"...
You make the point for me. Most people bought their Leaf as a commuter car. They don't drive more than 30 mi/day and usually have access to a ICE for longer trips. Range on a single charge is irrelevant. What does matter is how long the battery lasts in typical use. That includes charging it to 100% because Nissan doesn't have a option to charge it to a lower value. If you live in the right climate, that 30KWH battery will last a long time and if you only need to drive it 20 miles a day, it might last the life of the car. If you have a 55 mi commute like I do and need A/C in the Summer and Heat in the Winter, then the 30KWH doesn't look too good. The truth of the matter is that unless you're a mechanic and can buy a salvaged battery and intstall it yourself, it probably makes more sense to buy a newer lightly used Leaf instead. It's hard to make the case for buying a replacement battery for $8K for an older Leaf let alone $17K.

Range is never irrelevant you just need enough of it to do what u want to do for as long as you need to do it. There are multiple ways to accomplish that including oversized batteries that degrade or smaller batteries that don’t degrade as much. Maybe we define straw man differently. I’ve consistently made the point that I think a $17k battery in a 5+ year old leaf is a terrible investment and that a used gen 2 is a much better value. It sounds like u agree with me 100% so I’m not clear how you’re disagreeing with me or what your actual point is in regards to my prior posts.

cwerdna said:
Used '17 Bolts are less than $22K now. I'd imagine the prices will come down when the '17s come off their 3 year leases and their CA HOV stickers expire. Bolt began shipping in mid-Dec 2016.
I took a peek at https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?mdId=36274172&mkId=20053&page=1&perPage=20&rd=99999&searchSource=GN_REFINEMENT&sort=price-lowest&stkTypId=28881&zc=00001. I see some used Chevy Bolts going for under $17K now and some of those are at Chevy dealers. (Yeah yeah, 2017 to 2019 Bolts are only 60 kWh.)

Bolts have 8 year/100K mile warranties (from original in-service date) on the battery pack, drive unit and EV bits.

Hey all - original thread poster here. Battery prices have come down substantially even in the 8 months or so since I posted this; my guess is that a properly mass-produced 70 kWh cooled pack would cost just around $10k today. Feel free to disregard the cost estimated in the title.

Drop $10k into a 3-10 year old car based on a 10 year old design? Ummm, in a word, no. Still no.

Might turn into the collector’s car of the century, I suppose, but I have a long list of better things to drop $10k on.

$2-3k? Maybe. Probably not. The original Leaf just isn’t that compelling to me personally, even as an in-town runabout for reasons discussed above.

YMMV. I’m sure there are folks on this board who may feel differently.

Edit: clarified after re-reading the thread.

FWIW, I don't think 70 kWh is the sweet spot for me - at least, not for an older LEAF because the driver's seat just isn't comfortable enough for 3 to 4 hours of non-stop driving. After a couple of hours of driving, I need a break anyways.

So for me, a 40 kWh pack costing no more than $4500 installed (i.e. $4500 for new pack + $750 for labor, less $750 trade-in for old pack), would be of interest - as long as there are no rapidgate issues with DC charging on longer trips.

Only a year ago, I was pretty cynical about "affordable" battery upgrades becoming available within 5 years, but pioneers like Emile Nijssen (https://muxsan.com), Daniel Oster aka Dala, and others have made the retrofitting of LEAF packs a procedure that any competent mechanic can do in a few hours...

If replacement LEAF pack prices drop to $100 per kWh or so, then count me in for a 40 kWh pack :)

alozzy said:
FWIW, I don't think 70 kWh is the sweet spot for me - at least, not for an older LEAF because the driver's seat just isn't comfortable enough for 3 to 4 hours of non-stop driving. After a couple of hours of driving, I need a break anyways.

Yes, I'd agree. 45-55 kWh is a good compromise between affordability and range - it's such a shame the non-plus ZE1 cars don't have active cooling, because they'd be almost flawless cars if they could QC occasionally without overheating.

Ben Nelson aka Dala (https://300mpg.org/)

Haha, Ben Nelson is great, but he isn't Dala! Dala is Daniel: https://dalasevrepair.fi

Back